Norway Fjord Cruise Q&A - Keys to Successful Planning

hallasm

Hello there and thanks in advance for your help.  We are sailing on the Holland America

Niew Statendam  for 14 days out of Amsterdam.  Our first port is Eidfjord and second is Skjolden. 

Any ideas for most beautiful spots at both these ports. 

I think I have the other ports covered as best way to see area in a day. 

• Like 1

Eidfjord. Is a very small town located in the innermost part of the famous Hardangerfjord. From the city you can walk along the Eio river.

• Excursion to Vøringsfossen waterfall located 20 km from the port is the most famous waterfall in Norway- impressive 182m high, with a free fall of 145m.

Skjolden is the innermost cruise port of Norway, located at the head of the longest navigable fjord in the world - Sognefjorden

Some of the major attractions (excursions) are:

• Jotunheimen National Park with scenic views
  • Sognefjellsvegen, the national scenic route through the mountains
  • Jostedalsbreen Glacier
  • Urnes Stave Church is a designated UNESCO World Heritage site and Norway's oldest stave church.
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2018 at 8:56 AM, hallasm said:

The main attraction is sailing the scenic fjords - the main fjords in Norway are Sognefjord, Geirangerfjord, Hardangerfjord, Nordfjord, Nærøyfjord (a branch of Sognefjord), Lysefjord and Trollfjord. In addition also to enjoy the fantastic Fjord views from the top of the mountains.

Both Geirangerfjord and Nærøyfjord are Unesco World heritage Natural Sites.
Unesco World heritage Sites along the West Coast are: Bryggen in Bergen, Rock Art of Alta and Struve Geodetic Arc in Alta, Urnes Stave Church (Skjolden) and Vegaøyan (Brønnøysund). Tentative Unesco sites are: Svalbard Archipelago, and Lofoten islands.

Below a list (by no means complete) of the most common ports and some of the sights along the West Coast of Norway, served by various cruise lines - where the port is located in a fjord, I have listed the fjords you must sail trough in order to reach the port.

I have marked the Polar Circle - North of the Polar Circle you will have days with Midnight Sun in June and July and Polar Night in December and January. From October through March you can also experience Northern Lights.
Some Norway Fjord cruises do also include Longyearbyen on Svalbard Archipelago.

Norway West Coast Ports from South to North:

1. Stavanger  (Port in centre of city) - The Pulpit Rock, Old Stavanger and Lysefjord Cruise excursions.
  2. Hardangerfjord (scenic sail-in) to Eidfjord or Ulvik (Ports - both Small towns) - Vøringsfossen Waterfall.
  3. Bergen (Port - larger city) - Old Bergen , Bryggen Wharf, Fishmarket, and Mount Fløyen (Fløybanen funicular).
  4. Sognefjord and Aurlandsfjord (Scenic sail-in) to Flåm (Port - small town)  - scenic Flåm Railway and biking. Excursion to Nærøyfjord.
  5. Nordfjord (Scenic sail-in) to Olden (Port - little village) - scenic area - Jostedalsbreen glacier.
  6. Storfjord and Geirangerfjord (Scenic - known as the most beautiful fjord in Norway) to Geiranger or Hellesylt (Ports - small towns) - Seven Sisters waterfall - panoramic and marvellous  views from  Eagles road and Flydalsjuvet (HoHo bus).
  7. Ålesund (Port in centre of town) Picturesque - Fjellstus and Byrampen Viewpoint.
  8. Romsdalsfjord  (Scenic) to Åndalsnes  (Port - City) scenic region. Trollstigvegen, and Rauma railway.
  9. Molde (Port - Town) - scenic and panoramic views.
  10. Trodheim (Port close to city centre). Historical and cultural city.
  11. Brønnøysund (Port - City) - Vegaøyan.
  12. ---- Polar Circle -----
  13. Bodø (Port - City).
  14. Lofoten Islands / Trollfjord  (small ports: Gravdal/Leknes, Stamsund, Svolvær ) scenic area.
  15. Harstad - Situated on the largest island in Norway, Hinnøya.
  16. Ofotfjord to Narvik (Town)- Scenic area - cable car to Narvikfjellet.
  17. Tromsø (Port - larger city).
  18. Alta (Port - City) - The Rock art of Alta.
  19. Hammerfest (Port - City) scenic - the northernmost town in Norway.
  20. Honningsvåg (Port - City) - visit to North Cape.
  21. Kirkenes (Port - City) 10 km from Russian Border.

Note: upcoming restrictions.
Be aware that restrictions soon will be applied to the current cruises ship fleet so they cannot cruise the Norwegian Fjords.
The Norwegian Parliament calls on the Government to implement requirements and regulations for emissions from cruise ships and other vessels in tourist fjords, ..., including a requirement for zero emissions from tourist ships and ferries in the world heritage fjords as soon as feasible and no later than 2026.

