Cruise Critic Community
Texas Tillie

New Website!

The Crystal website pops up, but I can't get it.  The blue circle just goes on forever.

I just found I could access Crystal through Safari on my ipad mini, but it is hard to really read and work with.

1 hour ago, scottsea said:

The Crystal website pops up, but I can't get it.  The blue circle just goes on forever.

I just found I could access Crystal through Safari on my ipad mini, but it is hard to really read and work with.

Hopefully someone (anyone!!) with more computer knowledge than I have will answer, but I have found that deleting cookies might help.

Patty

5 hours ago, scottsea said:

I have been trying to access the new website for weeks, and I cannot get on the website.  I have spoken with Crystal several times and no one has been helpful.  Yesterday a representative promised to have someone call me.  It never happened.  I have also emailed Crystal directly.  

Does anyone have any other suggestions?  

Thank you,

Dorothy 

Dorothy, I saw your other post where you talked about being able to access the site with a different device.

In terms of your primary device what are you using (hardware and browser).

That would be helpful to see if anyone else uses the equipment and browser combination you are using.

Keith

Keith,

Thank you for responding.  I am using a desktop computer and windows.  I think I solved my problem by going through Google Chrome, but I have not had enough time today to thoroughly explore.

Dorothy 

On 2/2/2019 at 10:42 AM, Coral said:

Crystal used to have a great page on their website which showed cruises with low single supplements. I haven't been able to find this but it since the website has been re-designed. At first my bookmark listed the page but had generic text on it saying something like Crystal offers specials for solo cruisers but no specific sailings and now I get an error. I have tried to look around and can't find it.

It was due to that page that I booked a trip I hadn't planned on late last year. I wish they would bring it back.

Ok - so they brought this page back but it is pathetic looking. Only cruises available are through next month.

Well - thanks for the effort but it needs improvement. It also doesn't show percentage of solo supplement. It just shows squares of a 7 cruises. Not even close to what was featured/listed previously.

Please go back to the drawing board. I would cruise more if this was properly done. I am looking for a fall cruise Crystal!

1 hour ago, Pat King said:

Firefox will not work well, but Chrome does. Odd, since Firefox is so popular.

Not a Chrome fan but it is the most popular browser out there. Last time I checked, Firefox is used by less than 10% of people surfing the web.....

Coral, I cannot agree with you more.  I guess it’s still a work in progress for the last couple of years.  Crystal’s IT department does not make it easy for us to navigate or Travel Agents for that matter.

46 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

Coral, I cannot agree with you more.  I guess it’s still a work in progress for the last couple of years.  Crystal’s IT department does not make it easy for us to navigate or Travel Agents for that matter.

They listened to my post to put it back but didn't make it functional. Go figure! I really enjoyed my last Crystal cruise and am anxious to book more.

So we are about 6 weeks since new website. Do people like or?  I’ve gotten more used to it but still find it harder to use than old let alone still missing functions. It is nice to be able to which cabins are available to book but not really usable to me probably different for people new to Crystal who are interested in what various venues look like 

what do people think 6 weeks in

2 hours ago, ctjon said:

So we are about 6 weeks since new website. Do people like or?  I’ve gotten more used to it but still find it harder to use than old let alone still missing functions. It is nice to be able to which cabins are available to book but not really usable to me probably different for people new to Crystal who are interested in what various venues look like 

I think its an awful website.  Too much with the graphics and it takes forever to navigate the site and find a cruise you want.  

6 hours ago, ctjon said:

Aren't all the pictures pretty? For sure.  How's the content and ease finding same? Lousy. I've never understood all these businesses thinking that they constantly need to reinvent the wheel.

Patty

I prefer the new site over the previous one. 

Things i I prefer include the ease of going into PCPC without having to find my booking numbers to log in, the ability to search for new cruises, the ability to see the next set of cruises, the overall search functions for the next set of cruises, the overall search function and the ability to view open rooms on a specific cruise.

i would like to see a calendar of all cruises by year and by ship and look forward to seeing the entertainment and enrichment summary.

