Snorkeling: Buck Island or Trunk Bay?

Grenouille21

1 hour ago, Grenouille21 said:

I am trying to figure out our shore excursion for St. Thomas.  I will be with my teens (13 and 15) and we enjoy snorkeling.  Would you suggest the Buck Island snorkel excursion or Trunk Bay excursion?  Why would you choose one over the other?  Thanks!

I have never been to Buck Island, but Trunk Bay is amazing. Of course it's been a long time since I have been there, but when I was there the snorkeling was awesome! 

• Like 1

It depends on how much time you're in the water. You'll spend more time getting to Trunk than Buck. With Buck you might have time to hang out at a beach for a while. There isn't a beach at Buck.

Trunk is gorgeous but you may also want to consider an excursion to Honeymoon Beach on St John if it's offered. The excursion may offer a hike and snorkeling.

On 12/17/2018 at 9:43 AM, Ms411 said:

It depends on how much time you're in the water. You'll spend more time getting to Trunk than Buck. With Buck you might have time to hang out at a beach for a while. There isn't a beach at Buck.

Trunk is gorgeous but you may also want to consider an excursion to Honeymoon Beach on St John if it's offered. The excursion may offer a hike and snorkeling.

I will look into Honeymoon Beach, thank you!

The Buck Island excursion is 3 hours 15 minutes, the Trunk Bay excursion is 4 hours.  It seems like we'd have the same amount of time in the water at each, right?  Still undecided....

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruising March 8th with Carnival and had originally booked the Trunk Bay excursion. Keeping an eye on reviews, we read that they weren't great recently. We also reconsidered the amount of time it would take to get to the beach and how much time would be spent in the water. It was a long excursion and some had posted that they had gone without food and water.  We have a group of 8 ranging in age from 13 to 74.

In closing, we ended up switching to the Fast Cat Snorkelling/ Beach.