Just off the Silhouette - wonderful time!

DENIE

I just posted this in the "Ship Reviews", but also posting here...

We are now 1 week off of the Celebrity Silhouette.  This was our second cruise on Celebrity, and the first on an S-class ship.  This was the 9-night Southern Caribbean cruise (from Ft. Lauderdale) with port stops in Grand Cayman, Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire.  We were traveling as a party of 3 – my wife, her sister, and I (call us in our “late 50’s”).  We enjoyed the layout, and it was not hard to navigate and find our way around.  I’m going to try and cover all the basics here…

BOARDING – Was very simple and organized.  We got to use the new terminal 25 that was remodeled for the Edge.  It is the prettiest cruise terminal I have ever been in.  From drop-off to boarding was not much more than a half-hour, and we were on board by around 11:30.

STATEROOM – We were in a verandah B2 room #7336 on the starboard side.  It is along a very long hall, and considerable distance from an elevator.  We did not find that to be a problem, as it was very quiet the whole cruise.  We would book this room again.  Furnishings were in fine shape; everything was clean and well cared for by our steward Nawaz.  After the first night, we asked for a foam topper for my SIL on the sofa, and for wife and I on the bed – it was promptly in place the next evening.  Contents of the refrigerator were removed at our request in order to have storage for water bottles. The room functioned well with 3 adults – my SIL brought ceiling magnets and hung a shower curtain between the bed and sofa for a bit of privacy.

FOOD – we had 4 meals in specialty dining.  We so loved the table-side presentations in Murano (lobster and Chateaubriand) the first night, that we decided to repeat the meal on the last night.  Upon boarding, we took immediate advantage of a 30% discount for Murano.  These were, without question, the best 2 meals of the cruise. Both times we were waited on by Marco (who also prepared the food tableside). His service was incredible! We also dined a Sushi on 5, and felt the quality and experience was quiet good.  On the next to last night, there was someone drumming up business for the Lawn Club Grill, again offering a discount.  We gave it a try and were quite impressed!  It was fun to watch your meat grilled for you, and the atmosphere was very casual (shorts were OK!).  My wife had the veal, and my SIL and I had the filet – all done to perfection and very tender and flavorful!

We did not eat many meals in the Ocean View, but always found something good.  My wife enjoyed the Indian curries, as well as the herring.  We enjoyed the salad bar for lunches. Lines for made-to-order eggs were a bit crazy, especially on sea days, but this was expected. We had no dinners in the Ocean View, so cannot vouch for those offerings.

The MDR we found to be very good most evenings (as always, some entrees better than others, but nothing that had to be returned).  Portions were well managed.  We did anytime dining and were usually seated between 5-15 minutes.  We were always seated at a table for only the 3 of us, which was perfect.  We were usually in tables waited on by Michael or Justo – who were very entertaining and fun!  Our wine sommelier in both sections was Milan, who attentively asked what we were ordering, and brought a wine that paired nicely (we had the premium beverage package, so made this easy!).  He kept the glasses topped off too!  We enjoyed ordering several appetizers and sharing. 

The Café al Bacio is awesome!  Coffee’s and drinks are served very quickly, and the pastries are really good.  We always started our day with me bringing latte’s and teas back for the ladies.

Food is always so subjective. My only comment about this is that we very much enjoyed the food and the service.  We are on vacation, and there is nothing like being served by an attentive staff.

ENTERTAINMENT – There was always something to see.  The production shows were good, and the cast was talented (though we enjoyed the production shows on the Infinity better last year).  The couple comedians were very funny (and clean!).  Special guests in the theatre included pianist/entertainer John Bressler, and The Modern Gentlemen (quartet singing music of Frankie Valli and others) – both of these were awesome! 

In the lounges (Ensemble Lounge mostly) and lobby, we particularly enjoyed the sounds of Wild Fire (a couple who played the guitar and sang) and Renaissance (two lovely young ladies on violin and cello).  We did not participate in any of the games, or poolside activities.  We did not make it to the Observation Bar for evening offerings either, as we were content to wind down in the Ensemble Lounge.

BARS/LOUNGES – We primarily enjoyed the Martini Bar, Passport Bar, and Ensemble Lounge.  My SIL bought her beverage package from Iwan in the Martini Bar upon boarding (and we upgraded to premium with him).  He took EXCELLENT care of us the whole trip, and always remembered our likes, or suggested something we might want to try.  Pradeep took wonderful care of us for our evenings in the Ensemble Lounge.

I will say that Sue Denning is an incredible cruise director (and funny!).  We also attended the Ship Navigation offering by Captain George on the last sea day.  Very informative, and he stayed until all questions from passengers had been answered.

We did the ship's excursions to see stingrays in Grand Cayman, and Sunset Catamaran cocktail cruise in Aruba.  We did a wonderful private tour booked through "Around Curacao" in Curacao (Sharmond was our driver) - highly recommended and very reasonable (also travel in a newer air-conditioned SUV!).  We did Woodwind snorkeling in Bonaire, and also highly recommend as they work well with people new to snorkeling!

