How Would You Rate The Edge Specialty Restaurants?

vtcruising

14 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Here are the dining prices. The Dinner on the Edge may be $95 now - someone reported that a few weeks ago:

image.thumb.png.073dbe121b7ee123d94632d790410b94.png

PDF, if you can't read the above chart:

SpecialtyDining_Pricing.pdf 191.66 kB · 2 downloads

We booked Eden within the last 2 weeks, Just checked for our January cruise, $65 is the current price.

Edited by Oville

2 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Eden is $65 still, correct? Dinner on the Edge is $95, I believe (or so someone said a few weeks ago). 🙂

Yes for Eden, we will check out Dinner on the Edge when we board,

Edited by Oville

4 minutes ago, Oville said:

We booked Eden within the last 2 weeks, nowhere $95.

We just booked some of the restaurants for our upcoming trip on the Edge.  Magic Carpet cannot be booked before sailing, can only be booked once onboard.  The price for that restaurant is $95.  

Pat

1 minute ago, RodPat said:

We just booked some of the restaurants for our upcoming trip on the Edge.  Magic Carpet cannot be booked before sailing, can only be booked once onboard.  The price for that restaurant is $95.  

Pat

1 minute ago, RodPat said:

Pat

Agree, we’ll try to book once on board.  Hoping a Suite will help.  Thanks for the correction.

2 minutes ago, Oville said:

Agree, we’ll try to book once on board.  Hoping a Suite will help.  Thanks for the correction.

I agree, staying in a suite has some sweet perks.  One of them is having the suite concierge make your reservations.  We don't sail until November 15 but that will be one of the first things we do when we board.

Pat

9 minutes ago, RodPat said:

I agree, staying in a suite has some sweet perks.  One of them is having the suite concierge make your reservations.  We don't sail until November 15 but that will be one of the first things we do when we board.

Pat

Yes, when we booked Dinner on the Edge, the Retreat concierge told us that they didn't plan the dates until just before the cruise so they could look at the upcoming weather. Even so, our Dinner on the Edge was changed to Dinner on the Magic Carpet on 5, which was still wonderful, and less windy than 10 decks up. 🙂  I'm hoping it will be less of an issue on the Apex, with the  proposed added wind protection.

Edited by vtcruising

10 minutes ago, RodPat said:

Pat

You are before us, we sail again on Edge January 12th.  We so tried to book your cruise, liked the SV cabins that were available but only late seating so we passed.  Enjoy your cruise, a great itinerary.

We ended up booking a Silhouette cruise in November in a RS, we are happy puppies.

Edited by Oville

Don't you think the prices for some of these restaurants are a little high?  I remember when we thought $50 per person was expensive.

I'd have to see what kind of OBC I'd get from my TA.:classic_unsure:

23 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Yes, when we booked Dinner on the Edge, the Retreat concierge told us that they didn't plan the dates until just before the cruise so they could look at the upcoming weather. Even so, our Dinner on the Edge was changed to Dinner on the Magic Carpet on 5, which was still wonderful, and less windy than 10 decks up. 🙂  I'm hoping it will be less of an issue on the Apex, with the  proposed added wind protection.

Ok, now I’m a bit confused.DOTE is done once per cruise, a bit like a Chef’s Table, but more “conventional” food. Magic Carpet dinner on 5 is all the other evenings. Is it the complete menu from Raw on 5 or more like bar food, but seafood heavy?

58 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Ok, now I’m a bit confused.DOTE is done once per cruise, a bit like a Chef’s Table, but more “conventional” food. Magic Carpet dinner on 5 is all the other evenings. Is it the complete menu from Raw on 5 or more like bar food, but seafood heavy?

The Magic Carpet dining has changed over time and may continue to morph. When it first was announced they described DOTE as once a week and Magic Carpet dinner or lunch (docked on 5 next to Raw on 5) at other times - maybe lunch, maybe dinner. On our December cruise, they booked us for a DOTE and then because of weather, I guess, it was switched to Magic Carpet dinner (similar - mostly seafood offerings as Raw on 5, but they were a little different). Now it sounds like they are trying to do the DOTE once or twice a cruise per recent reports - I haven't heard about MC lunches or dinner, but it may be happening.

