Online check in and silver box

the_dylaness

Although we sail in about a month, I just did my online check in as I had to renew my passport after our cruise last month and was awaiting the arrival of the new one.

I found the drop-down list of occupations intriguing and a little odd.

-First of all, so many things missing! My profession is here, but not my husband's (and it's not an uncommon one.)

-Doctor is on there as well as physician (yes, you can be a doctor of nearly anything, but I think people use the term in this case to refer to a physician usually, not anyone with a doctoral degree.)

-Housewife.  !?!?!  My inner women's-college-graduate is not sure if I should laugh or cry.  I am choosing to laugh.  Is this really 2018?

-Relator.  Now, if we are going to be inclusive, should we not also include "relatrix"?  Or perhaps you meant realtor, like a real estate agent.   "Relator /rɪˈleɪtər/, female relatrix /rɪˈleɪtrɪks/, (Latin for "narrator") is the legal term meaning a private person at whose relation or on whose behalf an application for a quo warranto or mandamus is filed. The relator appears as one beneficially interested, but the action is maintained on his behalf." --thanks Google.

-Businessman.  See "housewife".  Maybe they are married?

Please understand, I am not upset or angry about any of this.  More mystified and kind of painfully bemused?

Also wondering when I will get my Silver Box.  Is it dependent on having filled this out in entirety?  Other threads suggest it should have arrived by now.

882511375_ScreenShot2018-12-19at7_36_36PM.thumb.png.046243b02acdae7fefe305177b73adcb.png

Edited by the_dylaness
spelling error

My goodness, I haven't looked at that list for so long I'd forgotten how silly it is (been retired awhile).

Doesn't matter what your actual occupation is, just pick any or none, I don't think (but can't remember) that it would mark your details as incomplete.

They send out the silver boxes 100 days ahead - I'm on your cruise as well as the preceding one and have had mine for ages. I suspect it's your passport information being missing that has marked your details as incomplete and delayed the box dispatch - you may or may not get it now given the current mess-up-the-mail season.

Doesn't matter, all that is in there you'll need are the luggage tags and you should be able to get your cases tagged at the port before you relinquish them - just be quite clear about your cabin number. Otherwise there's luggage name tags but you've probably got your own, and a heavy and cumbersome Travel Journal which is IMO a complete waste of trees - it's all available online on the SS website. I travel with just hand luggage so I all I do is toss the whole silver box in the trash - terrible waste of carbon dioxide etc but SS doesn't give you the option to opt out.

The important thing that is not in the silver box is your cruise ticket - that will appear for download and print under documents on 'my Silversea' at 50 days out - maybe your TA has sent it to you or you already have it, but if not do print it out before you go!!

Edited by jollyjones

Ah, they are a bit behind the times, the politically correct 2018 phrasing of housewife is "Domestic Goddess".   Happily, my profession is listed, but HoneyBunny's profession is not - there is no "Geek" "Nerd" "Does Computer Stuff", guess he'll have to default to "Engineer".  Wonder if they use the professions to cater to preferences (menu in the form of spreadsheets and green bar ledger paper for Accountants?)   

Contacted SS yesterday to check on the Silver Box (TA out of town.)

It was being delayed due to not having filled out the guest information completely- I am now expected to receive it in 2 weeks.  Exciting!  I love and still use an old set of Seabourn leather luggage tags so excited to have some SS ones as well.

Don't get too excited if you love leather, the SS luggage labels are grey plastic with a stainless steel wire attachment - elegant in a brutalist minimal way.

They are durable however.

PS You haven't signed up for the M&M, altho' I doubt it's worth the effort - I'm the only one so far  so we're not likely to make the required 6 person minimum.

Edited by jollyjones

On 12/21/2018 at 4:55 AM, the_dylaness said:

Also wondering when I will get my Silver Box.  Is it dependent on having filled this out in entirety?  Other threads suggest it should have arrived by now.

Our silver box arrived around the 60-day mark and we received our ticket (PDF file) today with 46-days remaining until boarding.  I suspect you'll receive it soon now that you have completed the guess information form in its entirety.  

Best wishes for a wonderful voyage.

8 hours ago, jawz33 said:

I am sailing in 32 days.  I received a silver box about a month ago.  I have yet to receive tickets.  Should they be emailed to me by my TA?  Or found somewhere on mysilversea?

thanks

Yes, your Travel Agent should email the PDF to you.  But, as JollyJones says, you can also find them under the MySilversea portion of the website.

Thank you Stumblefoot and Jollyjones.  Happy New Year!!

I have tried to access the documents via mysilversea.  But when I select booking documents, I get a blank screen.   The other download option, Travel Journal, fucntions properly.