Overall, we had an excellent time on this cruise, and were very sad to have to leave.  Any day on a cruise ship is better than just about anything else.  The staff on this ship, with only a couple exceptions not worth mentioning, were very personable and eager to please.  I would repeat this experience in a heartbeat!

Edited by DENIE
Added better spacing
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Love the Silly, and so happy that you enjoyed her too...traveling with friends/family is always a great way to travel.  I also enjoy S class ships; the longer cruise, the better. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your review! We are looking forward to Silhouette in January and it's nice to have confirmation of what we expect! Sue was our cruise director on one of our Eclipse sailings, so we know what to expect! 🙂 I especially appreciate your positive report. I agree with you... cruising is always better than work! We always cruise in Aqua, and enjoy Blu, but might try one of the specialty restaurants, especially after your review. The one question I have is with respect to your "Around Curacao" in Curacao excursion. Would you be so kind to send me a private message with more information about that? (I'm not sure if you are allowed to speak publicly about it here or not... and don't want to upset the moderators!) Thank you!

• Thanks 1

OP: thanks for your review, and so glad you had a wonderful time on the Silhouette.  She's our favorite ship.  We just returned from her westbound TA a few weeks ago, and had an excellent time.   Sue Denning was the Cruise Director then as well, and we also thought she was terrific, and funny.  I'm glad you enjoyed John Bressler -- he's one of the best performers we've ever seen on a cruise ship.

37 minutes ago, RealBatman said:

The one question I have is with respect to your "Around Curacao" in Curacao excursion. Would you be so kind to send me a private message with more information about that? (I'm not sure if you are allowed to speak publicly about it here or not... and don't want to upset the moderators!) Thank you!

It's perfectly fine to share information about private tour operators and shore excursions here on Cruise Critic.  In fact, that's a large part of the discussion on the Ports of Call boards and Roll Calls.   (Also, there's no private messaging function on CC.)

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RealBatman, Shadow9612 and Turtles06 - thanks for your kind comments.  Yes, this was a fantastic cruise.

RealBatman - I came across "Around Curacao" by researching the Internet.  In fact, if you google "Around Curacao", you will find they come up right away in various prominent travel sites.  Notice their percentage of 5-star reviews.  This company only has 2 drivers, Andy or Sharmond, so book early.  They will customize a tour for you - we did 6 hours for the 3 of us.  Sharmond was our driver - so personable, friendly, and good driver.  He has a newer air-conditioned Toyota Highlander SUV.  This tour was about $86 per person for the 6 hours.  We communicated and made arrangements through the email address found on their site.  All emails were responded to within a day.  Andy emailed photos of he and Sharmond so we would know them when we met at the designated site, which was very easy to find once off the ship - about a 10 minute walk.  We would book them again if we go back.

Shadow9612 - we made some tentative plans with Andy and Sharmond ahead of time.  We wanted to see the island, and love history, etc.  We actually asked Sharmond to "show us what you think we should see as a first time visitor".  We saw the historic downtown (beautiful! UNESCO world-heritage site), and then went on a driving tour of the east and west side of the island.  Beautiful scenery!  Lots of cactus and small mountains.  Ocean views.  On the west side, we went to the Shete Boka blow hole, which was very impressive.  Then Sharmond drove us to a small cave along the shore where the waves poured in....quite a trip, and we got a bit wet!  Lots of fun!  He took us to an out of the way cafe along a bluff overlooking the sea for lunch.  Great seafood, all local!  Plus, we tried iguana stew...tastes like chicken LOL! 

Let me know if this answers your questions....I'll check back on this post.  If not, I will respond again.  It is helpful to check out the actual ports of call on Cruise Critic, although I found that some of these islands are a bit slow moving in terms of responses, and don't get a lot of traffic.

I neglected to point out one additional thing.....I must comment on the fellow passengers.  This was such a HAPPY SHIP!!  People were in good moods, people conversed in the elevator, in the hallways, in the lounges, etc.  This cruise was a true pleasure!  My wife and I like to travel with rose-colored glasses, and we always have a great time!!

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, RealBatman said:

EXCELLENT! Thank you very much Denie. Well written, and informative. We have been to Curacao twice now, so this would make for a great day. 

You will not be disappointed.  🙂

• Thanks 1

I'll be sailing on the Silhouette on January 2 (19 days, who's counting?).  Good to know all is well on board. I've never been to Bonaire or Curacao. We have booked the Woodwind snorkeling tour for the afternoon and are trying to decide whether to take a taxi tour to see the Flamingos and slat flats in the morning or just go hang out on a beach. We are still also undecided on Curacao so I'll have to look up your tour suggestion. Thanks! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, basil1 said:

I'll be sailing on the Silhouette on January 2 (19 days, who's counting?).  Good to know all is well on board. I've never been to Bonaire or Curacao. We have booked the Woodwind snorkeling tour for the afternoon and are trying to decide whether to take a taxi tour to see the Flamingos and slat flats in the morning or just go hang out on a beach. We are still also undecided on Curacao so I'll have to look up your tour suggestion. Thanks!  

