Boarding time in Galveston

runeatcruise

I've done this many times before, but I'm out of practice and sleep-deprived, and I've never sailed out of Galveston. I'm sailing on the Wonder on Jan 9 Galveston to San Juan. I understand how PAT times relate to boarding times, so I don't need that rehashed. 

What time does the terminal in Galveston open, what time would I expect boarding to begin, and what time does open/general boarding start? 

As far as possible, DCL tries to stick to the same schedule at all ports.  The kicker is that Galveston can sometimes have issues with fog.  If the previous cruise gets in late, the next cruise will be delayed.

That said, doors open about 10:30 which is when check in will begin.  Actual boarding will begin about 11:15 IF all is normal.

This varies with how many people are in the terminal vs. how many show up at their later PATs.  12:30-1:00 would be typical...but it can be a little different.   It happens when the crowd in the terminal is down to almost nothing and the "groups" are very small.  

If everyone with a 1:30 and 2pm PAT shows up at noon, open boarding will be a little later.  If most people with later PATs wait and arrive at their time, open boarding will be earlier.  You are on one of the classic ships, so in general boarding will go more quickly as the number of people to be boarded is significantly less.

Fog is not an issue anymore , unless severe circumstances exist . Cruise lines and pilots came to resolution of cruise traffic moving in channels during fog . A positive one in favor of cruise lines. 

Edited by ssb

2 hours ago, ssb said:

Fog is not an issue anymore , unless severe circumstances exist . Cruise lines and pilots came to resolution of cruise traffic moving in channels during fog . A positive one in favor of cruise lines. 

Where did you see this?  

As recently as this past January, fog delayed a Carnival ship out of Galveston.

What's changed making it possible for cruise traffic to maneuver in the fog?

I guess I don't understand.  If they close the port due to fog, they close the port.  We were stuck in that situation a couple years ago and our boarding was delayed.  The port was closed to ALL traffic--it had nothing to do with cruise ships vs. other traffic.  We were well aware that our ship was not far away, but could not get any closer due to the weather conditions.

2 hours ago, gigi1313 said:

Just today, the cruise port is closed due to weather related issues... all PATs delayed four hours as of right now...

High winds , not fog.  Rained very little . High winds  from cool front moving across US to east coast

from Northwest US to Eastern US . Visibility is 10 miles.   

Edited by ssb

1 hour ago, gigi1313 said:

Yes, weather related delay... I didn’t say fog. 

1 hour ago, gigi1313 said:

Yes, weather related delay... I didn’t say fog. 

Clarifying to others after earlier comments by others of fog . Thanks 

PAT means Port Arrival Time.  If you are not using DCL transportation, this is the time you choose during your on line check in and is the time you told them you'll be arriving.  This started with the launch of the Dream to prevent thousands of people from appearing at the terminal at the same time.  If the ship is delayed you'll get an e-mail asking you to show up X number of hours after your PAT.  It is even more important in these cases since there will be long lines of people wanting to check in.  NOTE that a PAT is NOT a boarding time.  It is an arrival time.  Normally on the Magic and Wonder, it doesn't matter if you show up earlier, but your boarding time is tied to your PAT.  Showing up earlier won't get you on the ship earlier.