Train from vancouver to seattle

JRae

So we are arriving in vancouver after a sb cruise...I would love to take the train.. ..but what do we do with our luggage from 9 am when we get off the ship until 545 when the train departs?

Edited by JRae
Correction

I'd reach out to the station first - Amtrak don't run it, VIA rail do, so the luggage storage is based around VIAs schedule (which is infrequent, only 4x a week for the Canadian for example) and varies daily at times. There are usually current luggage storage hours listed on the station website, and there's a contact phone number if you want to call and double-check about your specific date. Sincethey are currently listing a daily luggage service, this might (hopefully is) a permanent change (usually it's been shorter hours in winter when there are fewer trains) - but in the past they have alternated hours between a morning to early afternoon or noonish to evening schedule based around whether the Canadian is due in that day or not, so it's best to check.

Personally I'd store it at the pier - where the service definitely operates every day that there's a cruise vessel in port - as the only downside to that (they close early) is not a factor for folks taking the train. If you return to collect your bags at 4pm from CDS, that means you will be heading to the station at the perfect time for the evening Amtrak service (immigration occurs here, before boarding, and it's strongly recommended to be at least an hour early - plus it's first-come, first-served on seating so if you want a window side seat you needto beat ~half your fellow pax to the station so it's better to arrive with more than an hour to spare...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TinCan782 said:

Nope - it's still Pacific Central which is run by VIA rail (Canadian national railway). Amtrak staff do the Cascades check-in, US CBP officers are also on-site for immigration for southbound trains, but VIA handle all other aspects of running the station. Unless they've changed things up you cannot check your bags for the evening service with Amtrak until into the afternoon (the morning northbound train sits around from when it arrives until it's time to head south in the evening).

Maybe Amtrak have started paying VIA for access to luggage room and carts - they never used to, which is why you'll see luggage carts corraled away in the northern parts of the station behind secure fences and doors as apparently Amtrak employees used to just 'borrow' them! Unless they have started renting space to run luggage storage themselves though, there's nowhere for Amtrak to put checked bags until after the morning train arrives and is emptied (by about noon if on time), after which bags can start to be checked - they just load them straight onto the baggage car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I have always checked in for my train and handed them my luggage several hours before the train was set to leave. Never at 9, closer to 11 or 12 when I had to check out of my hotel, but I have never had a problem leaving my luggage at the station. I have taken the train between Van and Sea hundreds of times. You will have a great time

(which is infrequent, only 4x a week for the Canadian for example) 

When did the Canadian start doing 4 trips a week - current winter schedule is 2 x and in summer it is usually 3x a week but because of track work between Edmonton and Winnipeg I believe Via is only going to run 2 trains a week this summer.

Or are you meaning both arrivals and departures in that total.

Dennis

12 hours ago, Urban trekker said:

When did the Canadian start doing 4 trips a week - current winter schedule is 2 x and in summer it is usually 3x a week but because of track work between Edmonton and Winnipeg I believe Via is only going to run 2 trains a week this summer.

Dennis

I think that was from one of my posts Dennis - in the context of the question, I might have phrased it better by saying 'The Canadian is actively using the station on 4 days of the week so those are the days that luggage storage is definitely available.' 😉

Given it was Xmas time it makes sense that the regular winter schedule would be in force when I checked, so two arrivals and two departures (where the departures are the day after the scheduled arrivals) makes for 4 'train passengers embarking or disembarking who may want to stash bags' days each week.

But as I noted it seems like they have gone to a daily luggage storage service tied to ticket office hours - since we're in winter but no longer holiday season that seems like it must be a permanent change, good news for all. Open at 6am means potentially dropping bags as soon as folks disembark their cruise, and staying open until after 5pm means they can stay there all day until those folks get back to check-in for Amtrak evening service.

8 hours ago, Eaglecw said:

You always take the Quick Shuttle http://quickcoach.com/ from Vancouver to Seattle we did that once.  It picked us us just outside of Canada place and dropped us off at Sea-Tac airport. It was just OK, not the best ride I've taken but we got to were we wanted to go. It's a bus what can you say.

We were considering Quick Shuttle from SEA-Tac to River Rock in Richmond.  We are cruising the Bliss 9/30 and the car rental prices are crazy now.  We were looking into the train as well since my kids have never experienced one. But we may stay at the River Rock. ( unless I can find a better deal) .So the shuttle seems to make the most sense.  I was wondering,  can you break down what you liked and disliked about Quick Shuttle? If you have taken the train,  could you do a quick comparison please.

Edited by MoyCoy

We ended our Sept 2018 cruise in Vancouver and faced the same problem with the 5:45 pm Amtrak.  We used Porter Genie luggage service.  After disembarking we met the Porter Genie driver just outside of Canada Place and turned over our luggage to him.  We also were on that same Amtrak and made arrangements to meet him at the train station at 4:30 pm.  We got there early (closer to 4 PM) and he was already there waiting.  The price was quite reasonable, and we tipped $5 per bag as strongly suggested on their website ($ US is fine).  Highly recommend this service.

Also, as someone mentioned, it is better to get to the train station early as you have to line up to be assigned to a particular car and seat.  Everyone wants the waterside (west) for the view of Puget Sound.  There will be two lines, one for Business Class, and one for regular seats.  Your passport or travel documents will be checked by US officials before you get on the train, and just after you cross the border Customs & Border officers will come through again.  And FYI, you need to be in your assigned seat, and they are not happy campers if you are not in your assigned seat. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 12:53 AM, Urban trekker said:

Dennis

Yes, there will be only two trains a week this summer season, but there will be a third "short turn" train which will operate between Vancouver and Edmonton and return. That will run from 30 April to 6 Oct.

• 2 weeks later...