things stolen - what would you do?

InGearX

hi my dear Cruise Critic family ... happy holidays. 🙂

we need your help - please be so kind to advise: my mother and her friend are on board of NCL ship sailed out of NYC

upon boarding they made a mistake and put their coats into cabin next to theirs as theirs was locked

they went to eat

upon return they found their expensive coats ~$2000 each to be missing 😕

new people inside the cabin said they do not know anything

and were not permitted to check ... security was called ... and tried to mediate ... mediate

my mom asked to review the CCTV but security said it is not that simple as it in US ... they sail and are governed under Bahama flag ... so somethibg prevents them from doing that ... they made a formal request in writing and are awaiting for a formal reply

security / personnel sympathized with them and are trying to comfort them by saying do not worry, mayne they will turn up...

but said that they are not able to search a cabin, but even if they did and found it they are not able to do anything under the law ... regulations .. restrictions ... legal aspect ... 

what would you do?

what could be done?

please be so kind to advise ... thank you  ...

10 minutes ago, InGearX said:

we need your help - please be so kind to advise: my mother and her friend are on board of NCL ship sailed out of NYC

upon boarding they made a mistake and put their coats into cabin next to theirs as theirs was locked

they went to eat

and were not permitted to check ... security was called ... and tried to mediate ... mediate

my mom asked to review the CCTV but security said it is not that simple as it in US ... they sail and are governed under Bahama flag ... so somethibg prevents them from doing that ... they made a formal request in writing and are awaiting for a formal reply

security / personnel sympathized with them and are trying to comfort them by saying do not worry, mayne they will turn up...

but said that they are not able to search a cabin, but even if they did and found it they are not able to do anything under the law ... regulations .. restrictions ... legal aspect ... 

what would you do?

what could be done?

I do not believe you when you say that security can NOT view their OWN security footage.  That is #1 where this falls apart. 

Secondly, WHY would someone/anyone put their personal belongings in a cabin that was NOT their own cabin!  That doesn't compute ... on any level. This is a coat check room!  If I am wearing a $2000+ fur coat ... I am NOT leaving it in a cabin that doesn't belong to ME/MY reservation!  

Thirdly, ALL cabins are locked.  NONE are unlocked ... how did they get INTO the cabin?  

This doesn't fly ... on a lot of levels. 

Edited by CruiseGal999
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, InGearX said:

they went to eat

what would you do?

what could be done?

Two(!) $2000 coats and they're on an NCL cruise? 👀

As mentioned by the previous poster, the entire story sounds bogus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with the first two responses. Something doesn't add up. If they had a paid for the first cabin, they would have had key cards to get into them, so why do they say their cabin was locked? And why would anyone put anything in a cabin that isn't theirs? They shouldn't be putting anything in someone else's cabin, much less $2000 coats! That makes absolutely no sense at all. I wouldn't leave a cheap sweater unattended, much less two very expensive coats. And the entire situation with security is very dubious.

This is sounding very fishy to me. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sloopsailor said:

I agree with the first two responses. Something doesn't add up. If they had a paid for the first cabin, they would have had key cards to get into them, so why do they say their cabin was locked? And why would anyone put anything in a cabin that isn't theirs? They shouldn't be putting anything in someone else's cabin, much less $2000 coats! That makes absolutely no sense at all. I wouldn't leave a cheap sweater unattended, much less two very expensive coats. And the entire situation with security is very dubious.

This is sounding very fishy to me. 

Your right ... I completely looked past the fact that they would HAVE the keycard to the cabin.  

Hmmm - are the previous posters guilty of shooting first & asking questions after?

Yes it all sounds very strange, but perhaps that's in part down to the second-hand telling.

There are certainly times on embarkation day when folk don't have access to their cabin.

And cabins most certainly aren't always locked, especially but not solely on embarkation day.  I've walked past dozens of cabins with the doors wide open as stewards are going about their duties. Hellfire, how many times have you been as nosey as me to glance in to see what other cabins look like?

And on the matter of "we're not permitted to view our CCTV", altho that argument sounds ridiculous - especially on the high seas - we need a professional like Cheng or Heidi  to give their informed opinion.

