Viking Sun World Cruise 2019

premaasi

15 minutes ago, 2rinnh said:

Hello! We are excited as we get closer to joining you in Durban! One question, that I hope you haven't answered from personal experience: How are the medical facilities on board? Is there a physician on staff? My doctor asked me this yesterday. Also, for those of you just doing day tours in Namibia or Senegal, are you getting the malaria pills? Thanks for any input you may have.  Carol

Redwarrior advised what Viking carries for medical staff.

Most Shipping Acts require foreign-going ships to carry a medical doctor if the compliment (crew +pax) is over 100, which includes most passenger vessels. Below 100, a doctor is optional and where not carried it defaults to the Captain. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Redwarrior advised what Viking carries for medical staff.

Most Shipping Acts require foreign-going ships to carry a medical doctor if the compliment (crew +pax) is over 100, which includes most passenger vessels. Below 100, a doctor is optional and where not carried it defaults to the Captain. 

On WC1 all doctor visits were included in the fare.  With the head/chest crud going around many took them up on the included med services.  So many that they did not do it on subsequent WCs.  

17 hours ago, Redwarrior68 said:

Hi.  Two doctors and two nurses onboard.  Good facility with lab capability.

Will take malarion 3 days before Africa and then 5 days after.  Going on 3-day and 9- day safari.

Lots of NH people onboard.

Thank you!! My doctor will be reassured. You are all missing yet another snowy day in the 'shire.

The charges for visits to the Medical Clinic are very reasonable and covered by the trip insurance [which may mean secondary to your own medical coverage], if you have it. You have to file for reimbursement when you get home.

Hours for passenger visits to the Medical Clinic are listed in the Daily and are usually one hour in the morning and one in the afternoon. It is usually first in first out. Some wait time so be prepared. Medical Clinic doctors and nurses are very caring. Do not hesitate to go to the Medical Clinic if you become ill. 

Medical emergencies are handled anytime.

• Thanks 1

With respect to the excursions, DH and I enjoy ever excursion - some more than others.. In all our cruising experiences over the past 13 years we have paid a lot of money for excursions that were not better nor as good as excursions provided by Viking - both included and optional. In Bora Bora the included excursion was an island tour by small boat that was wonderful. Yesterday in Wellington, NZ we took an optional tour to Zealandia Eco Reserve, it was worth every penny we paid. 

I think Viking does a great job, but you cannot please everyone - Viking tries. Some cruise lines not so much.

Connie

• Like 2

On 2/14/2019 at 9:59 AM, Bridget2010 said:

Meet & Mingle # 3 on Friday 2/15/2019 at 5:30 PM in the Wintergarden.

Hi Bridget

We are joining you in Sydney.  For some unexplained reason I cannot register for the Meet & Mingle. I  would be grateful if you could reply giving details of the when and where of the next Meet & Mingle.

Derek and Elizabeth Speer

I see the Virginia Gentleman are aboard a Viking cruise in New Zealand. Were you lucky enough to have them onboard your cruise?   Can’t tell from their Instagram posts whether they have joined you or Orion. 

They were guest emtertainers onboard our TA last spring and in addition to really enjoying their shows, it was so nice to have some folks aboard under the age of 30 to liven things up!

Hope y’all felt the same and didn’t mind them as “Segmenters”! 😂

Virginia Gentlemen are on the Viking Sun.  Nice group of talented young men.  They generally do two shows of 30 min each sea day and have been playing Trivia dispersed throughout the passenger teams.  Last two shows today in the Atrium and will be songs requested by passengers.  They leave in Sidney.  They were spoiled by all the "grandparents."

6 hours ago, Redwarrior68 said:

Virginia Gentlemen are on the Viking Sun.  Nice group of talented young men.  They generally do two shows of 30 min each sea day and have been playing Trivia dispersed throughout the passenger teams.  Last two shows today in the Atrium and will be songs requested by passengers.  They leave in Sidney.  They were spoiled by all the "grandparents."

Sounds similar to our cruise.  Be sure and go to their theatre show it was great!

Yes I was disappointed when I saw their IG post that they were headed downunder this year for Spring Break.  A well traveled group of kids, the year before last they were the entertainment on an Antarctic cruise-Seaborn or Crystal or Silverseas, I forget which.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 10:08 PM, Justgottago said:

Hi Bridget

We are joining you in Sydney.  For some unexplained reason I cannot register for the Meet & Mingle. I  would be grateful if you could reply giving details of the when and where of the next Meet & Mingle.

Derek and Elizabeth Speer

Derek & Elizabeth

I am so sorry I missed replying to your message. My connection to the internet was hit & miss for awhile and then my phone had some issues. Then posting the meet & mingle info just got away from me. I sincerely apologize. Hope you are enjoying the cruise.

Connie

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoying an unexpected extra sea day due to the cancellation of Luderitz.  We joined the ship in Durban for the final segment and have found everyone to be very welcoming, though obviously those who have been onboard since the start have formed some firm friendships.  I really appreciated meeting other ‘segmenters’ at the Meet & Mingle, a great way to start conversations which have continued over dinner and drinks since that meeting.

Would I do a segment again?...  like a shot!  The atmosphere is even more laid back than a normal Viking cruise, and that’s saying something.

• 2 weeks later...

Come in Viking Sun! Last week of the world cruise - is everyone still OK?

How many are left?

Best to Bill and Susan from SLC, UT and Andy and Ann from Washington state! 

Hope you guys are OK and looking forward to the next adventure!