Hello and thanks for your postings. We will be on a cruise in May 2019  that will be making stops at the following ports in the Norwegian area. The following ports will be where we are stopping:  Oslo, Arendal, Eidfjord, Flam, Trondheim, Alesund, Geiranger, Bergen, Stavananger, and Esbjerg, Denmark. I have some information on some and none on others. We would appreciate hearing what you can share concerning these places and what to see and recommended tours if any.

Thanks in advance

Wapak

I am wondering if it is a mistake to get off the ship in Hellesylt to take a hiking tour then meet up with the ship in Geiranger.  The hike sounds wonderful with view of Strynsvatnet Lake and Flydal gorge.  Plus, it would be nice to just hike, even for just a few miles. However, then you miss the sailing into Geiranger.  Of course, we do have  to leave, but not sure if it is will be the same.   

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 9:16 PM, Wapak said:

Hello and thanks for your postings. We will be on a cruise in May 2019  that will be making stops at the following ports in the Norwegian area. The following ports will be where we are stopping:  Oslo, Arendal, Eidfjord, Flam, Trondheim, Alesund, Geiranger, Bergen, Stavananger, and Esbjerg, Denmark. I have some information on some and none on others. We would appreciate hearing what you can share concerning these places and what to see and recommended tours if any.

Thanks in advance

Wapak

Oslo and Esbjerg is outside the scope for this topic. 

My suggestion for Arendal is to explore the archipelago by boat - either a ferry or sightseeing boat - nice skerries and small islands.

Eidfjord, Flåm, Trondheim, Ålesund, Geiranger, Bergen and Stavanger should be covered In posts above.

Please post any specific question you might have for the various stops.

Make a specific posting for Oslo or see the many existing posts) and Esbjerg.

We will be cruising in August stopping at Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger, and Bergen.  Are there usually locals near the piers offering tours on a same day basis or do we need to book in advance?  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on a Norwegian Fjords cruise in June with PO Cruises. We will stop at Stavanger, Flam, Olden and Bergen. Looking forward to following this thread as I am just starting to look at what to do in each port. It will be our 1st visit to Norway but did cruise the Baltics last year.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, paphoslady said:

We are booked on a Norwegian Fjords cruise in June with PO Cruises. We will stop at Stavanger, Flam, Olden and Bergen. Looking forward to following this thread as I am just starting to look at what to do in each port. It will be our 1st visit to Norway but did cruise the Baltics last year.

-Stavanger has a lovely old town as well as good excursions on tourist boats into the Lysefjord. We did the Rødne boat tour into the Lysefjord and loved it. (Picture from the tourist boat on the Lysefjord)

-Bergen is quite interesting in the old section of the Bryggen... and we also enjoyed the Funicular very much (we did buy tickets before going so that we could avoid the first line... there are two lines... one for the tickets and another to ride the funicular) You can buy a round trip ticket or you can buy a one-way and walk down... We did the one way and walked down. Good way for people who love to hike.

-Flåm is charming and lovely- so many good excursions! Make sure you take an excursion in Flåm. Worth it.

IMG_0450.jpg

• Like 2

... and some inspiration for Olden

A ten minutes walk from the quay will bring you to the centre of Olden - from here busses to the two main attractions the Cable Car Loen Skylift and a 4 hours Journey through the Olden Valley up to the  Briksdal Glacier.

• Like 3

Such an excellent thread!
I’m on HAL in July for 14 days.
I have two ports that I’m having issues with:
1. We do not port in Geiranger— only Hellesylt. And because of timing (and my overwhelming desire to see Dalsnibba, I’ve booked a $330 HAL tour, which kills me! I tried to do the ferry and then book from Geiranger but the times don’t work.
2. Haugesund— I would like to do Langfoss but cannot find a tour (the one I found has ignored three emails so that isn’t happening). There doesn’t seem to be other options on TripAdvisor, viator, and (shockingly) Holland America.

I’m going solo so don’t want to do private on my own and don’t want to rent a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I originally posted this in the newbies forum and was suggested I should re post here so here goes. 

We are an Aussie couple looking at numerous cruises in June/July 2020. We have sailed once with Oceania to Alaska in 2017 and the Radiance, Hawaii- Sydney 2012.

We are looking now at Northern Europe and the fjords along Norway which is offered by obviously numerous companies. If we are going all that way we would like to think we are going try and select the best itinerary and hopefully someone out there may offer some opinions.