Keith

Agree with you Keith.  Getting used to it.  Still think there is too much glitz, but it is a sales tool. But like to see what cabin numbers are available, like to see the next cruises of a ship (but they should also be able to see those before), and best is ability to get to the PCPC without your booking number,

Pat King  ---If you are having issues with Firefox -- first thing is to clear your browser history and cache.  That will usually fix many issues.

The question of most popular web browser-- is a loaded question - as smartphones distort the numbers.

If using a PC Firefox is the most popular, followed by Explorer/Edge.

smartPhones -- Chrome followed by Safari.  More Android OS phones out there than iPhones/pads

Edited by PaulMCO

23 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

The question of most popular web browser-- is a loaded question - as smartphones distort the numbers.

If using a PC Firefox is the most popular, followed by Explorer/Edge.

smartPhones -- Chrome followed by Safari.  More Android OS phones out there than iPhones/pads

Chrome is by far the most popular for desktops and laptops (not mobile or tablets). Not my browser of choice.

Edited by Coral

We have four devices and hardly ever use our two laptops.  We have two iPads and two iPhones and most people are not carrying carrying around laptops.  I can print from all devices send e-mails and do our banking.  I can stream from Apple devices anywhere.  Much easier to travel with as well.  Laptops will be a thing of the past.  You can get a real keyboard to adapt with the iPad it’s great.

Edited by MalbecWine

Maybe laptops are a thing of the past for some people; not me and I suspect not for the many people who have careers and require them to perform their jobs. 

There are lots of functions that people perform at home and not when they travel (most people still spend the majority of their time at work and/or home.

PaulMCO..Excellent point about web browsers.

In my case I keep three web browers on my  MacBook Air and my iMac.  I do have a favorite one but that one is too slow for my e-mail company.  The benefit of having three is on some sites one works better and on other sites another one might work better and even on sites where it works well sometimes it doesn't and that might be because of a change to the website.

Keith

I disagree, I see people in meetings including myself and also have an attached keyboard and I can do everything that a bulky laptop can do.  I run a 501-C3 tax exempt organization and have a lot of tasks to to complete.  I also have a family foundation that takes a lot of time and pay our bills through the IPad which is much more portable plus I can use the iPhone as a backup.

Rarely do I see people using laptops even in presentations during financial meetings.  Private banks hand them out so you can follow along when in a meeting so we are all on the same page.  No more laser pointers at screens thank God.  The presenter can move the cursor on your personal pad.  Any video is transmitted to the pad as well.

Our laptops are just like the old RCA TV.  Laptops are a dying function in the computer world.

You can disagree all you want.

I have three of four family members who work and all have laptops and all of my former people (we are talking 10,000+ do as well.  Our son-in-law works in a very high tech environment (the new and upcoming companies) and has a laptop.

Anyway, another one to agree to disagree.

Anyway, I do like the new website.

I expect it will continue to get better.

At the same time, dealing with users who have difference devices, operating systems, etc. etc. etc. will be a challenge for most companies and sometimes the problems are caused by the operating system, web browers, etc. as they make updates.

Keith

If Crystal wants to make the site so difficult to use that people just don't bother going there any more, I think it's "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!"

Roy

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

If Crystal wants to make the site so difficult to use that people just don't bother going there any more, I think it's "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!"

Roy

But, Roy, you have to admit that all the photos are "purdy"!!🙄😳😎

Patty

I certainly go less than I used to - I count on this forum letting me know things vs.   trying to find on site.  Sure there are a couple of good things.

I think, among other issues this new site is much more designed for people new to Crystal rather than for Crystal people looking for information.  A lot of companies face this issue and some have developed marketing sites and existing customer information sites.

At least the cameras are accurate every couple of days - of course it no longer tells you where you are.

One thing I'd love to see is the route of the crurrent cruise map along with live views.