Cruise Power Strip - Ship Approved

pbrady

Has anyone taken one of these power strips on Celebrity?  They are not surge protected & are advertised as "Ship Approved"  Just google "Cruise Power Strip with USB Outlets" if you aren't familiar.  Just wondering if they really approve.

I would not count on the advertisement or something printed on the power strip to get it on board...if they are checking.  No power strips means no power strips....and that's what the celebrity folks on the ship will enforce.

I just looked at the Cruise Documents for our upcoming cruise, and read the entire 'fine print'. This issue was a hot topic a few years ago, which is when I first heard about the restriction of surge protectors. I went about locating and purchasing a supposedly compliant device (according to the advertising), and when I received it, I looked at the small print on the device only to find out that in spite of the advertising that it was cruise ship approved, it was SURGE PROTECTED and therefore NOT cruise ship approved!

I then looked for another device and located this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01MAWQG27/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is not surge protected. I presented it on my Celebrity cruise last February, and was told it was compliant. (which might have been subjective but that is what I was told)

NOW... after reviewing my current cruise documents, I note that there is no longer any restriction within my documents stating that surge protected devices are not allowed!  There used to be... but not in these current documents. (And for the record, the documents that I have reviewed in the past NEVER said 'power strips'... the restriction was for SURGE PROTECTION).

The only thing close to surge protected devices in my current documents, that are specifically prohibited are: "Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons/Steamers & Hot Plates". (There are many other items, but I'm just restricting my comment to electronic devices). 

As previously stated, don't trust the advertising! And rather than trusting what people say in a forum on line, check your own documents! 🙂

The people checking your bags almost certainly don't have a degree in electrical engineering. They aren't familiar with the fine print within all company policies and cruise documents. They only care about 2 things: keeping the ship safe and departing on time. If you check the documents and contract close enough, I'm sure you will find something that says the decisions of the crew regarding safety are final. If they don't want your power strip on the ship, then it's not getting on the ship.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:12 AM, RealBatman said:

.... As previously stated, don't trust the advertising! And rather than trusting what people say in a forum on line, check your own documents! 🙂

Agree. And on Celebrity's website under what not to pack. "Electrical extension cords".

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, MightyMike said:

The people checking your bags almost certainly don't have a degree in electrical engineering. They aren't familiar with the fine print within all company policies and cruise documents. They only care about 2 things: keeping the ship safe and departing on time. If you check the documents and contract close enough, I'm sure you will find something that says the decisions of the crew regarding safety are final. If they don't want your power strip on the ship, then it's not getting on the ship.

Exactly correct.  They have neither the time nor the knowledge to know what today's fine print policies say.  Bringing on any kind of these devices is taking a chance that they will be confiscated and returned at end of cruise.

FYI, if you are thinking about Edge and extension cords.... you may not need them. They have an outlet in the bathroom... by the entrance...under the sink. In addition to the outlets in 'the box', there is also an outlet by the bed... that outlet also has a usb port good for iphones... and the telephone (on the other side of the bed... at least in our cabin) has a usb port as well. So the bedside outlet can work for you CPAP (if you have one) and iphone.... the telphone can be used for another iphone. You can plug in hair dryer or razor in the bathroom and you still have a couple of outlets (as I recall) in the box for other items. Now I did hear a complaint about one plug that would not work in the box... So that could be an issue.... But in the past the cruise line has provided us with an extension cord... so that might work out if needed.I have added a few photos... sorry did not take photo of box... but there are a few out there

IMG_3185.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

On 12/25/2018 at 1:04 PM, pbrady said:

Has anyone taken one of these power strips on Celebrity?  They are not surge protected & are advertised as "Ship Approved"  Just google "Cruise Power Strip with USB Outlets" if you aren't familiar.  Just wondering if they really approve.

This unit is not made by the company selling it "Cruise On", but is made by another company and the "Cruise On" label added.  About a year ago, another CC member asked about this, and when I pointed out that their own advertising copy showed a photo of the back of the unit, which as others have stated above, lists a VPR (voltage protection rating), which is a measure of the effectiveness of a surge protection circuit.  That CC member contacted "Cruise On" about this, and they responded that the add copy "was incorrect" and they would "correct it".  As you can see, a year later and it still shows the VPR on the device.  Short of buying one to dismantle and check, I would say it is surge protected, and is using false advertising.