Arriving Sydney by air - why not to bring

rhsjr

I thought I read an article but now can't find it that stated when arriving in Australia you can not have any food with you.  This means if you brought M&M's on the flight for a snack, or chips..... you must trash them on the plane if not finished.  Is that true?

The most important thing is that you declare anything you are bringing into the country, otherwise you may be fined.

An unopened prepacked item is unlikely to pose a problem, unless it contains prohibited ingredients - if you declare the worst that will happen is they will take the item from you.

Have a look at this site for further details - https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in

This one is a bit more concise - http://www.agriculture.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/arriving-english-factsheet.pdf

Edited by Muckyduckway
  • Like 1

Yep always declare, prepackaged commercial foods, like m&ms probably won’t be an issue, but as said above if it is any you have declared worst case is it gets thrown.

dont declare and the penalties are harsh, and I for one am glad they are.

Good tips above.

Declare,  declare, declare (just tick YES)  on the incoming passenger form.

After luggage collection, you will be met by customs and quarantine officers who will check your form.  When you ticked a yes to anything,  they will ask you what you have  and decide there weather to send you to the green or red channels 

As long as you declare any food stuffs, you won't get into trouble.  As a previous poster said, worst case scenario is that they make you chuck the items away. 

In my flying days I always repeatedly told my crews to "Declare anything you stick in your mouth, apart from your fingers". Still. Too many got busted...

7 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep always declare, prepackaged commercial foods, like m&ms probably won’t be an issue, but as said above if it is any you have declared worst case is it gets thrown.

dont declare and the penalties are harsh, and I for one am glad they are.

Not harsh enough. $250 or thereabouts only. And that's for the entire loot, if someone brings a whole case of stuff.

I believe there should be levels of fines. 

An undeclared chocolate MAY mean a small fine, but fresh fruit or such mean a higher fine. And when it comes to "exotic stuff" such as fertilized pickled eggs, honey covered crickets and bags of twigs ("tea"), a hefty fine should be applied.  PER ITEM.

No warning for any airline crew.  THEY should know better.  They are trained.

Threatening people (especially tourists) with court action is useless.

Just an expense to the tax payer.

Hit them hard where it hurts. Monetary,  on the spot fines.

I have to agree with buchhalm. Where there is full blown intention and zero declaration, and a mass of prohibited items hidden throughout luggage - the fine should be ten times what it currently is. 

They currently are 'on the spot' fines - but far too low for the actual crime of non-declaration, and far too many are simply let off with a warning. Especially when their stupid intentions can wipe out our agricultural industry.

And often enough "Australian citizens" who live in the country or foreign students studying in Oz, in both examples for years,  and who don't speak any English... that raises my blood pressure. 

Australian customs and quarantine are so kind to provide officers who speak a number of Chinese dialects, Arabic,  Greek,  Italian etc for the most common culprits....

• Like 1

Personally I think they should be hit with a massive fine, locked up till it’s paid, then put on the next flight out.

after all if they don’t obey the law on arrival, what’s the bet they will once they’re in the country.

Last time in OZ we flew from KL to Gold Coast.  We were amazed at the number of people pulled over for additional inspection and amazed at the food items that we noticed some of them had.     Next month we are returning but from Krabi/Singapore to Gold Coast.    We only had small carry ons and we asked jokingly if we were smuggling in any maple syrup.   The line we were directed to passed through very quickly.

You need to be very careful in NZ as well.  That apple in your hand bag is a definite no no.

Edited by iancal

On 12/28/2018 at 4:48 PM, rhsjr said:

I thought I read an article but now can't find it that stated when arriving in Australia you can not have any food with you.  This means if you brought M&M's on the flight for a snack, or chips..... you must trash them on the plane if not finished.  Is that true?

Well...if they are open and "not finished", then I would say trash them.  If unopened, declare them.  I declared a sealed bag of almonds (after all, they're "seeds") and was ushered through the inspection line quickly.  No issues.  But I don't know what would have happened if I had not declared them.

