Wind Spirit Tahiti cruise review posted

Petoonya

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2018 at 8:57 AM, Petoonya said:

Sorry that it's so long! It's been a week and a half since we got off that beautiful ship and I'm still on a high. Urge everyone to do this cruise.

I'd love to read your review.  We are booked on the May 20 Tahiti and Tuamotu cruise and would love to see what tours you chose.  I don't seem to be able to find your review.  I'm kind of new to cruisecritic.  Please let me know where you posted your review.  Thank you!   Kristine

17 hours ago, Petoonya said:

For some reason sometimes I can find it and sometimes I can't. But found it!

Here you go:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=641857

Fantastic review!!  Thank you so much.  So much good information.  One question - which tour operator did you use for the drift snorkel/aquarium in Rangiroa?  We are past divers/avid snorkelers and I loved all the information about the snorkeling tours.  I had already contacted several of the tour companies you mentioned and they said they need 4, 6, 8 person minimum.  No one else has posted on our Roll Call that I started.  Is there another place I can post to try to get more people?

Thanks again for a great review! 

Kristine

Thank you Kristine.

Sorry I didn't include that info in my review. It was Rangiroa Plongee http://www.rangiroaplongee.pf/Rangiroa.html#

rangiroaplongee@mail.pf  Their website mentions diving and not snorkeling, but they do both. Very prompt in their replies too. They didn't require that I have more than me and my husband in the group to book but there ended up being a few more.

Tripadvisor reviews https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g7331671-d2136002-r142257540-Rangiroa_Plongee-Tiputa_Rangiroa_Tuamotu_Archipelago.html 

It is infinitely difficult to find people interested in doing tours for WS. Such a small number of people on the boat and so few on CC. I just kept posting to the roll call- was fortunate that someone replied early and we did a few excursions together. Don't give up. Somewhere between 2 months and 2 weeks prior to the cruise people often start to reply. Sometimes last minute bookers are more enthused about getting excursions going. I just watched daily for replies. Wish I could go with you!

Edited by Petoonya

Kristine- was it the tour companies in Rangiroa who said they needed 4,6,8 passengers? Or other providers? Just curious. If I remember correctly of the ones we ended up booking it was only the sailing charter in Huahine that needed four people.

Several companies will not give a firm confirmation until there are more people.  Ato's Fakarava tour, the sailing charter in Huahine, and Y Aka Plongee's Tiputa Pass Drift snorkel in Rangiroa.  I emailed Rangiroa Plongee a couple of weeks ago and they said the tide schedule is not good for that day.  Y Aka Plongee said that they would take us to the Aquarium and then drift snorkel Tiputa Pass if the tides worked out and if we could get 2 more people.  Last time we were in Rangiroa, we did Leon's tour, so we wanted to try something different.  We have not done the Tiputa Pass snorkel.  I hope it works out.  I was interested to see that many of the tours you did on your cruise were the same ones that I had picked.  It was nice to get confirmation from someone who has done the tours.  Thanks for all the information!

Kristine,

Ato was really frustrating. I realize that tour providers need enough people to pay for a trip out but it was really a bummer. I was emailing Ato every few weeks before the possible departure and he was just iffy. So I booked the ship's tour. Then just 2 days before the tour (when we were so far out in the ocean we could not get any email) he emailed to say he'd do it! So we had no clue he'd be there at the dock waiting for us! But he was. He ended up taking four passengers booking last minute from our ship.

They went on an on about what a wonderful time they had and that it made their cruise! It really killed me as that was a big reason why we booked the cruise. (If you end up doing the Blue Lagoon ship's cruise in Fakarava be sure you do the morning tour).

Ato took the last minute bookers out for $75pp or $300/day as opposed to what he proposed to charge us $100pp. If you really want to go maybe you could ask if he doesn't get enough people would he accept $300 for 2? It would have been worth it to me. Y Aka Plongee was also wonderful in 2017 when we used them. Just one drift snorkel though on a not so great day. Sorry the tide is not so good the day you'll be out there. Would you consider diving that day? Btw, the aquarium really is terrific. Just unfortunately a lot of boats out there.

Don't miss the coral garden drift snorkel in Tahaa. Not the same, it's shallow water but gloriously beautiful. 3 passes with the ships tour, just one with Le Excursion Bleue.

