Help with stubborn Hubby

Trinam2

Hey, I really want to try at least one specialty restaurant on the Oasis next month. The problem is my hubby thinks it’s ridiculous to spend extra money on food when you can eat in the MDR for free! I tried explaining to him the food is much higher quality and you are also getting an expirenece. Any suggestions on how I may twist his arm a bit or maybe write your experiences and I can show him what other people think. TIA

Technically, you don't eat in the MDR for free.  The MDR is included in the cost of your fare 😉 You can eat at home "for free" vs. going to a restaurant, but really you can eat at home with items already included (groceries, appliances, etc).

Does he take excursions, or only walk around in ports (or just stay on the ship)?  Does he drink anything other than the included water, coffee, tea, etc.?

If your husband is satisfied with the MDR experience, you may have a difficult time changing his mind.  We have tried a few specialty restaurants/meals, but only one really stuck out as a great meal/experience (Winemaker's table on Regal Princess).  For the most part we can be satisfied with MDR too, but if you have extra OBC or can get the meal as a perk it can be a nice change.

We consider specialty restaurants an experience too, and try to pick ones we couldn't get as easily on land, or if we are celebrating a special occasion might splurge just for the meal (still usually cheaper than same meal on land).  If you have a good steak house near you at home at a price point you like, I would probably skip it on the ship.  A hibachi/teppanyaki or Brazilian barbeque I wouldn't do on a ship since it can be done much better on land.  A chef's table or something like Wonderland which you can't find as easily on land does seem like something worthwhile to try.

If I was trying to persuade my husband to do something for me that he didn't particularly want to I would take this approach:  instead of trying to convince (or worse badger him about it), I would simply state that it would mean a lot to me for him to do this while recognizing that it is a splurge.  And if there is something he would like to try that isn't necessarily your cup of tea, going along with it as a kindness to him (not sure what that would be, maybe zip lining or going to a comedian vs. a production show).

Hope this helps 🙂 

He does like doing different excursions through the cruise line vs. walking the port. He doesn’t drink other than what’s included because that’s what he prefers to drink anyway. I have tried the approach mentioned and no budging. I even went ahead and just booked a specialty restaurant and he saw it on our cruise calendar and said no way...I think I might not be able to convince him on this trip. He bought it as a surprise birthday gift for me and I should be satisfied with that.

Since excursions cost (and usually more if through the cruise line) vs. walking on your own and he enjoys excursions I thought he might understand the appeal of the restaurant for you from that side.  If he doesn't spend extra on drinks then I can see him not budging on food too.

Would he let you pay for the dining experience?  It does seem like a nice thing to take surprise you with the cruise, but hubby and I combine our resources so it's hard for me to wrap my head around some of these issues.

It might be wise to enjoy this cruise without the extras and not have the extra stress.  Happy Birthday!

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BoDidly said:

Compromise , say if you do this with me ,. I'll do something you want to do :classic_love:. You will have him eating out of your hand :classic_ohmy:

Unfortunately, he already knows I’ll do anything he wants. I like to spoil him and he takes advantage of it! However, I think I have bugged him enough to try at least one specialty restaurant this cruise. It’s either that or he is just saying that so I leave him be..lol

10 hours ago, Trinam2 said:

Unfortunately, he already knows I’ll do anything he wants. I like to spoil him and he takes advantage of it! However, I think I have bugged him enough to try at least one specialty restaurant this cruise. It’s either that or he is just saying that so I leave him be..lol

Some ships have restaurant sample tasting ... if you do not have his commitment before you get on the ship and have that opportunity maybe that will convince him.