Arriving Sydney by air - why not to bring

rhsjr

2 minutes ago, Tansy Mews said:

Hiking boots!

According to the Australian government site, you must declare them, and a biosecurity person will examine them.

Outdoor, camping and sports equipment and footwear
• hiking boots
• fishing equipment
• anything that could be contaminated with soil, seeds or water

Anyone with experience?

If I washed the soles before we leave home...would that do? Suggestions? 

I normally wear my boots so I don't have to squeeze them into my luggage, but that's not a huge issue. Plus we areee leaving Canada in winter and they work for a bit of slippery ice or snow.

Just I don't want to have to shop for some if I don't need to.

https://www.agriculture.gov.au/sites/default/files/sitecollectiondocuments/arriving-english-factsheet.pdf

Frances

Wearing them should make things easy - just declare them. Usually they’ll do a superficial inspection, and if they’re concerned the boots will be taken away and cleaned - that has been my parents experience at any rate.

My own left me rather gobsmacked - I was in the UK in 2001 when they had a FMD outbreak, had been on rural properties and around livestock (nowhere near FMD affected areas, but customs/quarantine had no way of knowing that) and I was waved through with no questioning, no inspection of my boots, nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Tansy Mews said:

Hiking boots!

According to the Australian government site, you must declare them, and a biosecurity person will examine them.

Outdoor, camping and sports equipment and footwear
• hiking boots
• fishing equipment
• anything that could be contaminated with soil, seeds or water

Anyone with experience?

If I washed the soles before we leave home...would that do? Suggestions? 

I normally wear my boots so I don't have to squeeze them into my luggage, but that's not a huge issue. Plus we areee leaving Canada in winter and they work for a bit of slippery ice or snow.

Just I don't want to have to shop for some if I don't need to.

https://www.agriculture.gov.au/sites/default/files/sitecollectiondocuments/arriving-english-factsheet.pdf

Frances

If you washed them before hand you will MINIMISE any disruption.  If the border officers are of a mind to look at them they have the right and will exercise that right. If requiring cleaning they will take them away for cleaning and return them when complete.

One should always when crossing the border anywhere be cognisant of bio security requirements of the country being visited. If you would want a visitor to your country to respect your bio security rules repay the favour and respect theirs.

This is a cruise forum do you really need to take or wear heavy boots to Australia. It is nearly summer here now

11 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

One should always when crossing the border anywhere be cognisant of bio security requirements of the country being visited. If you would want a visitor to your country to respect your bio security rules repay the favour and respect theirs.

This is a cruise forum do you really need to take or wear heavy boots to Australia. It is nearly summer here now

Absolutely I respect biosecurity precautions. 

I wear lightweight hiking shoes for comfort and secure footing, especially when walking on rougher ground. I wear them in hot weather here (30 C and more).

I haven't run into this before. Food stuffs, yes. 

Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, Tansy Mews said:

Absolutely I respect biosecurity precautions. 

I wear lightweight hiking shoes for comfort and secure footing, especially when walking on rougher ground. I wear them in hot weather here (30 C and more).

I haven't run into this before. Food stuffs, yes. 

Thanks for the info.

I've had my shoes taken away and sprayed on return from New Zealand and also had my shoes inspected after returning from a visit to Niagra Falls.  It's not a big deal, just give them a decent clean before you fly and if there's an issue they'll do the rest (it took about 5ish minutes if I remember correctly).

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2019 at 10:43 PM, Tansy Mews said:

Hiking boots!

Anyone with experience?

On 11/17/2019 at 10:51 PM, LokiPoki said:

Wearing them should make things easy - just declare them. Usually they’ll do a superficial inspection, and if they’re concerned the boots will be taken away and cleaned - that has been my parents experience at any rate.

On 11/17/2019 at 10:51 PM, Beanb41 said:

If you washed them before hand you will MINIMISE any disruption.  If the border officers are of a mind to look at them they have the right and will exercise that right. If requiring cleaning they will take them away for cleaning and return them when complete.

Please don't tell so many people about the Sydney Airport boot cleaning service, or else everyone will be making use of it!

My personal tip is not to wear the boots, but to tie the laces together and carry them by the laces. This makes it much easier at security - you just heave the boots into a tray to go into the X-ray machine. And if you're carrying them by the laces rather than in a bag, they seem to become invisible to those who are counting carry-on bags. Plus it's then really easy (even easier than if you're wearing them) to show the soles to the quarantine people.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
14 hours ago, chaching said:

Do these rules apply to carry on and checked luggage? I had no idea about any of these things! TIA.

ChaChing

Biosecurity rules apply to EVERYTHING you're bringing in... checked bags, carry on, stuffed down your bra...

If you're unsure (ie brought your own snacks for the flight, prescription meds, or muddy hiking boots, etc. etc.), just declare it. The officers at the border are decent and there's no penalty for declaring something that's then confiscated (ie if your foodstuff was deemed to be unwelcome in Australia cos it's got seeds in it or something... generally anything processed & packaged is totally fine).

If you hide it... and are caught... then you'll see their bad side.