Understanding there are bigger boats on offering, we were spoilt with Oceania and looking at that size ship for this cruise. We really are pushing our budget to do this as we will have a road trip around Scotland for 3 weeks either pre or post this cruise so would like to get it as right as possible. Here are some itineraries you may like to comment on. From our initial research it would appear Geiranger would be a highlight in any trip but would like to be assured we are going to see fjords in the case this place is not on one of the stops.

I will spend the next hour pouring over this forum and no doubt will give me more info.

My thoughts on Oceania - PROS - could tour Scotland prior and fly or ferry to Dublin. Like the idea of 32 days. Like the idea of going as far north and Keil canal. Good on board credits as well as bonus for sailing again with them CONS - need to be assured that we see fjords.

Oceania 22nd July 32 days

Dublin, London, Antwerp, Rotterdam, Kiel canal, Wismar, Cruising, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg 2 nights, Tallinn, Cruising ,Copenhagen, Cruising, Alesund Trondheim, Cruising, Hammerfest,

Murmansk, Cruising,Solovetsky Is, Archangel, Cruising, Honningsvaag, Cruising, Kristiansand, Flam, Bergen, Stavanger, Cruising, London.

My thoughts on Crystal  -  PROS includes Geiranger,  all inclusive apart from land tours CONS cruise length shorter for a bit more money, 3 days in St Petersburg??? Would have to fly back to Scotland. (no big deal)

Crystal  - 19th June. 25 Days

London, Cruising, Bergen, Geiranger, Cruising, Lofoten/Gravdal, Tromso, Honninsvaag, Cruising, Cruising, Flam, Stavanger, Oslo, Oslo, Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Berlin, Cruising, Gdynia, St Petersburg 3 nights, Tallinn, Stockholm, Stockholm.

My thoughts on Silversea - PROS good itinerary. All inclusive apart from tours

CONS - shorter cruise, more cost less time, 3 nights in St Petersburg??

Silversea 20th July 24 days

London, London, Keil canal, Cruising, Riga, Cruising, Cruising, St Petersburg 3 nights, Tallinn, Stockholm, Cruising, Copenhagen, 

Copenhagen, Oslo, Oslo, Cruising, Flam, Gudvangen, Alesund,

Trondheim, Andalsnes, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Bergen, Cruising, London, London.

My thoughts on Viking - PROS good length cruise, well priced. Includes Geiranger.

CONS - 3 nights in Bergen, last 7 days are with UK waters!!!

Viking June 14th or reverse June 29th ...29 Days

Stockholm, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg, St Petersburg, Tallinn, Cruising, Gdansk, Berlin, Copenhagen, Alford, Stavanger, Eidford, Bergen, Bergen, Bergen, Geiranger, Molde, Cruising,

Tromso, Honningsvaag, Lofoten, Cruising, Lerwick,

Kirkwall, Edinburgh, Cruising, London, London.

Thanks for any thought or opinions.

In July we are doing a Norway intensive cruise on the Azamara Journey. We have been doing lots of research and have lots planned - Flam railway, Geiranger bus, Lofoten Sea explorer Tour to see Sea Eagles, Lake Loen Cruise & see Briksdal glacier from Olden, Rodne cruise from Bergen, North Cape Tour from Honningsvag etc but haven’t been able to find out much about stops at Bodo and Molde. If you have any information and advice about these two ports I’d be very grateful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

In July we are doing a Norway intensive cruise on the Azamara Journey. We have been doing lots of research and have lots planned - Flam railway, Geiranger bus, Lofoten Sea explorer Tour to see Sea Eagles, Lake Loen Cruise & see Briksdal glacier from Olden, Rodne cruise from Bergen, North Cape Tour from Honningsvag etc but haven’t been able to find out much about stops at Bodo and Molde. If you have any information and advice about these two ports I’d be very grateful.

Looks like you already have some exciting excursions planned - the Highlights are for sure Geiranger, Flåm, Lofoten, Bergen and Olden. Also the midnight sun north of the Arctic Circle in July.

Maybe Bodø and Molde are Not that exciting or at least ir Will require longer excursions.

Bodø is located just north of the Arctic Circle -  10 kilometers north of Bodø lies the area Geitvågen with a large number of White-tailed Eagles.
Possible excursion by boat to Saltstraumen  - a small strait with one of the strongest tidal currents in the world - depending on time of the day.

Molde is a small town located at the northern coast of Midfjorden. In the town the viewpoint Varden with panoramic views over fjords.
You’ll need excursion or rental car.

The Atlantic Road running across bridges and islands One of the National Tourist Roads in Norway. Norwegian Structure of the Century and the world’s most beautiful road trip! 
Marble caves at Naas! The caves are a result of mining, active from 1938 - 1987.
Other possible longer excursions are Rauma Railway or Trollstigen and Trollveggen, however quite long excursions- both easier accessible from Åndalsnes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

Looks like you already have some exciting excursions planned - the Highlights are for sure Geiranger, Flåm, Lofoten, Bergen and Olden. Also the midnight sun north of the Arctic Circle in July.

