Totems in Ketchikan

GlendaleCruiser

NONE require any "combo touring".    There are numerous totems  available,   with easy walking,  bus,  or cab access.    Right on the dock is the Eagle totem between docks  2 and 3.     Across the street,  is the bus stop that will take you to Totem Bight on the Silver bus.   Print out and take the totem guide with you,    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm    allow 3 hours,  with transit.  

Walking,   Whale Park,  and the Creek Street Entrance  has totems.    Take the funicular or Married Man's trail up to the Fox Lodge and enjoy the excellent Wallace totems out back,  ask for the totem guide.     Alaska Discovery,  museum,  and Totem Heritage Museum are excellent.     City bus to  Saxman is also worthwhile-  with a guided tour superior .    

• Like 5

10 hours ago, GlendaleCruiser said:

Thank you!  Totem Bight is what we want.  I'll print it and we'll plan on it. 🙂

We took a taxi to Totem Bight. You can take the public bus, but it takes longer (due to stops) and we wanted to maximize what we saw. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Take the funicular or Married Man's trail up to the Fox Lodge and enjoy the excellent Wallace totems out back,  ask for the totem guide.      

Is the funicular back in operation? It was out of service when we visited August 2017 and May 2018.  At that point, I asked what was up at a nearby store and was told that there was a problem getting the parts needed to repair it so there was no estimate on when, or even if, it would be back in service.

1 hour ago, GlendaleCruiser said:

Thank you all for the information.  It is exactly what we needed to know.  We'll take a taxi there and I assuming we can get one back?  We'll see how much time we have left for shopping afterwards.

Love your pictures!

The taxi that dropped us off at Totem Bight gave us a card so we could call to have them come back if needed and that's what we ended up doing. When we were there, we didn't see any taxis hanging out to pick up fares. I'd recommend that you either arrange with the driver to return for you at a specific time or have a number to call. We had decent cell service there.

We had walked around town and visited the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center before going out to Totem Bight. At that point, we hadn't seen any taxis queued for fares near the port so we asked about taxis at the Discovery Center desk and they gave us a number to call. A taxi picked us up within a few minutes (my husband had just enough time to go across the street and by a mocha to feed his addiction before it arrived). If you want to be more prepared than us, you might get a couple of taxi company numbers beforehand.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

The taxi that dropped us off at Totem Bight gave us a card so we could call to have them come back if needed and that's what we ended up doing. When we were there, we didn't see any taxis hanging out to pick up fares. I'd recommend that you either arrange with the driver to return for you at a specific time or have a number to call. We had decent cell service there.

We had walked around town and visited the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center before going out to Totem Bight. At that point, we hadn't seen any taxis queued for fares near the port so we asked about taxis at the Discovery Center desk and they gave us a number to call. A taxi picked us up within a few minutes (my husband had just enough time to go across the street and by a mocha to feed his addiction before it arrived). If you want to be more prepared than us, you might get a couple of taxi company numbers beforehand.

Great idea and thanks!

I always recommend going to Totem Bight  early-   not "tour"  around Ketchikan port area ,  then go .   Superior planning-  to be back in the port area for filling in time that is walkable .   The Silver line bus,  leaves about 25 after the hour from downtown.     there is no cab line at Totem Bight.   IF you call for one,  do so about 30  minutes prior to needing with and agree upon a pick up time.    I also suggest, heading next door  to Potlatch Park and taking a look at their small museum.    Also walk out back,  sometimes their carving shed is open[-  worth taking a look in the window,  at least.    Cabs can pick you up right there.   

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think you'll like Totem Bight.  The city bus is easy and cheap and the setting is lovely.  Do print out or download the explanation of the totem symbolism before you go.  It'll give you deeper appreciation.  A pic of one totem you'll see:  https://cruisingalaskaonabudget.wordpress.com/2017/02/19/totem-bight-park-ketchikan/

On 12/28/2018 at 12:23 AM, Budget Queen said:

. . . Take the funicular or Married Man's trail up to the Fox Lodge and enjoy the excellent Wallace totems out back,  ask for the totem guide.  . . . 

We did this at least once--easy , no tour or taxi required as long as a person can walk a few blocks on a flat surface (downtown Ketchikan) to reach the funicular.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 11:13 PM, Eaglecw said:

We've been going to Alaska every year for the last 15 years or so. We do something different every year. This we are talking about doing this taxi tour in Ketchikan   https://ketchikantaxicabtours.com/?

Hi. Hoping you can help since this is our 1st time in Ketchikan.  Totem Bight or  Saxman?  We are only in port for about 5-1/2 hours and hoping to hike Rainbird trail.  Which would you suggest?  Thanks.

On 2/20/2019 at 2:52 PM, JCBAY4 said:

Hi. Hoping you can help since this is our 1st time in Ketchikan.  Totem Bight or  Saxman?  We are only in port for about 5-1/2 hours and hoping to hike Rainbird trail.  Which would you suggest?  Thanks.

I would catch the city bus early in the morning out to Totem Bright. Tour the Totems there then catch the city bus back into town and then do the Rainbird hike. Rainbird is a wonderful hike, it's only about an 11/2 or 2 hour hike, it's well worth the time. A little tip, the bus will be very crowded going out to Totem bright. Walk up towards Creek Street and catch the bus at one of the stops before the tourist area around the ship berths/piers. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...