Recent DOTE menu:

image.png.3f4d3a80437b41bc3c9db0ef3baea8c8.png

Original Magic Carpet Restaurant menu (docked on 5):

https://www.celebritycruises.com/edge/content/uploads/2018/02/MagicCarpet1.pdf

Description of Edge Restaurants - I don't think Grand Plaza Cafe is still open - it was closed in January. Also, LPC is every night, not just once a week, as originally planned:

image.thumb.png.98e07ff447b7fbe063e81022395fedf6.png

Edited by vtcruising

18 hours ago, mafig said:

Don't you think the prices for some of these restaurants are a little high?  I remember when we thought $50 per person was expensive.

I'd have to see what kind of OBC I'd get from my TA.:classic_unsure:

I agree. We were willing to pay the prices because we wanted to try new restaurants. They were worth it for us at that time.

I don't think we would book Eden if it is the same menu and cost, unless friends wanted to go. It was very good, but I would like to try different things (great chef there!).

I also probably won't do the LPC and Friends menu again - if they offer the original menu, I would book it.

We will likely do GTG at lunch and Raw on 5 will do the seafood tower again - was really good.

We will go to Le Grand Bistro for lunch/brunch for sure - many good choices and a good price (maybe do lunch there for $20 and eat lightly at the OVC for dinner). I wish they would offer LPC just on certain nights as originally planned and have the LGB for dinner.

FCSH is well worth the upcharge, if they continue with good quality cuts of beef - excellent restaurant!!

I wonder is they are as hard to book as they were in January (our cruise was sold out for all specialties when we boarded).

I did find the proposed model and cost for the Le Grand Bistro brunch that was put out at the end of April:

"Le Grand Bistro, the ship's French for-fee restaurant (where Le Petit Chef is presented at dinnertime), has replaced its previous breakfast and lunch options -- which Abel said didn't resonate with passengers -- with a sea day brunch twice each cruise for $39 per person. It features a buffet with salad, made-to-order waffles, pastries, bacon, eggs, salmon and seafood, as well as a waiter-served menu with omelets, pancakes and crepes."

I looked at the dailies from a recent cruise and it looked like they still served the lunch menu on all days that brunch isn't served. Lunch was served from 12-1:30 and brunch was served 10:30-1:00, so makes a nice option for a late breakfast (for a fee - I wonder if they are actually charging that much still - seems a bit steep).

Just a few little bits from my B2B that we are just off of. Dinner on the Edge ($95) sold out by 1pm embarkation day each sailing but it was available up until that time to anyone. We did Eden both weeks - and they changed some of the starters during that time. We really enjoyed the experience and the Edenists added to the experience. I did Fine Cut for my 50th birthday and I’ll be honest I was disappointed in it. Service was poor and the food no better than Tuscan Grill on other ships - maybe I chose poorly but I wasn’t wowed by it. Raw on 5 we loved and I wish Rooftop Grill offered smaller portions so we could try more things - I did ask but they just brought out the normal large portions. 

They offered Brunch at the Bistro once each sailing - I wish they had offered lunch the other days a bit later than 1.30pm as I would have been able to eat then. 

We were able to have drinks on the Magic Carpet when it was on Deck 16, Deck 14 and Deck 5. 

Oh and although the Eden Cafe is free it was excellent! 

Wendy (who promises to add more details to the stateroom thread once I get time!).

Edited by wendyam76

11 minutes ago, wendyam76 said:

Just a few little bits from my B2B that we are just off of. Dinner on the Edge ($95) sold out by 1pm embarkation day each sailing but it was available up until that time to anyone. We did Eden both weeks - and they changed some of the starters during that time. We really enjoyed the experience and the Edenists added to the experience. I did Fine Cut for my 50th birthday and I’ll be honest I was disappointed in it. Service was poor and the food no better than Tuscan Grill on other ships - maybe I chose poorly but I wasn’t wowed by it. Raw on 5 we loved and I wish Rooftop Grill offered smaller portions so we could try more things - I did ask but they just brought out the normal large portions. 

