Breeze or Sunrise 2019

msbuttercuo

We are planning on taking a cruise to celebrate my son's high school graduation in 2019. We have narrowed down the choices to Breeze and Sunrise.  My son's only requests were that we sail on Carnival (he had a great time on the Dream this summer) and we visit ports we have never been too.  Which of these ships would you choose and why. Thanks for your input. 

Breeze~7 days with extra port, have to fly to Orlando, newer ship,  deluxe cabin with extra bathroom, $500 less.

Sunrise~8 days one less port, 4 sea days, can drive to port, refurbished older ship, no extra bathroom, $500 more. 

You haven't given us enough info such as the ports.  And judging the Sunrise when it doesn't even exist yet is a little unfair.  To call it 'older' will just be wrong as she will just be out of her complete overhaul.  Frankly, from a public standpoint, she will undoubtedly look completely new relative to a 6-7 year old Breeze.

I assume your 8 dayer is out of NYC as that's where Sunrise will be next summer.  So your ability to drive there and park means you'll actually do that cruise more inexpensively.  But the ability to get to the 'true Caribbean' on the Breeze plus the extra bathroom might be my tipping point.  Pay attention to that airfare.  That could be a big deal.

Edited by jsglow

Not exactly sure where you live, but if you can drive to Fort Lauderdale, you can also drive to Orlando.  I am assuming you live close to Fort Lauderdale.  Port Canaveral is only a 4 hour drive from Fort Lauderdale, have driven it before a few times.  If you don't want to drive day of the cruise, go the night before and get a hotel near the port.

I have been on the Breeze and love her.  Probably my favorite ship in the Carnival fleet.  I would definitely choose the Breeze over Sunshine anyday.

I think you have a tough call msbutter.  If you've never been to St. Thomas, it's beautiful.  But that's a really good NYC itinerary.  Watch those airfares.  I think I'd make my call based on that.  It's generally always true that 8 days is better than 7.  Here's your incremental Port Canaveral costs:  airfare for 3 ($750+?), night bf MCO hotel ($100), r/t shuttle ($100 ish)

Personally I would NOT make the decision on the overall Breeze vs. Sunrise comparison.  This is just me but there are many cruisecritic types that make their determination exclusively base on one ship being 18 months newer than the next.  It's not like you're comparing Breeze to the least upgraded Fantasy class weekender boat if you catch my meaning.  Sunrise will be an outstanding platform after the rebuild.  Besides the extra bathroom, are they the same cabin class?  You're not comparing an Inside to a Suite or anything, correct?

Here's one thing to consider. That Breeze itinerary is done every single week by multiple Carnival Florida based ships 52 weeks a year.  It's the 'standard' eastern 7 day.  So you can always pick that one up at an inexpensive time during the cruising season.  The NYC route isn't as common as they often do the Bahamas from there. 

Good luck with your decision.

Edited by jsglow

We'll be on the Mid-July cruise out of NY. 

If you drive to NY did you figure in the cost of Parking?  Parking at the port is $40/day or $320 for the the 8 days.
There may be cheaper parking nearby but I did not bother to look since we can just take the train into the city and then a cab to the port.

We are getting a ride to NYC from my sister. She is picking us up as well so no parking fees.

I'm looking at oceanview cabins only. On the Dream having the extra bathroom was a blessing lol.  

We haven't been to St. Thomas but I see that is a standard port stop on many itineraries. And the thought of not having the hassle of flying and getting to the port from Orlando is very appealing.  I have to make a decision soon😣

I'm going to give you a 'lean'.  Cruising from NYC in the summer means you'll have warm weather both first/last days.  It'll be surely more cost effective than Breeze and you only sacrifice one port that you can visit at a future date.  Having no pre/post cruise costs with the exception of a thank you gift for your sister is pretty nice.

3 hours ago, jsglow said:

I'm going to give you a 'lean'.  Cruising from NYC in the summer means you'll have warm weather both first/last days.  It'll be surely more cost effective than Breeze and you only sacrifice one port that you can visit at a future date.  Having no pre/post cruise costs with the exception of a thank you gift for your sister is pretty nice.

Not visiting St. Thomas would give me a reason to book another cruise😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jsglow said:

Have you made a decision?

We are 95% sure that we will sail on the Breeze. My mom lives in Florida and is worried about missing graduation due to a  chronic illness which sometimes prevents her from flying, so we thought she could join us on the cruise if she feels up to it.  We are making a firm decision after the holidays. Will provide an update😊

• Like 1

The Breeze and Sunrise ships will give you a very similar cruise ship experience. You could look at it this way: On the Sunrise, you could be spending a relaxing day on the ship on Day 1.  While the Breeze trip, your Day 1 will be airport, TSA check ins, potential for delayed flights, transportation from Orlando to Port Canaveral (over an hour away). Flip that around on Day 8: walk off ship and home in a few hours versus another full day of travel, waiting, and getting home late at night. The only thing you really gain is 7 hours in T. Thomas. Is St. Thomas plus airfare cost worth it?