Viking Sun World Cruise 2019

premaasi

Wherdowegonex, we were only joining in Buenos Aires so didn't have advance info on the extension, but airline snafus have enabled us to go earlier and we will be at Iguassu nights of Jan 21 and 22.  The 21st is a full moon, I believe.  Hopefully, you will be able to see them during that!  We are staying at the nice hotel on the Argentina side.

4 minutes ago, Redwarrior68 said:

We booked thru AAA and the receipt included a detailed schedule of the ports to include arrival and departure times. We can also see those details on our MyVikingJourney online account which you establish when they give you a booking number.

Ah, thanks!

32 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I am lurking here, enjoying the vicarious pleasure of following you all.  May I ask--when did Viking give you specific details about the times you will spend in port?  I see from their website they don't actually give those times, so just curious.

I was curious about this, so I went back and checked.  We booked on Jan. 19 and got the times on our invoice the same day.  They do not post the port times for any cruise until you book.  But you could call and ask, I suppose.  Also, the times can and do sometimes change.  Just today we were notified of a terminal change in Miami next week.

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I am lurking here, enjoying the vicarious pleasure of following you all.  May I ask--when did Viking give you specific details about the times you will spend in port?  I see from their website they don't actually give those times, so just curious.

When I contacted Viking for a quote they provided a draft invoice/contract that listed the ports of call and times. We then had a couple of weeks to confirm the booking.

• Like 1

I am so tempted to do the Viking Sun 2021 world cruise out of Los Angeles. Yes I know it's a long way away, but it's a lot to save up for.

I look forward to following along to see what it is like - 2021 is a very different itinerary, but this years also looks very interesting.

Do let us know if anyone is doing a world cruise blog this year :)

On 12/27/2018 at 11:04 AM, RockyWeim said:

We’re only on Segment 4, joining the ship in Sydney.  But we have done the Falls in early February back in 2017.  Plan on it being very hot and humid.  It was almost unbearable, and that’s saying a lot from Native Floridians.  After the hour long walk out to the falls and back, we were both dripping wet, and it wasn’t from the river water.  We were only there for the day, so thankfully we had the foresight to pack a complete change of clothes, and were able to change at the Sheraton where we had dinner before our flight back to Buenos Aires, otherwise we would have been miserable for the last half of our tour.  We were wearing Columbia Tropical wear, but that did not help beat the heat.  The falls are a must see, so do go out and experience both the top and bottom of the falls.  

We we had done Angle Falls, Niagara Falls and that trip was for Iguazu.  On this coming trip, when we disembark in Durban, we plan to complete our treks to the Falls with Victoria Falls.   Hope to see you when we join the ship in Sydney.

Mike & Betsy Ryan

Is the only way to Victoria Falls via an hour-long walk? I hope not! 🤪

8 minutes ago, Conni Gi said:

Conni, You can see the Falls from both Zambia and Zimbabwe. We stayed on the Zambia side and even from our hotel the walk was not even close to an hour.

From our hotel to the World Heritage Site entrance was about 5 mins. Once through the gate it was only a few minutes to the first lookout. We were there in mid-April and the Falls were very lively. Lots of spray, so bring ponchos. You can continue along the path following the Falls. It was probably less than 1/2 hour walk to the far end. Easy walk, except for the torrential rain, which was actually spray from the Falls.

BTW - did I mention, you will get wet.

For a less adventurous viewing, you can also see them from the International Bridge, which is the border. We did not cross into Zimbabwe, so can't comment on the trails or experience on that side.

28 minutes ago, Conni Gi said:

To see Iguazu Falls, from the Argentine side, there is a boardwalk that takes you out to the top of the falls.  The walk takes about an hour round trip, allowing for about 15 minutes for pictures.  To get to the base of the Falls on the Argentine side, there is a foot path, that takes about 45 minutes to complete a round trip with a picture stop.  In February, the heat and humidity is quite severe.  

• Haha 1

Looking forward to following this thread on a daily basis until we join you in Durban in March 2019 for the final segment! 

Like Safarigal, I'd also be interested to know if anyone onboard will be blogging the journey.

Bon voyage!

Janet

I’m looking forward to my second VWC - that’s Vicarious World Cruise.  I’ve worked my way through the Roll Call and found lots of interesting people.  One thing concerns me , though and I wonder if Jim has noticed this too:  not a single reference to lemon drop martinis!  Maybe I missed it.  But seems to me, Jim, that this bunch has a bit of a way to go to loosen up as much as your crowd!  😉

To you all:  have a wonderful voyage and don’t forget us VWC’ers who are hoping for lots of comments as you sail along.

Oh, and one last comment for Jim:  Roll Tide!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Geosez said:

I’m looking forward to my second VWC - that’s Vicarious World Cruise.  I’ve worked my way through the Roll Call and found lots of interesting people.  One thing concerns me , though and I wonder if Jim has noticed this too:  not a single reference to lemon drop martinis!  Maybe I missed it.  But seems to me, Jim, that this bunch has a bit of a way to go to loosen up as much as your crowd!  😉

To you all:  have a wonderful voyage and don’t forget us VWC’ers who are hoping for lots of comments as you sail along.

Oh, and one last comment for Jim:  Roll Tide!

Thanks for the Roll Tide!  Got our work cut out for us.  Yes, we had a good crowd on WC1.  Martinis were great and a regular crowd at Happy Hour.  I am sure they will find their way....🍸😎

Regarding blogging, Susan, who was on the last world cruise and will be on this one as well, has a website. I think this will work:

https://wordwrite.wixsite.com/passepartoutpart3/single-post/2018/12/15/Where-Will-’Round-Two-Part-3-Take-Me?utm_campaign=f100a37b-1530-4183-8f81-18b02d95832c&utm_source=so

She's a single lady who had a ball and I loved following her last time. If you sign up you will get email notifications whenever she posts. She's quite the photographer and storyteller. Enjoy!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

Regarding blogging, Susan, who was on the last world cruise and will be on this one as well, has a website. I think this will work:

https://wordwrite.wixsite.com/passepartoutpart3/single-post/2018/12/15/Where-Will-’Round-Two-Part-3-Take-Me?utm_campaign=f100a37b-1530-4183-8f81-18b02d95832c&utm_source=so

She's a single lady who had a ball and I loved following her last time. If you sign up you will get email notifications whenever she posts. She's quite the photographer and storyteller. Enjoy!

Thanks so much for the link - hopefully I am now all signed up to follow along :)

• Like 1

Susan's posts are wonderful....they were so good I usually just sent them to our family during last year's cruise!!!  She posted a retrospective on the ports during the last few months and it was as if we were there again!!!  Thanks, Susan....have fun everyone!!!  bon Voyage!

17 hours ago, safarigal said:

Thanks so much for the link - hopefully I am now all signed up to follow along 🙂

So I’m not usually technology challenged but be darned if I can find a “follow” button on her blog...I’m accessing via my mobile since we don’t have a real home anymore...any assistance is greatly appreciated!

I too belong to the VWC’ers as I have been following along in anticipation of your  sailing.  Wishing all of you calm seas and wonderful adventures as you go on this exciting journey.  And please don’t forget us “armchair” travelers as we look forward to reading about the places you are going to.

Clay, if you click on the "home" button on her blog on the right hand side there is a subscribe button OR (and maybe better) on the page I linked to on the right hand side it says some of you may think you have subscribed to part 3 but you haven't. Click there and it will bring up the link to subscribe.

Edited by stretchcruz