Agree, if opened, chuck them. Unopened, processed food, declare. That said, Australian customs do make some really bizarre calls - I was in the UK a number of years ago when they had an active foot and mouth outbreak. I was a long way from any FMD-affected areas, but I had been on farmland and around cattle. Declared on my incoming passenger card - which didn’t specify area, simply that I’d been in the UK, in rural areas and in contact with livestock. Customs couldn’t have cared less ... but put me through the ringer over a sealed muesli bar - made in Australia, but declared as food anyway - that was still in my bag on the return trip. 

3 minutes ago, 702allennaru said:

I will be going Sydney next month and planning to bring along some medication for fever and charcoal pills. Do I need to declare them at the custom?

Yep declare all medications. And if you’re declaring them, add the charcoal pills to the list can’t hurt, I expect you’ll just be waved through. But im a big believer in declare, declare, declare.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 9:48 PM, rhsjr said:

This means if you brought M&M's on the flight for a snack, or chips..... you must trash them on the plane if not finished.

On the walk between the aircraft and the immigration area, there are lots of quarantine dump bins into which you can throw stuff you no longer want. In some ways, it's easier to plan to use these.

Australia and New Zealand are first world countries and down under we have everything here that you can buy at home. Normal commercial snacks are not a problem. Meat, honey and fruit are an issue in both countries so don't bring them across the border. If you have any doubts go through the red declare gate and the border protection officer will assist you.. Many items that used to be declared are no longer so

• 3 weeks later...

Question - I have lots of Macy's cosmetics / fragrance goodie bags that I'd like to give to my cousins when visiting Sydney.  After reading this thread, I guess I will declare them.  But will they tax me on those items?  They're technically "free stuff".

Thank you.

42 minutes ago, aSiAnRiCk said:

I have lots of Macy's cosmetics / fragrance goodie bags that I'd like to give to my cousins when visiting Sydney.  After reading this thread, I guess I will declare them.  But will they tax me on those items?  They're technically "free stuff".

If they don't fall within the sensitive categories that are being asked about (eg food), and they're not worth more than the non-declaration limit, then why bother to declare them?

You'll see an old version of the customs declaration form in this post: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2625841-entry-declare-form-not-visa/?do=findComment&comment=56620227

The current version, which you will be given before arrival, will have the current non-declaration limit for gifts; I can't now remember what it is.

2 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

Manufacturers samples should be declared 

But they are not samples "for business/commercial use" (see the declaration form). So where is the obligation to declare them?

Don't declare and run the risk of long explanations should they do a random baggage search or declare and explain what you have to a customs official and be on your way probably barely stopping in the out queue your choice. I am amazed how many people use forums like this for " official" policy when crossing borders rather than go direct to the relevant website of the country involved. I know what I would do and that's be open and upfront. Saves so much time and hassle .

1 hour ago, Beanb41 said:

Don't declare and run the risk of long explanations should they do a random baggage search or declare and explain what you have to a customs official and be on your way probably barely stopping in the out queue ... I know what I would do and that's be open and upfront. Saves so much time and hassle .

By that logic, you would answer "yes" to every single question on the customs form, even the ones to which the correct answer is "no". Is that what you do?

I'll bet you also answer "no" when the correct answer is "no".

• 3 weeks later...

I usually make up my own first aid kit ( cough drops, over the counter cold meds for people with high blood pressure, over the counter pain reliever, something for insect bites, and a few other item). Will I need to declare these items even if they are over the counter. My husband takes a prescribed heart medication will we need to declare those. He also takes several herbal pills will they on need to be declared. Should all items be in original packaging and not in pill boxes. I usually put items in small plastic bags and label is that a no-no?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Never had any problems with Australia always found the official staff to be friendly and very helpful.  Really the only key is to declare the items, if not allowed (food stuff) they will not fine you and give you the option to have destroyed.  The only time they are not nice is if you lie to them and have illegal items, weapons,  etc......  Australia is a very friendly country.