Basil1 - the staff on Woodwind were so helpful, as we had never been snorkeling before.  They are great at working with everyone regardless of experience or ability.  Wonderful experience!

23 hours ago, DENIE said:

we made some tentative plans with Andy and Sharmond ahead of time.  We wanted to see the island, and love history, etc.  We actually asked Sharmond to "show us what you think we should see as a first time visitor". 

Fantastic - thank you so much for the additional information.  Again, wonderful review. 

I especially appreciate (and agree) with your comment about the Silhouette being a "HAPPY SHIP "! 

• Thanks 1

Basil1 - the staff on Woodwind were so helpful, as we had never been snorkeling before.  They are great at working with everyone regardless of experience or ability.  Wonderful experience!

Thanks. Great to know. We've been snorkeling before but it's been a long time.

Around Curacao doesn't have any availability on their tours on our date :-(

On 12/16/2018 at 5:58 AM, basil1 said:

Basil1 - the staff on Woodwind were so helpful, as we had never been snorkeling before.  They are great at working with everyone regardless of experience or ability.  Wonderful experience!

Thanks. Great to know. We've been snorkeling before but it's been a long time.

Around Curacao doesn't have any availability on their tours on our date 😞

So sorry about Around Curacao.  It does not surprise me as they are only 2 people, and a growing reputation...

Good luck on your cruise!

Thanks for your review.  Was on the same sailing as you and echo a lot of what you stated in the review.  This was my first time on Celebrity.  Loved Murano and had surf and turf for dinner.  Loved the food and service.  Also loved the room service menu for breakfast with the hot items.  Enjoyed the Hideaway on Deck 7.  Nice place to people watch and read a book.   Overall,  had a great time.

• Thanks 1

mj - yes, loved the whimsical Hideaway.  I took advantage of it a couple of times!  Was a great place to escape.  Used the Library a couple times as well on sea days.  We really enjoyed the number of spaces where you could go and just relax.

5 hours ago, RealDeal said:

Hi Denie. I'll be on SIL in a few weeks. Did not buy a specialty dining pkg but am interested in Lawn Club Grill specifically. Did you find that discounts were frequently offered? Was it crowded when you went? 

I'll let Denie and others answer as to the most recent cruises, but on our TA in November, there was a great deal of discounting going on, but the weather was not really suitable for outdoor dining!  Still, we had a wonderful dinner there, trying most of the kebabs.  Don't fill up on the flatbread, you need room for the warm chocolate chip cookie.  (Tip: have them serve the vanilla ice cream on the side, not on top of the cookie, or it will make the cookie too soggy.)

The Silhouette is our favorite ship.  Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Turtles06

19 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I'll let Denie and others answer as to the most recent cruises, but on our TA in November, there was a great deal of discounting going on, but the weather was not really suitable for outdoor dining!  Still, we had a wonderful dinner there, trying most of the kebabs.  Don't fill up on the flatbread, you need room for the warm chocolate chip cookie.  (Tip: have them serve the vanilla ice cream on the side, not on top of the cookie, or it will make the cookie too soggy.)

The Silhouette is our favorite ship.  Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks, Turtles06. Yes, we love the Silhouette & Lawn Club is the only specialty restaurant we'll eat at, so we're quite familiar! Since they screwed around with the package pricing, it dzn't even make sense to buy it ahead of time, so I'm holding out.

7 minutes ago, RealDeal said:

Thanks, Turtles06. Yes, we love the Silhouette & Lawn Club is the only specialty restaurant we'll eat at, so we're quite familiar! Since they screwed around with the package pricing, it dzn't even make sense to buy it ahead of time, so I'm holding out.

Great, happy to know you've been aboard as well!  As I mentioned on a review thread I posted here when we got back, we regretted buying the 6-night specialty dining package (we'd gotten a good sale price on it pre-cruise) for our 15-night TA, for two reasons.  First, the food and service in the MDR were excellent, and Tuscan Grill, where we were expecting to eat at least two of those dinners, maybe even three, had really gone down hill since we'd last been aboard.  Murano was excellent, but we can only do one of those meals on a cruise.  

I hope you have a great time.

27 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Great, happy to know you've been aboard as well!  As I mentioned on a review thread I posted here when we got back, we regretted buying the 6-night specialty dining package (we'd gotten a good sale price on it pre-cruise) for our 15-night TA, for two reasons.  First, the food and service in the MDR were excellent, and Tuscan Grill, where we were expecting to eat at least two of those dinners, maybe even three, had really gone down hill since we'd last been aboard.  Murano was excellent, but we can only do one of those meals on a cruise.  

I hope you have a great time.

Funny, I did read your post about regretting buying 6...forgot that was you. Also funny...we were on the REF TA & bought the 4-night pkg & somewhat regretted that b/c, like you, we found the MDR to be particularly good. We agree that Tuscan has gone downhill.