But in all walks of life  I've come across misguided and officious jobsworths who don't employ common sense in their replies. Classic case in point - just last week when I phoned to arrange delivery of goods from a store I was asked for my phone number - I gave it and asked for it to be read back to me, as I always do to ensure that it wasn't mis-heard. "I'm sorry, I can't do that, by law I'm not permitted to give out information". Not permitted to confirm the phone number I'd just given??? 

Or mebbe it's as simple as the crew-member not wanting to admit that their CCTV wasn't in working order.

Yes, there are  few things that don't make sense.

For instance....

Leaving coats in the adjoining cabin. Did they do that to avoid the bother of carrying them back to the public areas? Or did the OP misunderstand, & in fact they'd put the coats in the adjoining cabin mistaking it for their own?

And did the OP's mum ask that security check that cabin? Or did she ask that she be allowed to do it?

The OP has enough posts under their belt to be taken seriously, without accusations of "bogus".

So how about asking, rather than accusing?

JB :classic_smile: 

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Hmmm - are the previous posters guilty of shooting first & asking questions after?

Yes it all sounds very strange, but perhaps that's in part down to the second-hand telling.

There are certainly times on embarkation day when folk don't have access to their cabin.

And cabins most certainly aren't always locked, especially but not solely on embarkation day.  I've walked past dozens of cabins with the doors wide open as stewards are going about their duties. Hellfire, how many times have you been as nosey as me to glance in to see what other cabins look like?

And on the matter of "we're not permitted to view our CCTV", altho that argument sounds ridiculous - especially on the high seas - we need a professional like Cheng or Heidi  to give their informed opinion.

But in all walks of life  I've come across misguided and officious jobsworths who don't employ common sense in their replies. Classic case in point - just last week when I phoned to arrange delivery of goods from a store I was asked for my phone number - I gave it and asked for it to be read back to me, as I always do to ensure that it wasn't mis-heard. "I'm sorry, I can't do that, by law I'm not permitted to give out information". Not permitted to confirm the phone number I'd just given??? 

Or mebbe it's as simple as the crew-member not wanting to admit that their CCTV wasn't in working order.

Yes, there are  few things that don't make sense.

For instance....

Leaving coats in the adjoining cabin. Did they do that to avoid the bother of carrying them back to the public areas? Or did the OP misunderstand, & in fact they'd put the coats in the adjoining cabin mistaking it for their own?

And did the OP's mum ask that security check that cabin? Or did she ask that she be allowed to do it?

The OP has enough posts under their belt to be taken seriously, without accusations of "bogus".

So how about asking, rather than accusing?

No, I have to say ... the previous posters are NOT guilty of firing first and asking questions 2nd.  Nothing in the OPs post makes any sense.  

You can try to rationalize it all you want ... do you honestly think people just toss $4000 worth of coats into a stranger's cabin?  Puhlease ... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, InGearX said:

they went to eat

Who in their right minds leave expensive coats in someone else's hotel room, and then expects it to be there when they return?

Of course the mother and friend were not allowed to search someone else's cabin.

Did the woman ask to review the CCTV footage herself, or for Security to review the footage.  Even in the US, without a court order or subpoena, commercial entities are not required to show CCTV footage to anyone outside the company.  Bahamas flag and law, or US flag and law, its that simple. 

This is truly where the story doesn't hold water.  Not only Bahamian law, but international maritime law, and even the cruise line ticket contract, gives the cruise line the right to search any cabin at any time, with or without the passenger's consent or knowledge.  Also, theft is a crime in the Bahamas, so Security, operating under the Captain's "Overriding Authority", granted him by international law, can enforce Bahamian law.  Finally, crimes against US citizens, while on a foreign flag cruise ship, while the ship is in US waters or in international waters, must be reported to the FBI, and the US has claimed extra-territorial jurisdiction over these crimes.

what would you do?

what could be done?

Sorry, John, this rings false on so many levels that I can't help but feel it is either a troll or a hoax.  Having worked for NCL, I know what Security can and can't do, and what the have to do in cases reported like this.

