Norway Fjord Cruise Q&A - Keys to Successful Planning

hallasm

LYSEFJORD EXCURSIONS FROM STAVANGER

I am researching independent cruise trips into Lysefjord from Stavanger.  I know there are a couple of different companies offering similar excursions where I can make an advance reservation.  Is one company better than the other?  Would a noon-ish departure be better than one in the 2 o’clock hour?  We are in port from 10am-6pm.

THANKS!

Edited by syesmar

39 minutes ago, syesmar said:

LYSEFJORD EXCURSIONS FROM STAVANGER

I am researching independent cruise trips into Lysefjord from Stavanger.  I know there are a couple of different companies offering similar excursions where I can make an advance reservation.  Is one company better than the other? 

I did the trip with the Rødne company for the Lysefjord trip... loved it!!! Booked and paid in advance.

011B44F0-6467-4041-89CA-8B1C17E2DC73.jpeg

• Like 1

We will be in Flåm from 8:00AM leaving at 5PM on the Oceania Marina on July 26.

Is it feasible to do the approximately 2 hr railroad tour at 9:30 and then the ferry ride around the fjord in the same day.  

Problem might be be timing in the afternoon as Flåm is a tender port and we have to tender first to be back on board in time.  Does anyone know how often the ferry runs and how long the ferry tour lasts.

stewart and carol 

On 4/30/2019 at 1:12 AM, greenlaker said:

Looking for suggestions on what to do or see in Hammerfest.

Here are some links to research for what to see in Hammerfest

https://www.cruise-norway.no/Ports/Hammerfest/

https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/northern-norway/hammerfest/?lang=uk

https://www.visithammerfest.net/attractions

We are scheduled to arrive in Flam on a MSC ship at 7am. The railway is "sold out" from 9:45am on. 

Should we purchase the 8:35am tickets? We are supposed to have "priority" to get off of the ship at ports. We've never experiences MSC or Flam though, so don't know what to expect. If we arrive late, I assume we've lost our money.

The cost is about $380 (x 2 for return trip?) to do this on our own with 3 adults and 5 kids versus $1350 to do an excursion through the ship. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Edited by drmomto3kids

23 minutes ago, drmomto3kids said:

We are scheduled to arrive in Flam on a MSC ship at 7am. The railway is "sold out" from 9:45am on. 

Should we purchase the 8:35am tickets?

Assuming that MSC will dock in Flåm you'll have plenty of time - it will only take 5 minutes to walk from pier to the train.

I would have no problems with a 8:35 train departure.

Our Crystal cruise in June mentions both Leknes and Gravdal for our Lofoten stop, but our TA checked and apparently the actual port will be Stamsund. We are planning to rent a car, so knowing the exact town is rather useful. Does anyone have any experience with Stamsund? I've been searching but haven't found many mentions of it.

Also, any suggestions on what to do/where to go? We are thinking of Nusfjord, Ballstad, Flakstad, and the Viking museum, but our stop is only 12 noon to 6 (realistically more like 1 to 5, what with tendering off the boat, renting the car, returning it, and getting back in time). Is seeing all of those realistic? Is there something else we should consider doing since we'll have a car? Thanks!

On 5/1/2019 at 7:27 PM, naturelovergirl said:

I did the trip with the Rødne company for the Lysefjord trip... loved it!!! Booked and paid in advance.

011B44F0-6467-4041-89CA-8B1C17E2DC73.jpeg

I have booked this for the family in August - can you tell me how you got from the ship to the Rødne departure point? The map they sent is . . .slight on the details. Maybe it's just obvious when you walk off? If it matters, we'll be on the Sapphire Princess. 

I was on a land trip in Norway- BUT... There were cruise ships at different areas around Stavanger... so it will depend on where your ship is... but here is the location of where the Rødne boat trip leaves.

Hope this helps 😏

24 minutes ago, JessRa said:

I have booked this for the family in August - can you tell me how you got from the ship to the Rødne departure point? The map they sent is . . .slight on the details. Maybe it's just obvious when you walk off? If it matters, we'll be on the Sapphire Princess. 

08FC9C2F-DEEA-4A03-ADB3-BB0579C4AECD.jpeg

16 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

I was on a land trip in Norway- BUT... There were cruise ships at different areas around Stavanger... so it will depend on where your ship is... but here is the location of where the Rødne boat trip leaves.

