Kauai logistics

sciguy25

I need help in planning an itinerary in Kauai. We are arriving by cruise ship around 8:00 (with time for disembarking and getting the rental car). The ship leaves the next day at 2:00. We have the rental car for transport. My wife's birthday wish is a doors off helicopter ride, and we were able to schedule for the first day at 3:50 (arrival there at 2:30). I really had hoped to visit the canyon by car, since I have a fear of heights and won't go in a helicopter. With the flight in the middle of the day, I am not sure we have time to drive to the canyon and see much-any thoughts? So, if you had from around 9:30-2:30 one day, and say 6:00-1:00 the second day, how would you optimize your sightseeing in the car to get to some good sights (and possible quick by local eats along the way. Could we reasonably do the canyon on the second day-would that be enough time (just for car sites,not hiking or the like). Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing the canyon on the second day would work perfectly.  The canyon is better earlier in the day before the clouds start rolling in.  Be sure to drive to the end for the best views.  There are two roads, it's fun to take one up and the other one down.  We've been to Kauai many times, our favorite island.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, please get there as early as possible in the day as those clouds do come in very quickly and sometimes the rain.  We did a tour with Princess one year and why we had to stop at the Spout first and then a bathroom break with the chickens everywhere and a gift shop only to then get to the canyon later in the morning with the clouds and the rain rolling in, I was not amused and told them so and got half my tour excursion back.  I know it is all about the money.  But they really should time things a little better. 

We will be renting our car pronto on our next visit to Kauai in May and heading straight to the Canyon!!!!!