Wi-Fi on Marella (prices here and advice required)

We are on Marella Dream shortly and i have called TUI regarding wi-fi as couldn't see any prices here in the forum, for info the prices are below but could anyone who has used it recently advise whether it works in the staterooms and elsewhere on the ship (i.e not just an internet corner) and although i realise it won't be brilliant is it okay for checking emails and general browsing:-

1 day = £15 for 300mb
3 days = £25 for 800mb
7 days = £49 for 1200mb

Thanks

Wow.   300 mb isn't a lot, when we were on the Dream last year a chap wanted to watch a Liverpool game live, I assume he purchased the one day package and it ran out just before half time which meant that he had to purchase more to watch the second half of the game.

He was watching it on his iPad in the card room so that confirms that the Wi Fi connection is ok in there.

If your cruise is in EU countries your mobile service providers package is usually included so you should get access when in port. 

14 minutes ago, Brummijam said:

Wow.   300 mb isn't a lot, when we were on the Dream last year a chap wanted to watch a Liverpool game live, I assume he purchased the one day package and it ran out just before half time which meant that he had to purchase more to watch the second half of the game.

He was watching it on his iPad in the card room so that confirms that the Wi Fi connection is ok in there.

If your cruise is in EU countries your mobile service providers package is usually included so you should get access when in port. 

I think live streaming will always use a lot of data, certainly a lot more than general browsing, emails, social media etc

I do use my mobile data when in signal yes but i do work for myself so handy to be able to check emails when at sea, just hoping it works in the staterooms and and not just public areas.

26 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Best area inside is where the tables are between reception and destination services 

Hi, do you know if it works at all in the staterooms? I prefer just to use it for a short time in the stateroom rather sit in public areas on the internet. Thanks

11 minutes ago, Javert1969 said:

So if you buy the 7 day package but you run out of data before the 7 days is up, can you pay another £49 to get more data or do they enforce that you can't even pay for more until the 7 days are up?

You would just purchase another bundle i presume, the bundle you think will last for the remainder of the cruise. On previous cruises i have not used that much of the ships data, when you are picking up a mobile phone signal you can use your own mobile data (a lot cheaper and often free within your allowance) and of course whenever wi-fi is available would always use that rather than mobile data.

If you are using the data just for checking emails and general browsing it doesn't use it too much, very different if watching videos, live streaming or uploading large files of course

On 12/28/2018 at 5:01 PM, Vitalsign said:

Unlike the Discoveries WIFI on Dream is not very good and it'll depend where you are Midships deck 7 where we usually are is ok some of the time but don't know about other cabins Sorry Hubbie tends to wait until we're in port

Hi, the WiFi is good on the Discovery? I'm hoping so, as I need to keep in touch with home and we have a lot of Sea days! 

There is tricks to save on data, i.e. use chrome browsers and switch on data saving. The data goes through Google's servers and gets compressed. A normal 1-hour surfing would be around 40-60mb and with this switched on, was only 10-15mb used. Of course, this is for the 89% of Android users and not the Apple odd 11% owners. Apple doesn't let you do this as they want you to get into the habit of spending more money than needed.