Hope this helps 😏

08FC9C2F-DEEA-4A03-ADB3-BB0579C4AECD.jpeg

Tak, naturelovergirl! Now to find where my ship will be parked. Moored?

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 12:47 PM, CruisingFox27 said:

We are going to the Fjellheisen Cable Car when we visit Tromso at the end of this month, is it worth prebooking the tickets? Does this avoid queues - would there be a large queue to purchase tickets anyway?

No need for purchasing tickets in advance - however you will avoid a potential queue at the ticket counter. 

The Cable Car has a capacity of 400 passengers per hour.

You can book tickets at this link

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JessRa said:

Tak, naturelovergirl! Now to find where my ship will be parked. Moored?

Vågen can fit a cruise ship docked on each side, so you will probably end up there. If you’re lucky, you’ll be on the east at Skagenkaien, right by the Rødne pier. If you’re on the west, docked at Strandkaien (where the cruiseship quay is marked on the above map), you’ll need to walk around Vågen, which takes about 10 minutes.

You can find the 2019 quay assignments here: https://www.stavangerhavn.no/wp-content/uploads/Første-nettversjon-av-cruiselisten-for-2019.-PDF.pdf

It looks like the only Sapphire Princess call in August (12 Aug) is at Skagenkaien, so you’ll be right by the Rødne pier.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

Vågen can fit a cruise ship docked on each side, so you will probably end up there. If you’re lucky, you’ll be on the east at Skagenkaien, right by the Rødne pier. If you’re on the west, docked at Strandkaien (where the cruiseship quay is marked on the above map), you’ll need to walk around Vågen, which takes about 10 minutes.

You can find the 2019 quay assignments here: https://www.stavangerhavn.no/wp-content/uploads/Første-nettversjon-av-cruiselisten-for-2019.-PDF.pdf

It looks like the only Sapphire Princess call in August (12 Aug) is at Skagenkaien, so you’ll be right by the Rødne pier.

Yes, that's us! Thank you so much (Tusen takk!) Being right by them excursion pier will make the day much easier for my auntie. 

Hi I am struggling with Eidfjord.  I think we waited too long to book stuff as we are cruising July 21 on HAL.   We'd like to maybe hike and do see that there are taxis we can take when we get to the port.  They say they will NOT prebook which makes me NERVOUS!  Also a bit nervous about the hike, finding the trail, staying on trail etc.  Can anyone provide any information regarding hikes at this port.  And prefer to not go to the waterfall that most will be going to.  Prefer less traveled trails if possible.  THANKS!

I have a question for Olden.  The ships tours (Princess Sapphire) all seem to have the glacier tour with the hike.  I have mobility problems so wonder if I can get tickets for this tour to include the troll cars if I go to the Tourist Information Office once  we dock or should I contact them and book in advance .  We will be in Olden on July 9th and will not be tendering and are the only ship there that day.  Can you tell me if I need to pay in local currency or if credit cards are accepted.  Many thanks and congratulations on such an informative posting.

Suzanne from UK

On 5/25/2019 at 4:42 PM, Penelope1213 said:

Hi I am struggling with Eidfjord.  I think we waited too long to book stuff as we are cruising July 21 on HAL.   We'd like to maybe hike and do see that there are taxis we can take when we get to the port.  They say they will NOT prebook which makes me NERVOUS!  Also a bit nervous about the hike, finding the trail, staying on trail etc.  Can anyone provide any information regarding hikes at this port.  And prefer to not go to the waterfall that most will be going to.  Prefer less traveled trails if possible.  THANKS!

I haven't done the hikes in Eidfjord yet, but in planning/researching for 2020 I found this information:

This is a pretty small village at the end of a fjord that is quite unspoilt and all the better for it. The tourist office is immediately outside of the pier and we got hold of a free walking map of the area. There were two walks - red and yellow, and we did the yellow walk that followed a river (lots of white water) up to a lake and then over a small hill to return via a lane through fields and small farming hamlets. Along the way you pass by Viking graves and a nice viewpoint that overlooks the fjord. The walk took about 90 minutes and was an excellent introduction to the Norwegian countryside. Returning to Eidfjord we had a look round the village centre (two supermarkets and a couple of souvenir shops) and then back on board.