DCL sued for Age Discrimination

SakeDad

Interesting?  Yes.  Possible?  yes.  True?   That's for the courts to decide.  One interesting point--in the past, CMs who were on medication for mental health issues could not cruise; same for many physical issues.  That wasn't a discrimination issue; the cruise line was very up front about it as a safety issue.  Regardless of what a shoreside doc might say, DCL would contend that they could not deal with the possible issues that could arise during a cruise.  Of course, I have no doubt that they would look at the individual, the position, and the exact medical issue before deciding......

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

Interesting?  Yes.  Possible?  yes.  True?   That's for the courts to decide.  One interesting point--in the past, CMs who were on medication for mental health issues could not cruise; same for many physical issues.  That wasn't a discrimination issue; the cruise line was very up front about it as a safety issue.  Regardless of what a shoreside doc might say, DCL would contend that they could not deal with the possible issues that could arise during a cruise.  Of course, I have no doubt that they would look at the individual, the position, and the exact medical issue before deciding......

I can't figure out from this article if he was shoreside or onboard CM. It talks of his supervisor of booking cabins for trysts...I can't imagine on onboard supervisor doing this as everyone would know (I did 2 contracts on DCL, nothing happens onboard without someone knowing). This case makes more sense if they were shoreside CM's. More to be revealed I am sure. I plan to follow the story.

3 minutes ago, SakeDad said:

Original on which ship? I was on Dream her 1st year.

I was on the maiden voyage of the Magic, July 30, 1998.  Through the years we've seen people who were assistant servers that first year ultimately earn their stripes.  Obviously many have left over the years.  It just seemed that when we made a few contacts about an upcoming cruise, several long term CMs wrote back that they have left DCL.  These were people with 10-20 years of seniority, so it was a bit surprising.

Edited by cantgetin

On 12/29/2018 at 12:55 AM, cantgetin said:

I was on the maiden voyage of the Magic, July 30, 1998.  Through the years we've seen people who were assistant servers that first year ultimately earn their stripes.  Obviously many have left over the years.  It just seemed that when we made a few contacts about an upcoming cruise, several long term CMs wrote back that they have left DCL.  These were people with 10-20 years of seniority, so it was a bit surprising.

Another frequent contributor to this board was on the maiden voyage too. Speaking of which, has anybody heard from mokismommy since the boards went through their recent change?

We were on the fifth voyage of the Magic and it's fun to see all the changes throughout the years.

On 12/27/2018 at 9:23 PM, cantgetin said:

As a lawyer,  I can tell you that it's pretty rare for any litigation to get to a stage where someone decides what's true. Most litigation settles. There's a real risk to defending this type of suit because juries often believe that a long term employee is "owed" their job, even if they develop performance issues. Disney is unique in that they are aggressive in defending litigation where other companies might settle. I will be interested to see what happens here. 

On 12/31/2018 at 8:25 AM, gometros said:

Another frequent contributor to this board was on the maiden voyage too. Speaking of which, has anybody heard from mokismommy since the boards went through their recent change?

I always listened carefully to mokismommy’s opinions and advice on these boards - she was almost always spot on.  I have seen one or two of her posts since the site changeover, but not recently.  I can only guess that she is sailing more on Celebrity or Princess.

Hey gang, I'm here under this crazy new name.  Upon return from our last cruise, I couldn't get onto the boards with my old name and password.  When I used the "help" function, it somehow changed me to this new ID.  Any time I try to change it back to moki'smommy, it tells me that the name is already in use.  You are right that our last 2 cruises were on Princess.  I love DCL, but I enjoy going places that they don't cruise and paying much more reasonable prices.  Still....I'm looking for our next DCL cruise.  I just haven't found it yet.

• Like 1