Earliest boarding time?

Travel luv

Boarding the ship depends on a lot of different things.  Did the ship come back in on time?  Did it get clearance on time?  Was there any inspections by customs before the passengers were allowed to leave from the previous cruise?  Did everyone from the previous cruise get off on time?  Normally, and I emphasize normally,  boarding usually starts sometime after 10:30-11:30.

When they do start boarding, they call Diamond/Platinum first.  Then suites, then wedding parties, then Faster to the Fun (FTTF).  After that, they start calling zones.  The earlier you get there, the smaller your zone number will be.  Each zone number will  have about 25 sets of passengers.  By sets, I mean if I have one cabin, I will get one zone number.  If I have two or more cabins, I will still get only one zone card but I may have 8 people.  Each person doesn't get a card.

As for FTTF, to us, it was always worth it.  You only need one for each cabin.  There is a lot more than just early boarding.  You get to go to your cabin as soon as you board, dedicated line and phone number at guest services, priority luggage delivery, priority boarding on water shuttles if you have a stop at an island where they don't dock.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1374/kw/FTTF/session/L3RpbWUvMTU0NTMwMzc3MS9zaWQvZlVBNGNIY0ZLM0tsY0ROSHZYNVprOEp6M3QlN0VQSWFjeUpUUmxnS2dVZmVMRUJtSHBuS2tYbF9xZmxDRk50MlZmTWdpNlpxOGZ2dFV1VXRGNlBha3UxMlhqd18lN0Vfd3hoVHhxRHJidkF6JTdFQVhQWnROZnhpaGZxV0J3JTIxJTIx

Lately, the Carnival cruises I've taken from Tampa, Miami, and FLL had allowed me to start boarding around noon time as a Diamond.  Two cruises from FLL actually began Diamond boarding after 1PM.

I remember boarding at 11AM, but that was years ago.

Edited by evandbob

I"m sailing Liberty out of Canaveral in March and do not have FTTF. The only checkin time available when I completed my docs at the 90-days- out mark was 11:30-12:00. I think that's pretty good as that is the same time we had last time and we had no lines. We were actually on board within minutes of or friends who had FTTF and had been in  line well over an  hour before we got there.  I find that for us, FTTF is not worth it,

On 12/20/2018 at 9:56 AM, evandbob said:

Lately, the Carnival cruises I've taken from Tampa, Miami, and FLL had allowed me to start boarding around noon time as a Diamond.  Two cruises from FLL actually began Diamond boarding after 1PM.

I remember boarding at 11AM, but that was years ago.

We have sailed from Port Canaveral and Port Miami several times this year.  They have started priority boarding as early as 10:30 AM (Magic in June) with the latest start to boarding time being 11:30 AM (Victory in January). Maybe we have just been lucky this year, but hopefully that luck continues this coming Sunday.  

3 hours ago, simplelife said:

I"m sailing Liberty out of Canaveral in March and do not have FTTF. The only checkin time available when I completed my docs at the 90-days- out mark was 11:30-12:00. I think that's pretty good as that is the same time we had last time and we had no lines. We were actually on board within minutes of or friends who had FTTF and had been in  line well over an  hour before we got there.  I find that for us, FTTF is not worth it,

I went online with Carnival's My Cruise Manager at precisely midnight on the day that arrival appointment times became available and we got 11:30 AM -12:00 for the Dream. 

Our boarding times out of Miami as platinum cruisers has been 1100-1145. Everybody has their opinion on the FTTF. Mine is I won’t spend the price they want for it. We used to drop everything off with the baggage handlers except a small carry on, which is easy to haul around until the cabin is ready.

We are Platinums and sail mostly out of Tampa (most recently in Nov. and 4 other times in 2018). We live close to the Port and arrive about 11:15 and board right away. DH works part-time at the Port of Tampa and said that no one boards until Homeland Security says so, so it could be later for a variety of reasons previously stated in another response.

I know it's just semantics and most of you are aware, but in case some are not, there is a difference between your Checkin time and your boarding time...

If you are a VIP (wedding, D/P, FTTF) then the checkin time you get doesn't really matter- check in as soon as you arrive at the port. For everyone else, you will get a checkin time when you do your online paperwork. That is the time you should show up at the port and will be allowed to check in. As mentioned by RWolver672, once you check in you'll be given a zone pass and that will determine when you board.

One note, not from personal experience... someone mentioned that when they printed their boarding passes before the cruise it already had a boarding zone assigned... not sure what this means or how it changes anything, if it does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

I know it's just semantics and most of you are aware, but in case some are not, there is a difference between your Checkin time and your boarding time...

If you are a VIP (wedding, D/P, FTTF) then the checkin time you get doesn't really matter- check in as soon as you arrive at the port. For everyone else, you will get a checkin time when you do your online paperwork. That is the time you should show up at the port and will be allowed to check in. As mentioned by RWolver672, once you check in you'll be given a zone pass and that will determine when you board.

One note, not from personal experience... someone mentioned that when they printed their boarding passes before the cruise it already had a boarding zone assigned... not sure what this means or how it changes anything, if it does.

I’m so glad that you clarified this, because I was about to ask.  I was looking over the check-in section on Carnival.com just last night, and wondered about “check-in time.”  So that doesn’t necessarily mean that’s the time we would get on the ship?  We will be traveling as a party of 11 in 5 cabins, and I sure don’t want to recommend that we select an early check-in time and then discover that we have to stand around and wait for hours to actually get on board.

3 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

I’m so glad that you clarified this, because I was about to ask.  I was looking over the check-in section on Carnival.com just last night, and wondered about “check-in time.”  So that doesn’t necessarily mean that’s the time we would get on the ship?  We will be traveling as a party of 11 in 5 cabins, and I sure don’t want to recommend that we select an early check-in time and then discover that we have to stand around and wait for hours to actually get on board.

Truthfully you don't stand around waiting to board, they have a huge lounge with chairs in sections, and you sit according to your status (VIP, FTTF) or your zone, and wait for them to call you. One of the things that balances this is, if you have a later checkin time, say, noon or 12:30, chances are you wouldn't wait that long for your zone to be called to board anyway, since they have the staggered checkin now and those who arrived before you will have already boarded and will be mostly out of your way. In fact, I find that getting there early with FTTF and checking in early, I probably have the longest wait sitting there I've ever experienced... but I just can't help myself, since sitting in that boarding lounge says to me 'yup, the vacay has started!' 

Not logical, I know, but go figure! ☺️

• Thanks 1

New cruiser here trying to figure out the check-in system as well.  I have booked a Family Harbor Suite.  Does that count as a suite when embarking?  I am trying to decide if I want FTTF.  We do not tender, so I am trying to weigh out the pros and cons of FTTF.  If I embark first anyway with a suite, I am thinking I will skip FTTF.