Norway Fjord Cruise Q&A - Keys to Successful Planning

hallasm

9 hours ago, travelingla said:

Pulpit Rock

Anyone know if it is routine for a cruise ship to pass Pulpit Rock on the 'Stravanger' day? If not, is it worth an excursion boat ride? I don't think we really have time to do the hike with other things to be seen in port as that hike excursion is 7 1/2 hours.

The ship excursion has this notation about Pulpit Rock: "On some calls at Stavanger, the cruise ship sails into Lysefjord but does not offer the same close encounter with Pulpit Rock that is the highlight of this tour."

Lysefjord is not listed on our itinerary.

Thank you.

I don't think we sailed pass it but am not sure. I enjoyed the boat ride (booked it direct, saved quite a bit of money). Princess did offer a modified hike excursion for those who wanted to hike it. It wasn't listed in the beginning but was added a few months before our cruise. Several on our cruise did do the hike with their spouses on the boat ride.

I do have to say the small boat ride did allow some great views and commentary.

• Thanks 1

https://www.fjordnorway.com/things-to-do/waterfalls-in-the-hardangerfjord-region-p970423

This is the sort of activity my husband and I love when we travel -- we love hiking/walking in National Parks.

Does anyone have experience with a third party tour company to see these falls? HAL has one excursion to one of them but I think I can find a better one -- I hope I can.  I am still looking but thought I'd ask those of you who've been.

Thank you!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, travelingla said:

Pulpit Rock

Anyone know if it is routine for a cruise ship to pass Pulpit Rock on the 'Stravanger' day? If not, is it worth an excursion boat ride? I don't think we really have time to do the hike with other things to be seen in port as that hike excursion is 7 1/2 hours.

The ship excursion has this notation about Pulpit Rock: "On some calls at Stavanger, the cruise ship sails into Lysefjord but does not offer the same close encounter with Pulpit Rock that is the highlight of this tour."

Lysefjord is not listed on our itinerary.

Thank you.

As far as I remember, we did not sail past it on the ship two years ago.  We did the private excursion cruise through Rodne.  

https://rodne.no/en/fjordcruise/lysefjord-preikestolen/

Edited by dfish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, travelingla said:

https://www.fjordnorway.com/things-to-do/waterfalls-in-the-hardangerfjord-region-p970423

This is the sort of activity my husband and I love when we travel -- we love hiking/walking in National Parks.

Does anyone have experience with a third party tour company to see these falls? HAL has one excursion to one of them but I think I can find a better one -- I hope I can.  I am still looking but thought I'd ask those of you who've been.

Thank you!

I did STEINSDALSFOSSEN through Princess. We did not have a full day in Bergen and our tour was late getting back to the ship. It is quite the distance from Bergen. It was beautiful but most of our time was spent in the bus and I missed Bergen. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I did STEINSDALSFOSSEN through Princess. We did not have a full day in Bergen and our tour was late getting back to the ship. It is quite the distance from Bergen. It was beautiful but most of our time was spent in the bus and I missed Bergen. 

It's not worth missing Bergen for me so I really appreciate your info!

Stave churches
I do hope we will see some of these beautiful churches in our ports. I know there have to be some in Bergen .... and wondered if when we sail Sognefjord if we pass this one?  Urnes church is located on the shores of the Lustrafjord, a northeastern branch of the Sognefjord
There is a Stave Church outside of Bergen, but we couldn't figure out an easy way to get there, aside from ship tours that included a stop there as part of an excursion to an even farther away site.

There is a Stave Church at the Norwegian Folksmuseum in Oslo on Bygdøy which is quite easy to visit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, travelingla said:

Stave churches

I do hope we will see some of these beautiful churches in our ports. I know there have to be some in Bergen .... and wondered if when we sail Sognefjord if we pass this one?  Urnes church is located on the shores of the Lustrafjord, a northeastern branch of the Sognefjord

If you go to Skjolden - there is a Stave Church nearby.P1000757.thumb.jpg.c503f6a5f1e23d8f34350005219e71eb.jpg

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, travelingla said:

and wondered if when we sail Sognefjord if we pass this one

You might be able to see Urnes Stave Church from the ship  - located at the hill side when sailing Lustrafjorden towards Skjolden.

Which ports do you visit?

11 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

The Borgund Stave Church in Lærdal is wonderful

Assuming Skjolden - then 109 km ( 2h 15min drive) from Skjolden to Borgund 

1 hour ago, Coral said:

If you go to Skjolden - there is a Stave Church nearby

Urnes Stave Church is located 30 km from Skjolden.