To the OP, if this is in fact a genuine incident, then the only recourse you have is to retain legal representation as this is the only way to determine if this crime was reported to the FBI (since this happened either while still docked in NYC or within a couple of hours, so still within US waters), and to obtain the evidence and incident file that the ship has.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruiseGal999 said:

No, I have to say ... the previous posters are NOT guilty of firing first and asking questions 2nd.  Nothing in the OPs post makes any sense.  

You can try to rationalize it all you want ... do you honestly think people just toss $4000 worth of coats into a stranger's cabin?  Puhlease ... 

No, they didn't shoot & ask questions after - they didn't ask questions at all.

You don't believe  "when you say that security can NOT view their OWN security footage.  That is #1 where this falls apart."

I too can't believe that security can't view their own CCTV footage, but I can certainly believe that is what they were told

Or, as Cheng's post, did they ask to see the footage themselves?

Same as I wondered whether they wanted to search the neighbouring cabin?

Yes, it all sounds very fishy to me too.

But also rather dis-jointed, and perhaps posted in haste. 

But the OP isn't a one-post wonder, so not a troll  & no reason to believe it's a hoax.

So it's ignorant to simply accuse the OP of a bogus story rather than seeking clarification..

The OP mebbe needs to get more precise info & clear up any misunderstanding of what her mom has told her, but acting as judge & jury by jumping to conclusions ain't the way to respond.

And yes, if it was simply a case of deliberately leaving their coats in a neighbouring cabin then clearly that's truly dumb. Hellfire, I wouldn't do that even if I didn't care about the coats, cos leaving them in the care of a stranger is rude & presumptuous. But did the OP get a confused message from mom?  Is that actually what happened? 

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, spookwife said:

I dunno.. 60 posts over decade  doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement of solid respectability.  Account may have been hacked.  

but that aside.. the entire tale is fishy.  nothing about it makes any sense whatsoever.  

If you look at her profile, she has actually only had 4 posts, so I tend to agree with you.

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

People with money don't sail NCL?:classic_laugh: 

Valid question - but NCL is more directed towards the bargain cruiser - who seems to believe the marketing blather like “FREE” drinks, specialty restaurants, etc.

But, on point, leaving valuable coats in an adjoining stateroom is still an excessively stupid - and UNLIKELY - act, and the reported response by the line is similarly unlikely.  If OP is not a troll, he certainly seems to be the sort of gullible pigeon who feeds on troll tripe.

Briefly:   BS!!!!!!

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Valid question - but NCL is more directed towards the bargain cruiser - who seems to believe the marketing blather like “FREE” drinks, specialty restaurants, etc.

But, on point, leaving valuable coats in an adjoining stateroom is still an excessively stupid - and UNLIKELY - act, and the reported response by the line is similarly unlikely.  If OP is not a troll, he certainly seems to be the sort of gullible pigeon who feeds on troll tripe.

Of course, my earlier remark about NCL was a bit sarcastic because picking out someone wearing a multi-thousand dollar coat in a crowd on a large mass narket cruise ship would be like "finding Waldo." But, everyone does have to admit that even the "well-to-do" probably wouldn't have/take a $2k coat on a cruise ship mostly populated by very very budget-conscious folks.

I'll stick with my initial assessment of "bogus.". And, I'm betting this may be an insurance scam in the making (again, TWO $2k coats).   

40 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Price one of their suites and tell me that all NCL cruisers are budget minded😉 (and if you actually price any of their offerings "budget minded" doesn't seem to apply, either, although at one point I believe it did apply). I agree that the story sounds fishy though.

12 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Of course, my earlier remark about NCL was a bit sarcastic because picking out someone wearing a multi-thousand dollar coat in a crowd on a large mass narket cruise ship would be like "finding Waldo." But, everyone does have to admit that even the "well-to-do" probably wouldn't have/take a $2k coat on a cruise ship mostly populated by very very budget-conscious folks.

