Data SIM for Caribbean Islands

Javert1969

Hello all,

I'm going on a Caribbean cruise on Marella Explorer at the weekend. 

Does anyone know if there is an option to buy a SIM card in Barbados (or another port) that gives data across all of the Caribbean islands or is it a separate system on each island?

I have a portable hot spot that takes a SIM data card and it's been very useful on some previous holidays, but I'm not sure whether to bring it if I'd have to buy a separate SIM card in each port.

5 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

Where do you live? If you live within the EU some of the Islands will have the same rules as within the EU. St Maarten, Martinique (not sure how to spell it) are two of them. Not sure about the Br Virgin Islands.

I live in the UK.  

Itinerary includes Barbados, St Lucia, Guadeloupe, Dominica, Martinique, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Grenada, British Virgin Islands, St Marten, Antigua, St Kitts.

Just trying to figure out if there is a sim card you can buy which covers all (or at least the majority) of these places.

Do you travel after Brexit? If not, you would be able to use your British data on at least Guadeloupe, Martinique and St Maarten, maybe even on British Virgin Islands (not sure since I haven't been there after EU changed the rules regarding mobile data).

You will find a lot of WiFi on the Islands.

Keep in mind that you DON'T want to use mobile data onboard the ship when they have the satelite network turned on, that will be expensive.

Info on prepaid SIM cards around the world can be found at this Wiki:

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

In addition, I would repeat my frequent advice about "free" wifi found in port areas.  Be sure to utilize a robust VPN, rather than just using the connection through whatever "source" is giving the connectivity.  Otherwise, you are putting much at risk.