Maybe Bodø and Molde are Not that exciting or at least ir Will require longer excursions.

Bodø is located just north of the Arctic Circle -  10 kilometers north of Bodø lies the area Geitvågen with a large number of White-tailed Eagles.
Possible excursion by boat to Saltstraumen  - a small strait with one of the strongest tidal currents in the world - depending on time of the day.

Molde is a small town located at the northern coast of Midfjorden. In the town the viewpoint Varden with panoramic views over fjords.
You’ll need excursion or rental car.

The Atlantic Road running across bridges and islands One of the National Tourist Roads in Norway. Norwegian Structure of the Century and the world’s most beautiful road trip! 
Marble caves at Naas! The caves are a result of mining, active from 1938 - 1987.
Other possible longer excursions are Rauma Railway or Trollstigen and Trollveggen, however quite long excursions- both easier accessible from Åndalsnes.

Thanks very much - I’ll research your suggestions.

Some comments to Roadmaster on the choice of a cruise for 2020. seems like you will have to set down your priorities from the top then find what works best. If, like me, you are partial to Oceania why not consider the July 6th Baltic cruise Stockholm to Oslo then stay on board for Fjords of Norway, ending up in London?

On 1/28/2019 at 6:39 AM, roadmaster said:

I can't comment on the Norway part - but I have cruised in the Baltic and loved it.  Just a comment about 3 days in St Petersburg:  More is always better in any interesting port.  You could do a week in each spot and still not have exhausted all your opportunities, however this is a cruise!!   We stopped for 2 nights in St P.  That seems the norm and was a good length.   We had a 2 day private tour booked and we had a fabulous time.  I wonder if some cruises stop for 3 nights in order to allow passengers to get to Moscow.  Our cruise did offer a 2 day trip to Moscow but it was expensive and no doubt rushed.  Personally if I wanted to go to Moscow I would go for a week and not on a cruise.  

So to conclude - 3 days in St P would not be the deal breaker for me.  

On 1/28/2019 at 6:39 AM, roadmaster said:

My thoughts on Crystal  -  PROS includes Geiranger,  all inclusive apart from land tours CONS cruise length shorter for a bit more money, 3 days in St Petersburg??? Would have to fly back to Scotland. (no big deal)

Crystal  - 19th June. 25 Days

London, Cruising, Bergen, Geiranger, Cruising, Lofoten/Gravdal, Tromso, Honninsvaag, Cruising, Cruising, Flam, Stavanger, Oslo, Oslo, Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Berlin, Cruising, Gdynia, St Petersburg 3 nights, Tallinn, Stockholm, Stockholm.

My thoughts on Silversea - PROS good itinerary. All inclusive apart from tours

CONS - shorter cruise, more cost less time, 3 nights in St Petersburg??

Silversea 20th July 24 days

London, London, Keil canal, Cruising, Riga, Cruising, Cruising, St Petersburg 3 nights, Tallinn, Stockholm, Cruising, Copenhagen, 

Copenhagen, Oslo, Oslo, Cruising, Flam, Gudvangen, Alesund,

Trondheim, Andalsnes, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Bergen, Cruising, London, London.

Thanks for any thought or opinions.

So to my Norwegian dilemma. 

I had my sights on Norway for a while.  We visited Oslo on our Baltic Cruise 10 years ago.  After a trip to Alaska I realised that I need more scenery.  So 2020 is the year.  

I chatted with someone about her trip to Norway last May.  She went RCL and loved it.  I don't think I am too bothered about the cruise line.  Her comment was that "you have to go in May for the waterfalls"

Is that entirely true?  There is a cruise with P and O Iona on 23rd/30th May

Cruise ScheduleSouthampton, England (23 May); Stavanger, Norway (25 May morning-afternoon); Olden, Norway (26 May morning-early evening); Hellesylt, Norway (27 May early morning-early morning); Geiranger, Norway (27 May morning-afternoon); Bergen, Norway (28 May early morning-early afternoon); Southampton, England (30 May)

I think that the same cruise goes through the summer.  Now one thing I loved about Alaska when we went last June was the long days.   This will no doubt be the same in Norway.  

So my questions to those who know about the area is - 1.  Is there a difference between May and June when it comes to waterfalls?  

2.  Have a picked a good itinerary? 

The more I look at the itineraries, I really don't think that this will be my only Norwegian Cruise.    I would love a land tour but not sure that I can afford it!!

• Like 1