Ushuaia to Cape Town Feb 25th 2019

carefreecruise

15 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

One guest fell between the platform and a zodiac while trying to board, right into the ocean. Spent the morning in the medical center. 

Oh dear, that sounds frightening.  As someone who has landed on Tristan four times I know how tricky that little concrete platform thing can be.  This seems like a rather accident prone cruise.  Anyway, I hope you got to see the potato patches.  Far more impressive than stuff like Machu Picchu and the Colosseum don't you think? :classic_wink:

DSC_0004.jpg

Edited by Fletcher

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Oh dear, that sounds frightening.  As someone who has landed on Tristan four times I know how tricky that little concrete platform thing can be.  This seems like a rather accident prone cruise.  Anyway, I hope you got to see the potato patches.  Far more impressive than stuff like Machu Picchu and the Colosseum don't you think? :classic_wink:

DSC_0004.jpg

The platform shown in your picture was easy compared to the platform on the ship. The ships platform with the zodiac bobbing up and down is where this gentleman fell into the ocean.  After that all the crew was checking everyone's life-vest for proper fit. 

Yes what a unique island. A potato patch for everyone and where else can you go where most have a little potato house next to their main living house. Most are even painted to match the main house. Behind the little potato house, slightly  to the left, is where the Volcano in 1961 flowed down to the left, missing most buildings. Looks like the island of Kauai for those who have visited...

CF2_5455.jpg

Edited by carefreecruise
  • Like 1

It's crazy what people will do to survive. Lobster fishing is the main income for this island and with all the bad weather; they  only get 30 to 34 days a year to go out and fish.  It is such a special day when the weather calms down to get out on the ocean, they ring a bell for all to hear...

I am on this cruise and we made 5 landings in South Georgia and had one zodiac half day tour.  We saw thousands of King penguins, seal pups and the abandoned whaling stations. No one was disappointed that we left about 16 hours early to get out of incoming bad weather and straight to Tristan da Cunha. We had an amazing gorgeous full day there yesterday and we are now at Gough Island and have already had an amazing zodiac tour where there was an extravaganza of wildlife. This expedition leader has done an amazing job of staying ahead of the weather and we have not missed anything so far. These are the facts. 🐧

Edited by Carlinet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Carlinet said:

This expedition leader has done an amazing job of staying ahead of the weather and we have not missed anything so far. These are the facts. 🐧

i am always amassed how someone on the same ship see things a different way. They are in their own world and like to say these are the facts. When they just do not keep any records. If someone needs any facts; we missed the first days landing at South Georgia, waiting for the winds to calm down and the last days landing. So I guess we only miss two landing. But I can see how someone with 12 posts can try to correct the record... I don't think any buddy is complaining. It is only expressed for others to allow some extra days because some may be missed.   

• Like 1

Well having done this cruise on the Explorer I to think you have been lucky.Some ships with 4 days planned for South Georgia do not get to do any landings.The Quark expedition ship 4 days in front of us was one.

We too missed the first days landing and left early for Tristan.We did a zodiac cruise at Gough Island as the weather was bad at Tristan.The next day as cruising towards Tristan a Force 12 gale hit.

So you have really had a great cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Abandoned Gough Island . . . so Tristan for a day . . . then Gough Island . . . now back to Tristan.  Quite the shuttle service!

Will have to give the crew a lot of credit. To make the decision to back-track 400 NM to give passengers a view of Gough island is greatly appreciated. It was an island that looks and sounds like the "Jurassic Park" movie but only with animals you are familiar with. They told us the Gough island was inaccessible on the last trip.

Speaking of "Inaccessible" that's the name of the island we are at now. And I can how it got its name. We will be only doing a ship cruise around this island due to high winds. After that who know... maybe heading to Cape Town or sticking around here?

Wish we could stop at Nightingale but not going to happen. We will stay a few more hours  looking at the island till sunset. Then start sailing to Cape Town, with the hopes of getting in a day earlier. Winds and swells are keeping us from this last island visit. As most of you know, that's the way it goes sometimes... 