Edited by Petoonya

Thanks for the great ideas Peteoonya!  You have been so helpful.  I'm still not sure what we will do in Fakarava and Rangiroa.  I got a reply back from Vincent at Fakarava Diving Center and he said they would do a 2 hour morning snorkel for $20 pp.  If I don't get enough people for Ato, then maybe we could do the morning snorkel with Vincent, and then take the afternoon Blue Lagoon ship tour.  Is the morning tour much better for the snorkeling?  You mentioned we should take the morning Blue Lagoon tour.  I have also emailed Kariga2 about their Blue Lagoon tour but haven't heard back.  But that's a great idea to ask Ato if he would accept $300 for the 2 of us.  I will definitely try that.  We've been to Fakarava once before in 2014 on Oceania Marina.  It was an unscheduled stop (we were supposed to go to Nuka Hiva and Hiva Oa, but Hiva Oa was cancelled because of rough seas for the tender boats).  So they took us to Fakarava and we absolutely loved it.  No one had tours because it was unscheduled so we just got off the ship and hired a man with a fishing boat to take us snorkeling.  I don't know where he took us but it was incredible!  A whole wall of coral, thousands of fish, tons of sharks.  So we were so looking forward to going back, but I am a little frustrated with such a small number of tours.  02 Fakarava, Dive Spirit, and Top Dive all said they didn't have any snorkel tours that day.  Our diving days are over, I'm afraid.  My husband had a brain tumor a few years back and radiation took care of it, but the doctors think that diving would put too much pressure on the brain.  So we are going to stick with snorkeling.  

So I'll wait to see if we can get a couple more people for Y Aka Plongee in Rangiroa.  I guess we could always do a ship tour that day if we have to.  And I booked the Coral Garden snorkel through the ship in Taha'a.  Thanks for the tip.  We did that once before with Bruno's tour and it was really fun.  

A couple more questions!  You mentioned Tahiti Wifi in your review.  How did you reserve that?  And I think you mentioned you used an airbnb for a day room in Tahiti after the cruise.  Do you remember which airbnb you used?  Or another good place for a day room for the last day?  We were going to just rent a car, but I'm not finding too many must see sights.  

Thanks again for all your good advice!

Kristine

Your back up plan for Fakarava really sounds great. The only things we weren't too crazy about with the afternoon ship tour is that there were very few birds in the bird sanctuary- apparently they're only around in the morning. We also stayed way too long at the Blue Lagoon. It's gorgeous and maybe you were there on your Oceania cruise. Apologies if you already are aware of this. But it's not really a good spot for snorkeling (water about 3 feet) and the guide had us hang out there for almost 2 hours. Then we had just a little time snorkeling at Pufuna which was a nice spot but rougher in the afternoon. Maybe you've done Pufuna with O.  I really hope that you can get the Ato tour!!! The Coral Garden tour with the ship was wonderful- the guide did a great job. Two BIG guys who are able to redirect you when you veer off course!

Tahiti Wifi is https://www.tahitiwifi.com/what-s-tahiti-wifi/   Was wonderful to have but you really only have service in Tahiti, Huahine, Bora Bora and Moorea. Even so there were a lot of people onboard who were having internet withdrawal and I was glad to have it for the time I did.

Yes, not a lot to see and do in Tahiti. It's worth a drive around the island but after you see all you are about to see it's sort of unimpressive. The Airbnb we stayed at is https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3954269?guests=1&adults=1

The price is $57 US plus tax, and she charges 1000XPF each way for pick up at port and airport drop off. Nothing fancy but the couple are very warm and felt like home. She took us to the grocery store and asked us to get prepared food that we could just reheat rather than take up their kitchen space. The store selection was fine. We sat out in their covered patio most of the day and enjoyed the pool and view and read.

We are O people too and have another Tahiti cruise booked with them for 4/20.

Always glad to talk Tahiti with you Kristine!

Nancy

Thank you so much for your review and details.  It's most helpful. 

Would you tell me what time you docked in Tahiti at the end of your trip, and what time they kicked you off the ship?  I cannot seem to find this information.  

We're 5 people travelling together and I'm starting to book excursions now.

Thanks!

Eric Mealus

4 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Minidonut- how wonderful! Eager to read your review. Now you are hooked on WS!

Nancy

I think we are! We booked two more on the way off the ship: one of them from San Diego to Puerto Vallarta on the Legend in October. We live in San Diego so it will be neat to drive or take a quick train ride to the port instead of fly. One way air from PV back home is easy. We also rebooked the Surf for early January. The crew, food and just overall easy laid back vibe got us hooked! We have some friends chatting with us today about booking Celebrity again which we've done many times in the past. They arent ready to break away to Windstar but we will do it if it means seeing our friends. Sailing with 2000-3000 people doesnt bring a lot of appeal to me after our experience on Windstar.