They offered Brunch at the Bistro once each sailing - I wish they had offered lunch the other days a bit later than 1.30pm as I would have been able to eat then. 

We were able to have drinks on the Magic Carpet when it was on Deck 16, Deck 14 and Deck 5. 

Oh and although the Eden Cafe is free it was excellent! 

Wendy (who promises to add more details to the stateroom thread once I get time!).

Thanks, Wendy!! Sorry that FCSH was not up to par - hope the rest of your birthday went well. It sounds like the other specialties were good. Looking forward to hearing more details! 🙂

1 minute ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks, Wendy!! Sorry that FCSH was not up to par - hope the rest of your birthday went well. It sounds like the other specialties were good. Looking forward to hearing more details! 🙂

I had a lovely birthday - and we loved the other specialities! 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 8:34 PM, omarchs said:

Le Petit Chef was a lot of fun. We selected the full animated menu. Thought food was very good except for the unattractive looking dessert. Dining took a while since they obviously didn’t tell everyone that the animation timing is dependent upon people finishing their courses somewhat on the same time. We had a table near us send back their French onion soup and waiting for another one and others savoring it like it was their last meal while the rest of the room were long done and staring around waiting for 

?unattractive dessert? Was this LPC with friends? How can a hot fudge sundae be unattractive??

We enjoyed it also, might not go back by ourselves, but definitely look forward to sharing with friends at Thanksgiving. The bouillabaisse is excellent

28 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

?unattractive dessert? Was this LPC with friends? How can a hot fudge sundae be unattractive??

We enjoyed it also, might not go back by ourselves, but definitely look forward to sharing with friends at Thanksgiving. The bouillabaisse is excellent

The LPC and Friends menu is on the Edge. Unfortunately (at least for us), the menu is different and this is the dessert. Unfortunately, it tasted as good as it looks (not very good, IMO). :classic_smile:

enhance

enhance

Edited by vtcruising

We’ve tried Fine Cut twice (Jan and April).  The first time it was good the second time awful.  On our upcoming Edge cruise in January Fine Cut’s isn’t on our agenda.  We will be trying Eden and perhaps Dinner on the Edge.  Our experience at Roof Top was awful as salad and beer flew everywhere.

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

The LPC and Friends menu is on the Edge. Unfortunately (at least for us), the menu is different and this is the dessert. Unfortunately, it tasted as good as it looks (not very good, IMO). :classic_smile:

enhance

That looks terrible. Matcha flavored desserts are definitely aimed at the younger generations. Well known and enjoyed by my son and all his friends, but for us... no thanks. (And I love a strong green tea with my sushi)

We're sailing on Silhouette right before Edge, in early November. I hope the LPC is the other menu, with the sundae for dessert, or we'll be cancelling it.

6 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

That looks terrible. Matcha flavored desserts are definitely aimed at the younger generations. Well known and enjoyed by my son and all his friends, but for us... no thanks. (And I love a strong green tea with my sushi)

We're sailing on Silhouette right before Edge, in early November. I hope the LPC is the other menu, with the sundae for dessert, or we'll be cancelling it.

The Silhouette does both LPC shows - someone reported on one ship that they did one show the first part of the cruise and the other the second half. Maybe you could find out when you board when the original one will be done and switch, if needed.

some brillaint photos and reviews of edge here.

Unfortunately I didnt take any photos, but wish I had.

We used the cosmopolitan restaurant a lot too which I thought was really nice.

Infact we used this mainly, as the prices elsewhere were just a bit pricey.

Never noticed the wind on the magic carpet though.

But I didnt think it suited being a restauarant anyway.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vtcruising said:

The Silhouette does both LPC shows - someone reported on one ship that they did one show the first part of the cruise and the other the second half.

That is the way LPC was set up on Reflection.  We just got off the ship on Saturday.  🙂

• Thanks 1