Viking Sun World Cruise 2019

premaasi

I'm curious.  I've read in various places that Viking's excursion offering, free or not, are sometimes not the greatest.

Have you, as World Cruisers, banded together to book private excursions in many places?  This seems like the logical thing to do, but just wondering if you've done this.

7 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm curious.  I've read in various places that Viking's excursion offering, free or not, are sometimes not the greatest.

Have you, as World Cruisers, banded together to book private excursions in many places?  This seems like the logical thing to do, but just wondering if you've done this.

Some of them are not the best imho.  We have not banded together but in numerous ports made our own arrangements.  Many times a private car and guide costs about the same as the bus excursion.

5 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Some of them are not the best imho.  We have not banded together but in numerous ports made our own arrangements.  Many times a private car and guide costs about the same as the bus excursion.

Yes, exactly.  But it often helps to share with another couple or perhaps 6 people total.  Just wondered if this was much done.  We did this on our one Oceania cruise a few years back and it worked out very well.

Of course, you're right, in Asia  and South Ameria particularly, private guides are often very affordable.

1 hour ago, stretchcruz said:

Clay, if you click on the "home" button on her blog on the right hand side there is a subscribe button OR (and maybe better) on the page I linked to on the right hand side it says some of you may think you have subscribed to part 3 but you haven't. Click there and it will bring up the link to subscribe.

Thanks but must be an issue with accessing it via my phone-no follow buttons anywhere.  I’ll find a desktop and try following from there. 

This is mostly geared to the gals...I’m deciding what to pack now and am having a hard time. My head says winter-looking clothes...darker colors...suede boots, long sleeves. (I never buy truly WINTER clothes like sweaters, wool stuff, etc. for our two weeks’ worth of truly cold weather!  I just layer!) I think the “summer”  weather will range from 50-85...yes? We are used to a month of 100 plus degree weather, so I’m thinking fall looking clothes. Any thought on this?

4 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I will be trying to drum up some interest for private excursions on the 2020 WC roll call. Will probably start when the 2019 cruise ends.

27 minutes ago, Conni Gi said:

This is mostly geared to the gals...I’m deciding what to pack now and am having a hard time. My head says winter-looking clothes...darker colors...suede boots, long sleeves. (I never buy truly WINTER clothes like sweaters, wool stuff, etc. for our two weeks’ worth of truly cold weather!  I just layer!) I think the “summer”  weather will range from 50-85...yes? We are used to a month of 100 plus degree weather, so I’m thinking fall looking clothes. Any thought on this?

Im only on the first segment and expect , well  hope at least, that will be warm weather.  So I’m packing summer clothes, shorts and sundress’s mostly. When we lived in Miami we wore summer type clothes year around so that’s  how I’m thinking about it. Of course those of you doing the wc will have a completely different situation! I can’t imagine trying to figure that out 😎

1 hour ago, Conni Gi said:

It is summer now in the Southern Hemisphere and will be until March 21–that’s all the way through Australia.  Then early fall in Africa and spring in Europe.  But for the full WC I have everything from a packable down parka and hats and gloves, to shorts and short sleeve shirts.  

We are are about to get another blizzard here.  Viking changed our flight from Wednesday to tomorrow morning, so with any luck, we will be celebrating New Years Even in Miami.  The adventure begins!!

• Like 1

Thanks! I guess you are wearing the coat and gloves to leave your cold area? We think we will just be cold for a few moments (it’s predicted to be 37 here in Austin Thursday morning!) when we are dropped off at the airport. The low for Miami looks to be 70, and we arrive afternoon. It’s just hard for me to pack white piquet pants, but here goes! 

Thanks!

Connie 

4 minutes ago, Conni Gi said:

Thanks! I guess you are wearing the coat and gloves to leave your cold area? We think we will just be cold for a few moments (it’s predicted to be 37 here in Austin Thursday morning!) when we are dropped off at the airport. The low for Miami looks to be 70, and we arrive afternoon. It’s just hard for me to pack white piquet pants, but here goes! 

Thanks!

Connie 

The parka hats and gloves might be useful as we go around Cape Horn,  early morning Penguin expedition, Patagonia, Ushuaia, etc.  usually 35-55 down there, even in summer!

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

It is summer now in the Southern Hemisphere and will be until March 21–that’s all the way through Australia.  Then early fall in Africa and spring in Europe.  But for the full WC I have everything from a packable down parka and hats and gloves, to shorts and short sleeve shirts.  

We are are about to get another blizzard here.  Viking changed our flight from Wednesday to tomorrow morning, so with any luck, we will be celebrating New Years Even in Miami.  The adventure begins!!

Glad to hear Viking taking the initiative to get you out earlier.  Exactly what happened to us and two other couples in Boston last year.  Cost big bucks for Viking to make the last minute travel adjustments.  This year they automatically booked us into Miami two days earlier.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

The parka hats and gloves might be useful as we go around Cape Horn,  early morning Penguin expedition, Patagonia, Ushuaia, etc.  usually 35-55 down there, even in summer!

Oh my...now I’m thinking about a coat! Thanks! We are doing the penguins exp where we board a 

“speed boat” out of Punta Arenas, Chile, at 8:45 am. So glad you mentioned the temp! 

Edited by Conni Gi
Add

13 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Safe travels to all and Happy New Years!  See you in 2019!

On 12/29/2018 at 4:21 AM, Jammy Bun said:

Looking forward to following this thread on a daily basis until we join you in Durban in March 2019 for the final segment! 

Like Safarigal, I'd also be interested to know if anyone onboard will be blogging the journey.

Bon voyage!

Janet

Susan did a great blog for the 1st WC at https://wordwrite.wixsite.com/passepartout and she will also blog this one. Check her 1st for link to this WC.

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2018 at 8:42 PM, Redwarrior68 said:

Glad to hear Viking taking the initiative to get you out earlier.  Exactly what happened to us and two other couples in Boston last year.  Cost big bucks for Viking to make the last minute travel adjustments.  This year they automatically booked us into Miami two days earlier.  Good luck.

New Year Greetings from Miami.  We may the first ones here.  Our flight out yesterday at 12:30 pm was one of the last ones to get out.  American preemptively canceled all flights from 3pm Monday to 6 am Wednesday.  SO glad we made it.  And, now the adventure begins!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Bon Voyage!  So glad you made it.  We are reminiscing about this time last year and getting ready to meet the Sun in LA.

Jim, you will laugh.  We had to fly backwards to Phoenix and then on to Miami to get here.  Thanks for the good wishes!

6 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Jim, you will laugh.  We had to fly backwards to Phoenix and then on to Miami to get here.  Thanks for the good wishes

Christine, 

So glad you got your flight out and are enjoying  a few days of Miami sunshine.  A great way to start the New Year and your “adventure”.  

Karen

1 hour ago, kfran said:

Christine, 

So glad you got your flight out and are enjoying  a few days of Miami sunshine.  A great way to start the New Year and your “adventure”.  

Karen

Thanks, Karen.  We just saw on the nightly news here in Miami about the paralyzing snow in the SW.  Meanwhile, we have traded parkas and hot toddies for shorts and margaritas.  Happy New Year to you and Frank!

christine

1 hour ago, kfran said:

Christine, 

Karen

Thanks, Karen.  We just saw on the nightly news here in Miami about the paralyzing snow in the SW.  Meanwhile, we have traded parkas and hot toddies for shorts and margaritas.  Happy New Year to you and Frank!

christine