Wow, I am used to your condescending comments about mass market cruise lines, but can you get any more insulting by implying that 'very budget-conscious' folks are more likely to steal from their fellow passengers? Or maybe you are saying the 'well-to-do' wouldn't want to make the rest of the passengers feel bad?  Either case is a new low.

18 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I'll stick with my initial assessment of "bogus.". And, I'm betting this may be an insurance scam in the making (again, TWO $2k coats).   

There are certainly things in the story that are suspect but NCL isn't the budget minded cruise line that it used to be, not since Del Rio took over.

We have done over 60 cruises only time something was stolen/missing was ncl, ring I had was missing from room reported this to front desk officer looked said they thourly searched cabin and that’s all they could do. We then went though cabin again found a high school ring and other jewelry left by a previous passenger , turned it over to front desk, we no longer cruise ncl. 

35 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Wow, I am used to your condescending comments about mass market cruise lines, but can you get any more insulting by implying that 'very budget-conscious' folks are more likely to steal from their fellow passengers? Or maybe you are saying the 'well-to-do' wouldn't want to make the rest of the passengers feel bad?  Either case is a new low.

No intended implication whatsoever that "budget conscious" folks steal. He'll, I'm as budget conscious as anyone I know. Born in Brooklyn, the first words out of my mouth were "never pay retail." 

TWO stolen $2k coats on embarkation day would be an anomaly on any cruise line. In fact, they'd be an anomaly in the closets of most Americans including those who sail on more "expensive" (though IMO far more value laden) cruise lines.

This sounds like a real comedy of errors.  A number of things run through my mind.  First time cruisers?  Didn't understand that the card given at boarding was their cabin key, or didn't understand how to use it?  Therefore thought cabin was 'locked'?  Were not at the correct cabin in the first place, maybe even different deck, so no wonder the 'people in the next cabin' had no knowledge of the items?  Nor the cabin steward?   Swiss cheese here.  EM

3 hours ago, champagne123 said:

If you look at her profile, she has actually only had 4 posts, so I tend to agree with you.

Errrr, nope.

60 posts, as on the avatar.

But in this awful CC re-vamp I can understand your thinking it's only four.

Click on the OP's screen name.

On that page, click on "see their activity".

On that page, click on "posts".

If that doesn't work (on my PC I just get the dreaded endless spiral ), click on "topics" instead. 

That brings up all the topics in which the the OP posted, going back to Dec 2007.

(Navigating that was so much easier on the old CC format :classic_rolleyes:)

OK, not Cruise Critic's most prolific poster. But enough posts, and over a more than long-enough period, for it to be obvious that they're neither a troll nor a hoaxer.

I'd been hoping that the OP would come back with a little more detail & a little more clarity.

But I guess the first few responses have put them off.

Possibly for life.:classic_sad:

20 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Errrr, nope.

60 posts, as on the avatar.

But in this awful CC re-vamp I can understand your thinking it's only four.

Click on the OP's screen name.

On that page, click on "see their activity".

On that page, click on "posts".

If that doesn't work (on my PC I just get the dreaded endless spiral ), click on "topics" instead. 

That brings up all the topics in which the the OP posted, going back to Dec 2007.

(Navigating that was so much easier on the old CC format :classic_rolleyes:)

OK, not Cruise Critic's most prolific poster. But enough posts, and over a more than long-enough period, for it to be obvious that they're neither a troll nor a hoaxer.

I'd been hoping that the OP would come back with a little more detail & a little more clarity.

But I guess the first few responses have put them off.

Possibly for life.:classic_sad:

Ok...I originally clicked the "see their activity" and only the same four posts showed when clicking on the Avatar...but then followed your continued instructions.  You were correct and I apologize.  I find it strange though, that when I click on my profile, I don't have to do all of that.  They automatically come up and I just tried yours....they also automatically popped up.  Very strange.

Edited by champagne123

I would think the ops family must have put their coats in the cabin next door thinking it was thiers? I really cant see any other way that the post would make any sense at all. If that is the case and they approached their neighbors. Maybe the coats will magically reappear at some point. After all IF their neighbors have the coats it is not like they can go walking around the ship with them on.