deposit refund UK

kelly kipper

We are elite plus members and I was under the impression that we could change our mind about taking a cruise and get a refund on our deposit before final payment.  I have just been told by Celebrity that this is not the case and no deposits are refundable.  I am aware that we can make one change and assign our deposit to another cruise.  Unfortunately that is not what I wish to do.

Has anyone managed to get the deposit refunded

Thanks in advance

8 minutes ago, kelly kipper said:

We are elite plus members and I was under the impression that we could change our mind about taking a cruise and get a refund on our deposit before final payment.  I have just been told by Celebrity that this is not the case and no deposits are refundable.  I am aware that we can make one change and assign our deposit to another cruise.  Unfortunately that is not what I wish to do.

Has anyone managed to get the deposit refunded

Thanks in advance

No refunds for UK cruisers

It has always been my understanding that bookings made in the UK have quite different and legally binding Ts & Cs to those in USA and indeed, other countries.  The most frequently mentioned difference is that deposits once paid are not refundable.  This applies to much of the travel market in the UK with tour operators’ package holidays working in the same way regarding deposits.  This is nothing new and has been in place for as long as I can remember.  The only situations I am aware of where deposits are repaid are if the cruise line makes a substantial change or cancels the itinerary or, if a passenger is forced to make changes due to illness and then there may be an option to make an insurance claim.

As you say, as Elite or above you are entitled to make one change to your booking free of charge (normal cost £75 each for first two passengers). So if you cannot/no longer want to go on a cruise you can phone and transfer your booking to another cruise. 

Your deposit is not lost nor is it refunded. We have used this option a couple of times without any issues. Often for alternative cruises nearly two years away....

Deposits have never to my knowledge been refundable in the U.K. regardless of your Captains Club status. If there are reasons for you to wish to cancel I suggest you look at your travel insurance although if your excess is too high it may not be worth it...

Unless the T&Cs have changed recently (mine are dated February 2017) I believed that you can make unlimited changes to a booking made on board:

'Cruise now' bookings are entitled to unlimited changes to a new ship and/or sail date up until final payment/ 57 days prior to departure.

I have moved bookings before, but only once.  Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

Unless the T&Cs have changed recently (mine are dated February 2017) I believed that you can make unlimited changes to a booking made on board:

'Cruise now' bookings are entitled to unlimited changes to a new ship and/or sail date up until final payment/ 57 days prior to departure.

I have moved bookings before, but only once.  Am I missing something?

You can move an onboard booking to another sailing, but what you can’t do is get a refund of your deposits. If it’s not booked onboard, as Elite, you can move the booking to another sailing and use the reservation - still not getting your deposits refunded but transferring the booking (it’s a £75pp admin charge for those not Elite or above). 

It makes no difference what status you are in the CC, in the U.K., deposits are non refundable.

1 hour ago, villauk said:

You can move an onboard booking to another sailing, but what you can’t do is get a refund of your deposits. If it’s not booked onboard, as Elite, you can move the booking to another sailing and use the reservation - still not getting your deposits refunded but transferring the booking (it’s a £75pp admin charge for those not Elite or above). 

It makes no difference what status you are in the CC, in the U.K., deposits are non refundable.

Yes, I understand about deposits never being refundable in the UK  but chemmo and kelly kipper mention ‘one change’ being permissible.  My point is that I believed it to be unlimited changes - does that only apply for on board bookings?

So the ‘one change’ is for Elites and above (with fee) for bookings not made on board?

20 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Yes, I understand about deposits never being refundable in the UK  but chemmo and kelly kipper mention ‘one change’ being permissible.  My point is that I believed it to be unlimited changes - does that only apply for on board bookings?

So the ‘one change’ is for Elites and above (with fee) for bookings not made on board?

Correct.

• Like 1