Really sorry to hear about this . . . the elements just didn't conspire in your favour.  As much as I fancy this trip and revisiting some favourite places, I have sometimes wondered if it's just a bit too late in the year for the odds to be in your favour.  But I guess it's all about getting the maximum from the Antarctic season with this as a repositioning cruise with attractive knobs on.

4 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

But I guess it's all about getting the maximum from the Antarctic season with this as a repositioning cruise with attractive knobs on.

Absolutely. Some years with Explorer, they did the Cape to Cape run empty, IIRC. Then there was the year they rescued the crew of another ship. Challenging waters!

Edited by jpalbny

Got so connected to this island. We are getting into Cape Town a day ahead of schedule and have a meeting setup with the officials at Cape Town, on how to eradicate the mice on Rough Island. Felt so bad for the baby Albatross's... 

A couple of more pictures; one of Rock hopper Penguins frolicking under a tropical waterfall and vivid rock formations.  

CF2_5636.jpg

Rock Formations with vivid colors.CF2_5893.thumb.jpg.f42b6077e42bd23ad4304a5089a0b74d.jpg

Edited by carefreecruise
  • Like 3

Lovely photos of Gough which, along with Henderson Island, is probably the world's remotest and least accessible UNESCO World Heritage Site.   This says a lot about the Cloud's approach to these cruises - really prepared to go the extra 1000 nautical miles!

On 3/20/2019 at 11:47 AM, Carlinet said:

I am on this cruise and we made 5 landings in South Georgia and had one zodiac half day tour.  We saw thousands of King penguins, seal pups and the abandoned whaling stations. No one was disappointed that we left about 16 hours early to get out of incoming bad weather and straight to Tristan da Cunha. We had an amazing gorgeous full day there yesterday and we are now at Gough Island and have already had an amazing zodiac tour where there was an extravaganza of wildlife. This expedition leader has done an amazing job of staying ahead of the weather and we have not missed anything so far. These are the facts. 🐧

Carla is absolutely correct. We have had an amazing cruise. 3 scheduled landings in the Falklands, 5 landings plus a zodiac cruise in South Georgia, a difficult (but achieved) landing on Tristan da Cunha, two zodiac cruises at Gough Island (it was never intended to land - it is not allowed), and circumnavigations by ship at Inaccessible and Nightingale Islands. Unavoidable heavy swells prevented zodiac cruising at Inaccessible and a possible landing at Nightingale. All this thanks to a superb Expedition Leader, an excellent Captain, and their very capable respective teams. I shall post a full review in due course.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2019 at 10:32 PM, carefreecruise said:

Getting ready to pull out. We are hopping the weather stays good. The first Drake passage was a little rough but settled down on our way back to Ushuaia yesterday. Reports are it to be calm tonight and no broken dishes on our way to the Falklands. 

CF2_3796.jpg

Stunning photo - when was this taken?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

This was taken on the second of March, 2019. Exiting from Danco Island through Errera pass in Antarctic. One great day of many on the Cloud. 

Absolutely stunning!  And, as still as a pond.  That's my dream for the Drake Passage.  😉

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:29 PM, Stumblefoot said:

Absolutely stunning!  And, as still as a pond.  That's my dream for the Drake Passage.  😉

After six Drake crossings, only two were hang-on and sit down. The last one had some grapes and two apples rolling all around the cabin. Finding a grape hear and there days later in all corners of the rooms.

Just FYI: Silver Cloud has added swing-out stabilizers (like airplane wings),  dampening the pitching and rolling. Making the ride a lot better than the last time we were on her (pre dry-dock retrofit)... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carefreecruise said:

After six Drake crossings, only two were hang-on and sit down. The last one had some grapes and two apples rolling all around the cabin. Finding a grape hear and there days later in all corners of the rooms.

Just FYI: Silver Cloud has added swing-out stabilizers (like airplane wings),  dampening the pitching and rolling. Making the ride a lot better than the last time we were on her (pre dry-dock retrofit)... 

Yikes!  33% of your crossings were hang-on and sit down.  And, reading your grape and apple story was quite humorous!

Our last voyage on the Cloud was before she was turned into an expedition ship.  We had one day from Norway to Copenhagen that was unlike anything we had ever experienced before as we porpoised the entire day and night.  So, very glad to hear new stabilizers have been added to improve the ride.

• 1 month later...