Santo Tomas

tmetreger

Hello! I am stopping at Santo Tomas later this month on the HAL Rotterdam. I am not particularly thrilled with any of the excursions from HAL or from the two local tour companies I found (GowithGus and HappyFish). Actually, I inquired about visiting Seven Altars with GowithGus as it's listed on their website but they tried to steer me to a different trip instead. The reviews I find make it sound like the excursions are all very rushed and I would prefer to take my time. Can anyone tell me if there are other tour operators at this port other than the two mentioned? I'm also wondering if it would be possible to take a taxi to Las Escobas and tour it at our own pace. 

I would be grateful for any information regarding alternate excursion possibilities at this port. Thanks in advance!!!

• 2 weeks later...

You may already have visited by this point, but we used Happy Fish and enjoyed the tour. We originally booked the ruins / Rio Dulce tour, but no one else booked it, so they offered us the Rio Dulce / Aktenemet / Livingston tour at a discount. We enjoyed the excursion and did not feel rushed. 

Las escobas? I wound make sure there is water there before going. the taxi ride there would be at least 2 hours. There are plenty of taxis in that port around the market building and just outside the gate. Negotiate hard!!!

Thanks so much for your responses! We ended up booking the tour to Las Escobas at San Gil Reserve through HAL, which was with Blue Planet tours. It's a beautiful place and the tour was good and not too rushed, but I still would have preferred to take a taxi and tour it at our own pace. I'm not sure why a taxi would take 2 hours--the shuttle bus took about half an hour. I heard that someone did take a taxi there but I'm not sure where they picked it up--I did not see taxis at the port. Perhaps they were right outside and I just didn't notice them. 

We did a tour with GowithGus and didn't feel rushed at all. We did the kayaking tour which was fantastic. We were the only group that signed up for this particular GowithGus excursions most of the others did the humanitarian. We took a boat with the humanitarian tour to a hotel in livingston where we all stopped used restrooms and had some fruit. We then went on our way with our guide who was awesome. We had our own motor boat that took us up the canyon part of the river and then we stopped and kayaked to a lovely resort further upstream. We stayed at the resort for a while and had a relaxing lunch. There was swimming and jumping at the resort. We then went back down stream to livingston where our guide showed us around.