Portland ME Car rental

little britain

The only car hire place I can see is Enterprise which is about 30 mins walk from the pier.

Has anyone hired a car here?  

Recommended routes - we were going to drive up to Windham (see the covered bridge) and then over to Wiscasset and back via Harpswell.  Is this feasible in 6 hrs?

TIA

2 hours ago, little britain said:

The only car hire place I can see is Enterprise which is about 30 mins walk from the pier.

Recommended routes - we were going to drive up to Windham (see the covered bridge) and then over to Wiscasset and back via Harpswell.  Is this feasible in 6 hrs?

TIA

I'm seeing a Auto Europe car rental that is close to the port.  Most of the car rentals will be at the airport.

little britain ~

A couple of years ago, I rented a car from the Enterprise office at number 1 Marginal Way. I assume that is the Enterprise location to which you refer?

A note (under “Miscellaneous Policy”) on the Enterprise web page for that office says: “Branch offers a shuttle service from the cruise-ferry terminal 1.3 miles away as well as pick ups at the train and bus station... Please call the local branch at 207-772-0030 to coordinate being picked up.” (I didn't take advantage of this service when I picked up the car, but after I dropped the car off on my return, one of the agents drove me to the train station.)

The agents I dealt with were friendly and efficient. The Marginal Way office has the advantage of being located adjacent to an entrance/exit to I-295, which is the highway you will take initially en route to Wiscasset. As you approach New Brunswick, take exit 28 to merge onto Route U.S. 1 North and follow the signs toward Bath/Boothbay/Rockland. Depending on the time of day and the amount of traffic, the drive from Portland to Wiscasset should takes about an hour or less.

Wiscasset itself is quite compact and well worth exploring on foot. There's a plethora of attractive shops and galleries on Main Street, in the heart of town, but don't neglect the side streets (e.g., High Street, Federal Street, etc.), where you'll find a number of quintessentially early-American/ New England colonial-/Federal period homes built in the 1700s-1800s by sea captains and prosperous merchants. 

I regret to say that I've not yet explored the Harpswell peninsula, but everything I've read has persuaded me that it's well worth visiting, more for general natural beauty than for any one specific sight, so I would definitely make that a stop on your way back to Portland (or en route to Wiscasset, if you prefer). I don't know Windham at all; I probably would be inclined to drop that from the itinerary if you are pressed for time. I estimate that including Windham in your itinerary would add an hour or so to your overall time.

1 hour ago, little britain said:

I’ve never seen a covered bridge...hence my reason for Windham!!

I don't think I have ever seen anyone mention it on here before. Most folks want to know about the lighthouses, LL Bean, where to get lobster etc etc.   Someone wanting to visit Babb's Bridge in my (not so)little hometown is pretty cool.  Hope you enjoy it.  There isn't really anything else to see in Windham though...unless you want to see Sebago Lake. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, little britain said:

TIA

Time of year will be important.  US Route 1 is the main road to Wiscasset and Harpswell, and can be nearly a parking lot at times in summer.  Your trip is doable, and I've been to all three places (though with the number of covered bridges in New England, I've never been to the Windham one), but I feel that you will be spending a lot of time driving to spend a little time seeing something that is considered "picturesque".  "Officially" Windham to Wiscasset is an hour drive, but it really will take longer, as Route 1 goes through all the towns, has stoplights and 30 and 40 mph speed zones.  Same with going to Harpswell and back to Portland.

Search the Canada/New England forum for my previous posts regarding things to do in and around Portland.  The one thing I tell folks not to do is go visit Portland Head Light.  If you are just looking for sights of lighthouses, get up early, go on deck about 45 minutes before docking in Portland, and you will get the chance for a photo of the Head Light from a different perspective than most people get, from sea, with the land in the background.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2018 at 7:31 AM, little britain said:

TIA

Hi Leslie

Susan (and Michael) from Vancouver, here.  We met on the TA last year on the Navigator.  I see you are doing the Canada New England cruise in September.  We are on the Adventure leaving Cape Liberty on the 6th of September and were also wondering about renting a car in Portland.  We were there this year and just walked around on our own and it was beautiful.

30 minutes ago, susan2305 said:

Hi Leslie

Susan (and Michael) from Vancouver, here.  We met on the TA last year on the Navigator.  I see you are doing the Canada New England cruise in September.  We are on the Adventure leaving Cape Liberty on the 6th of September and were also wondering about renting a car in Portland.  We were there this year and just walked around on our own and it was beautiful.

Nice to hear from you!  Hope you are well! We had a wonderful day in Vancouver in June after our Alaska cruise - what a great city!

If you do the car rental before us then please post your experiences!

@chengkp75 - we will be there in late September and we are used to 30mph speed limits!  DH is a photographer so trying to get the bridge with the foliage would be great (if the leaves are playing ball that is!).  Thanks for the tip re the lighthouse on the way in - it is already in my notes and the alarm will be set!!!!  I am guessing it is portside as we enter?

Edited by little britain

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Nice to hear from you!  Hope you are well! We had a wonderful day in Vancouver in June after our Alaska cruise - what a great city!

If you do the car rental before us then please post your experiences!

@chengkp75 - we will be there in late September and we are used to 30mph speed limits!  DH is a photographer so trying to get the bridge with the foliage would be great (if the leaves are playing ball that is!).  Thanks for the tip re the lighthouse on the way in - it is already in my notes and the alarm will be set!!!!  I am guessing it is portside as we enter?

Late September in southern Maine may be a little early for fall foliage, but it does vary year to year.  Yes, Portland Head will be on the port side, but there can be even better perspectives from forward or aft areas (from the stern, you would be pointing somewhat easterly, so catching the sunrise to one side.  The ship will be pretty close to the light as you round the Head.  If you are looking mainly for photo opportunities, you can also look at Three Islands, at the end of Georgetown Island (turn off Route 1 just north of Bath, between Wiscasset and Harpswell (turn off at Brunswick).  When going to Harpswell, go all the way to "Lands End" on Bailey's Island.

While Wiscasset is billed as the "prettiest town in the US", the real draw for me were the wrecks of the schooners Hesper and Luthor Little, that were in Wiscasset since 1934, but were finally demolished in 1998.

• 3 weeks later...

We have rented from Enterprise in Portland and it was a good experience. We walked both ways between the port and rental agency. 

On that stop we went to the Portland Head Light  and then to Kennebunk and Kennebunkport. We took I-95 to Kennebunk then some back roads heading between towns and back to Portland.  It was a very nice day.

We have been to Wiscasset but not on a cruise stop. The famous Red’s Eats with huge lobster rolls is also in Wiscasset.