18 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

I think we are! We booked two more on the way off the ship: one of them from San Diego to Puerto Vallarta on the Legend in October. We live in San Diego so it will be neat to drive or take a quick train ride to the port instead of fly. One way air from PV back home is easy. We also rebooked the Surf for early January. The crew, food and just overall easy laid back vibe got us hooked! We have some friends chatting with us today about booking Celebrity again which we've done many times in the past. They arent ready to break away to Windstar but we will do it if it means seeing our friends. Sailing with 2000-3000 people doesnt bring a lot of appeal to me after our experience on Windstar.

You really got the bug didn't you! We used to be Celebrity people too, but the last cruise with 2500 people on Silhouette about 6-7 years ago prompted a permanent switch to Oceania. The R ships have the right vibe and size for us, although WS is #1. A San Diego-PV sounds wonderful- going to have to take a peek at that!

• 2 weeks later...

Petoonya, we are booked for Twice the Tahiti next November and starting to work on excursions. Being on the boat for 18 days, we do not really want to pay for an excursion every day. Can you tell us which ports we could probably do on our own, either use the sports platform to snorkel or just go to a local beach with good snorkeling? Which ports are a must for booking an excursion. I have sort of gleaned excursion information from your previous posts, but need help with where we can DYI. Thanks for your help.

• 1 year later...

@Petoonya and anyone else who doesn't mind sharing any insight. We just booked an 11-night for August 2021 and I am already in planning mode 🙂

I did have a few questions that I was hoping you could help with.

Fakarava-We want to book with Ato and understand he needs at least 8 to go. Is it the Pink Sand or Blue Lagoon of Fakarava that we should book? http://www.fakarava-divelodge.com/excursion-fakarava.html

Rangiroia-Thinking of the Aquarium and Tiputa Drift Snorkel. Is the Tiputa Drift Snorkel less aggressive than the Coral Garden at Tahaa? (rash guard needed, etc.). I'm also seeing tours (non-WS tour) to a Blue Lagoon from Rangiroia. Have you been or know anything about it?

Motu Mahea-I hope we aren't shooting ourselves in the foot but I think we just want to relax on the Motu for the day and not do an excursion.

Jet Skis-Bora Bora or Moorea?

Bora Bora-We are booking with Tohora for day 1. Torn on day two on doing something on land/beach split?

Thanks so much!

Mnidonuts. How wonderful! I'm envious 🙂

Fakarava, it's the Blue Lagoon with Ato. And if you don't get enough people, if you are the only ship in port, chances are good he'll book you anyway but only last minute. The ship's Blue Lagoon trip is ok but not as snorkel filled as Ato's. If you do the ship's tour be sure you get morning as the wind comes up in the afternoon.

Rangiroa's drift snorkel is a lot different because it's the open ocean and nothing to smack into, but of the times I've done it the water is moving faster than Coral Gardens or feels like it. I've felt completely safe at the Tiputa Pass drift snorkel, you have a life vest, a guide and a boat closeby. Hate to see you miss either one. Especially the Coral Gardens. The ship gives you two guides there with a big burly native who prevented me from drifting off the wrong way a few times. Most people don't use a rashguard etc for Coral Gardens but you at least have to have water shoes for that. The snorkeling there is other worldly- more fish and ethereal beauty than anywhere I've been.

Motu Mahaea- there is PLENTY of time there to relax and still afford the 3 hours at Coral Gardens. The snorkeling is not great on Motu Mahaea so we just relaxed, had great food and wandered in between our tour. Some people do nothing but relax there, but personally yes I think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot.

We jet-skied on Moorea but I've heard people have a blast in Tahiti doing it too. Tahiti's lagoon is too spectacular not to use the time for being in the water. I'd do a second day tour with H20 Bora Bora or Pure Snorkeling or else jet-ski rather than do a land tour there. But we will always choose snorkeling over land.

We're going back (well maybe- we'll see about a vaccine) in April 2021 on Oceania. Our trip last month was cancelled. Be sure to ask if you have more questions. I love talking Tahiti. Very happy for you. It's truly the trip of a lifetime. Perfect time to go too.

🙂

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

Fabulous @Petoonya thank you so much! For now anyway, looks like we are the only ship on all of our stops.

Motu Day-We will keep Coral Gardens in mind as our first choice. I suffered an incredible amount of soft tissue damage to my knees from a car accident and any bumping (into a rock or coral) would be painful and also dangerous. Heres to healing over the next 18-months!

Jet Ski-That's good insight and we are also water people. Wasn't sure if there was a "must do" on land. The water looks amazing and its likely we will choose to jet ski on day two. I cant recall if it was you who mentioned it but is there a beach nearby the port?

Raiatea-We are going to book with Bruno. Your review was so helpful and his tour looks amazing.

Thanks again and fingers crossed you are able to make it in April 2021!