Edited by hallasm

On 9/20/2019 at 7:51 AM, hallasm said:

You might be able to see Urnes Stave Church from the ship  - located at the hill side when sailing Lustrafjorden towards Skjolden.

Which ports do you visit?

Assuming Skjolden - then 109 km ( 2h 15min drive) from Skjolden to Borgund 

Urnes Stave Church is located 30 km from Skjolden.

Along Sognefjord would be Flam 

Others are (in order): Eidfjord, Hardangerfjord, Bergen, Molde, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Alesund, Flam, Songefjord, Stavanger and back to Amsterdam.

Edited by travelingla

45 minutes ago, travelingla said:

Along Sognefjord would be Flam 

Yes, or Skjolden.

From Sognefjord you can sail either by Lustrafjord to Skjolden or Aurlandsfjorden to Flåm - Urnes Church is along Lustrafjorden.

I’ll be back with a list of possible stave churches along you Itinerary  

7 hours ago, travelingla said:

Eidfjord, Hardangerfjord, Bergen, Molde, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Alesund, Flam, Songefjord, Stavanger

Norway has 20 stave churches - all located in the central part of Norway  - for your itinerary there is a  Stave Church relatively nearby:

7 km from Bergen you have Fantoft Stave Church,

14 km from Flåm you have Undredal Stave Church
Both from Flåm and in Bergen you can find local excursions from the port to the Stave Churches  - alternative is rental car.

Undredal is also accessible by the ferry between Flåm and Gudvangen.

Other possible ports are Ålesund and Molde, however churches are quite far away.

• Thanks 1

You will travel further on the Sognefjord to get to Skjolden. 

With Skjolden you will be closer to the Nigardsbreen Glacier... amazing.

(Note: it was a Very physically challenging hike for us- and we love to hike... but there is also a boat option to take you across the lake... it would still require hiking, but less strenuous.)

I would imagine that there would also be excursions to Lærdal to see the Borgund stave church... and it is so wonderful.

Regardless of the fact that Flåm was cancelled, I would look very closely at the FULL DAY excursions offered by your ship to see what they will offer.

They will most likely still offer some of the things that people wanted to do from Flåm...

Sognefjord is gorgeous... one of my favorite parts of the world. 

576EFC0E-56C5-4631-89DA-CACF99EFD272.jpeg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, naturelovergirl said:

I would imagine that there would also be excursions to Lærdal to see the Borgund stave church...

Urnes Stave Church is only 30 km from Skjolden while  Borgsund is 120 km from Skjolden.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 7:13 AM, naturelovergirl said:

You will travel further on the Sognefjord to get to Skjolden. 

With Skjolden you will be closer to the Nigardsbreen Glacier... amazing.

(Note: it was a Very physically challenging hike for us- and we love to hike... but there is also a boat option to take you across the lake... it would still require hiking, but less strenuous.)

I would imagine that there would also be excursions to Lærdal to see the Borgund stave church... and it is so wonderful.

Regardless of the fact that Flåm was cancelled, I would look very closely at the FULL DAY excursions offered by your ship to see what they will offer.

They will most likely still offer some of the things that people wanted to do from Flåm...

Sognefjord is gorgeous... one of my favorite parts of the world. 

576EFC0E-56C5-4631-89DA-CACF99EFD272.jpeg

Ok everyone thanks for the excellent forum!

Just about to decide on this cruise, but a tad worried it doesnt go to Geiranger.

Please review and say if you think we should find alternate one.

Sat 13 Jun 2020 Southampton, United Kingdom Embark 4:00 PM
2 Sun 14 Jun 2020 At Sea
3 Mon 15 Jun 2020 Stavanger, Norway 8:00 AM 4:00 PM
4 Tue 16 Jun 2020 Flam, Norway 7:00 AM 5:00 PM
5 Wed 17 Jun 2020 Olden, Norway 9:00 AM 5:00 PM
6 Thu 18 Jun 2020 Trondheim, Norway 9:00 AM 5:00 PM
7 Fri 19 Jun 2020 At Sea
8 Sat 20 Jun 2020 Honningsvag, Norway 8:00 AM 8:00 PM
9 Sun 21 Jun 2020 Tromsoe, Norway 9:00 AM 5:00 PM
10 Mon 22 Jun 2020 Lofoten Islands, Norway 9:00 AM 6:00 PM
11 Tue 23 Jun 2020 At Sea
12 Wed 24 Jun 2020 Andalsnes, Norway 8:00 AM 5:00 PM