As far as I can tell, all of our information has been submitted correctly, and everything has been paid since Sept.   TA is away from the office the rest of the week.  Not sure if I should contact the travel agency, or wait for TA to return.

I have attached a picture of where I am attempting to access the tickets.  Is this the right place?  Thanks again.

27A51040-F73D-4086-954C-CECAA37A0840.jpeg

23 hours ago, jawz33 said:

Thank you Stumblefoot and Jollyjones.  Happy New Year!!

I have tried to access the documents via mysilversea.  But when I select booking documents, I get a blank screen.   The other download option, Travel Journal, fucntions properly.

That is really strange.  As JollyJones indicated, there should be a third line.  Take a look at the screen shot below.

image.png.662f98055da5630d70fb602c8d829a9c.png

I would contact your TA once they return to the office.  Good luck!

6 hours ago, jawz33 said:

TA emailed our tickets this morning.  Along with an admonishment that final e docs are sent 14-21 days prior to departure date.  Sure hope she remembers the OBC.  lol

Great! :classic_dry: I'll be travelling 14-21 days prior to departure and won't have access to a printer. :classic_unsure: (and don't have a stupid, 'smart phone') :classic_ohmy:

Why do they 'cut it so close'? 

I have to say , for what is supposed to be a pretty classy outfit, I think just unceremoniously emailing the ticket and asking you to print it at home and bring it seems a little sub optimal.  Honestly looking at the ticket there doesn’t really seem to be anything that couldnt just be confirmed at the desk.  Are they really going to deny boarding because you don’t have it?

11 hours ago, Bill B said:

Great! :classic_dry: I'll be travelling 14-21 days prior to departure and won't have access to a printer. :classic_unsure: (and don't have a stupid, 'smart phone') :classic_ohmy:

Why do they 'cut it so close'? 

Did you book it direct or through an agent?

I'm pretty sure if you explained you dont have a printer, either would happily send it in the post?

As for why do they leave it so late, I expect its often down to guests not filling out the details in my.silversea in full - or changing it at the last minute, so they hold fire before flicking the switch. I'm certainly guilty of that when I went on the Muse..... My passport disappeared... (since found)... so had a new passport issued less than 2 weeks before departure. I had to contact and get them to re-issue as they had already emailed the ticket and made it available online and needed changing. I didn't fancy turning up at the gates with the "wrong" passport number and being denied entry.

I've certainly turned up without my "ticket" in the past, so wasn't overly concerned on that front..... but I definitely was, to make sure that had my correct new passport number registered in the manifesto. That certainly could have caused problems!

I did not fill out my guest information form until quite late- I had gone on a cruise in late November, but my passport was going to expire about 5 months and 28 days after the end of our January Silver Wind cruise (just missed the mark!) so I had to have everything ready to mail back the old passport the day I arrived home, wait anxiously by the mailbox, and then fill in the new passport details as soon as it arrived.  Oh, these first world "cruises too close together problems..."  (Yes I know there is an expedited option but I was too cheap!)

The ticket  should be available from 50 days out if you have filled in all the information early (and it hasn't changed).

The only time you are likely to need the ticket is to get into the port but some of those port security (not SS employees) can be very officious so it's a really good idea to have your ticket. It is an important line of defense against non-pax somehow weaseling their way aboard - you wouldn't expect to get past security in an airport without a boarding card, would you?

As for email and printing yourself - why not? It's the quickest and most efficient way of doing it. Dunno about snail mail to Bill B in Vietnam, but snail mail to Bermuda ... sometimes the snail makes it but sometimes I think it drowns in the Atlantic.

Maybe one day one will be able to get in the port just by showing the pdf on your phone (as with mobile boarding passes at airports) but there's no sign of that yet ... sigh

On the upside - leaving tomorrow to board the Wind on Monday, hooray!

• Like 1

If the tickets appear on My Silversea at 50 days out, I'll be fine - I can print them before I leave Vietnam on Jan. 31.

JJ,

I don't think the snail knows where Vietnam is. Two, airmail envelopes from my health insurance provider in England have 'disappeared into the ozone'. As for packages, there is at least a 90% chance anything sent here without tracking will be stolen (they are 'mana from heaven' to Vietnam Post employees); and, even with tracking, there is a less than 25% chance Vietnam Post will try to deliver it (they say they tried, but it's a lie). They make you go to the post office to pick it up... where they charge you 7000 dong for not doing their job.

5 hours ago, jollyjones said:

On the upside - leaving tomorrow to board the Wind on Monday, hooray!

22 minutes ago, 57 varieties said:

We will see you there JJ.  Looking forward to it very much.

Have fun Jolly and 57 Varieties!  Looking forward to your perspectives on the recent refresh of the Wind.