Southern Caribbean--June? Sept? January?

allesonwonderland

I'm thinking a Southern Caribbean cruise might be a great way to celebrate our anniversary. But, usually I'm a 'book a cruise 2 years in advance' type of gal, so I'm feeling kind of behind. Our anniversary is in June, but I worry that might be too hot for a Southern cruise. We could postpone it til September when the kids are back in school, I started looking at ships, itineraries, cabins, then realized fall is rainy season and hurricane season. Do I need to be looking at January? Most of our other cruises were over spring break, so I've never had so many choices before. Ha!

Thanks in advance for your insight!

I took a Southern Caribbean cruise last September from Miami that went to the Grand Cayman, Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, and Key West. There isn't much of a temperature variation once you leave Miami, although the humidity is fairly high. Some recommendations...

• Grand Cayman - If this is your first trip, I highly recommend taking a tour which includes the stingrays. The water is absolute CLEAR. 
  • Bonaire - Strongly suggest going scuba diving at Woodwind Bonaire. 

The weather in the southern Caribbean does not vary much during the year - only by a few degrees - hovering year round in the 80's. The southern Caribbean islands - to include Barbados, Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire in particular - are below the hurricane zone and would only very rarely be affected by storms.  So other than en route to get there, the June to November hurricane season time frame would not be a factor either.  Keep in mind most 7 night southern Caribbean itineraries depart out of San Juan, and many of those are in the fall to spring season.  Longer itineraries will typically depart out of Florida.

So that all being said, of the months you indicate, January would probably be a good choice.

Thanks for all the opinions. Our dating anniversary is in January, so that still counts, right? :classic_biggrin:

That gives me more time to plan as well. I had read about the ABC islands, so I'm keeping those in mind. I'll need to research Puerto Rico departures as well. I saw Carnival Horizon has an 8 day Southern itinerary out of FL, that would be the newest ship we've sailed on, so that might be neat.

Early January isn't always a popular time to travel - too soon after Christmas and New Year - and prices may reflect it so it's a great time to take advantage of escaping to the beautiful warm southern Caribbean.

Once you're at the end of January and into February, you're in peak season for Caribbean cruising, before Spring Break hits, and prices will show that too. Not just cruises but flights and hotels that may be part of your journey to the cruise too.

We always do January, or early February, but that is only because it's -25 degrees here at that time 🙂 

However, the weather in the Southern Caribbean is pretty steady year round, so any time you choose should work for temps. Choose what time works best for you two!!

The temps in the sub-tropics are pretty even year-round, but if you check weatherspark.com you'll see that the humidity (and comfort-level) dips over late January to February. Just saying.

ETA: the humidity dips and the comfort-level rises!

Edited by crystalspin