How to get to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal from Philadelphia?

erdoran

My cruise departure is now Brooklyn Cruise Terminal (next April, I have time!).  We were planning on taking Amtrak from Philadelphia to Penn Station and then taxi.  No idea about Brooklyn terminal - are we stuck paying $$$$ to uber or a taxi or is there another public transport option?  Any experience?  thanks

There is a ferry ($2.75) from the Wall St. Ferry terminal to Red Hook cruise terminal.

If you know or can figure out the NY subways, you can take it  from Penn Station to Lower Manhattan and walk a short distance to the ferry terminal.

It's not glamorous, but it does bypass any/all NYC traffic, traffic jams, etc.

https://www.ferry.nyc/

If you don't want to take the subway, you could Uber to Wall St Pier 11 and take the ferry, which is accessible with luggage.  The number 2 and 3 trains, which can be boarded on the 7th Ave side of Penn Station, stop at the Wall St Station, which is about a 6 block walk to Pier 11.  

16 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

With luggage for your cruise I would stick with a yellow taxi or other for hire car services. 

I would too, and most likely a car service so that the price would be known and fixed, given the unpredictability of sitting in NY traffic and running up the meter in a cab.    

A car to the ferry would be a second option, assuming OP doesn't mind all that schlepping.  But I would never drag my luggage for a cruise on the subway.

8 minutes ago, erdoran said:

How hard is it to taxi to ferry and then ferry to cruise?  Doable with reasonable amount of luggage?

I think it would be a pain lugging the luggage and being on time for the ferry schedule.  You really would not save much money (if any).  The Ferry terminal is all the way downtown and the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is at the other end of the Battery Tunnel.  Might as well stay in the taxi all the way to the ship, it's only a few more miles.

is there another public transport option?

The OP asked this question....as an alternate to a taxi or town car.  It's not too much of a stretch to think he/she can figure out the luggage thing.

Some of us travel light...carry-on only....with wheels.  Makes using public transit pretty easy.

3 hours ago, senseib said:

I think it would be a pain lugging the luggage and being on time for the ferry schedule.  You really would not save much money (if any).  The Ferry terminal is all the way downtown and the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is at the other end of the Battery Tunnel.  Might as well stay in the taxi all the way to the ship, it's only a few more miles.

Yeah for $30 or $40 no prob. Thanks 

• 3 months later...

Still checking - tom’s port guide says the congestion getting into Brooklyn cruise terminal can really run up taxi fares.  Does it make more sense to rethink and do the ferry?  Does the ferry dock right at the Brooklyn cruise terminal so we can walk it with luggage?

3 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Still checking - tom’s port guide says the congestion getting into Brooklyn cruise terminal can really run up taxi fares.  Does it make more sense to rethink and do the ferry?  Does the ferry dock right at the Brooklyn cruise terminal so we can walk it with luggage?

You can take  a car service or Uber so your fare would be fixed.

I haven't taken the ferry, but yes, by all reports it docks very close to the cruise ship so you can walk .

Edited by njhorseman

6 minutes ago, erdoran said:

If you are thinking about a taxi, with the fare being unknown because of traffic, then why not book a car service, which will give you a fixed rate?

4 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

If you are thinking about a taxi, with the fare being unknown because of traffic, then why not book a car service, which will give you a fixed rate?

Never done that before.   We’re coming in on Amtrak.  Do I tell them what time my train arrives (hopefully, if it isn’t late) and they arrange a place where we meet up?  What’s a reasonable fare for a car service?  We’re getting in around 930 on a Sunday morning.

1 hour ago, erdoran said:

Never done that before.   We’re coming in on Amtrak.  Do I tell them what time my train arrives (hopefully, if it isn’t late) and they arrange a place where we meet up?  What’s a reasonable fare for a car service?  We’re getting in around 930 on a Sunday morning.

Just get an Uber or Lyft when you get out of the station.  Should be about $40/$50 for the ride.