Singapore Transportation from Cruise Pier

44 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Does anyone know if Princess provides transportation from the ship to the Singapore Cruise Center?

Tom🤔

Where is your ship docked? If it is docked at other than the Cruise Centre, I don't think there would be transportation from the ship to the Cruise Centre.

There are two cruise terminals in Singapore. The Singapore Cruise Centre is used for smaller ships, I believe. The main cruise terminal is at Marina Bay, and that is where we docked on Golden Princess a couple of years ago. Sun Princess was also in port that day at that terminal. I doubt that Princess would provide transportation to the Singapore Cruise Center as it is further away from the main parts of the city than Marina Bay. There are plenty of cheap taxis at Marina Bay. Also there is a MRT train station a short walk away and if you really need to go to the Singapore Cruise Centre then you will be able do do that fairly easily on the MRT network.

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There are two cruise terminals in Singapore. The Singapore Cruise Centre is used for smaller ships, I believe. The main cruise terminal is at Marina Bay, and that is where we docked on Golden Princess a couple of years ago. Sun Princess was also in port that day at that terminal. I doubt that Princess would provide transportation to the Singapore Cruise Center as it is further away from the main parts of the city than Marina Bay. There are plenty of cheap taxis at Marina Bay. Also there is a MRT train station a short walk away and if you really need to go to the Singapore Cruise Centre then you will be able do do that fairly easily on the MRT network.

Thanks for your info. Yes a short ride in a taxi will work. Your right about being at the Marina Bay Terminal since I’ll be on the Majestic. 

Tom😎

Most cruise lines provide transfers, time consuming and costly.  Singapore taxis are cheap and efficient.  With 3 of us last year on some short trips around the city, very close to MRT costs without walking.  Singapore is always humid.

watch for touts at cruise terminal and airports who will offer you private taxi at fixed rate.  They are about double normal taxi fares.

if you dock at Marina Bay walk out of customs area and straight towards taxis, at Harbourfront taxis are in the parking area outside customs.

Singapore is a beautiful city with lots to see and do, have been there 7 times and still find new things to see.  Enjoy

Singapore Marina Bay Cruise Centre has a taxi scam operating for departing passengers where only Limo white taxis are allowed to come in to where the passengers exit the terminal. Quoting S$60 to city hotels.

Walk to left of lineup for these taxis, across the road & straight ahead past the buses to where there is an organised allocation of the usual Singapore taxis.  Cost to hotel in our case S$19.  A S$40 saving for a short mostly undercover walk.

1 hour ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Singapore Marina Bay Cruise Centre has a taxi scam operating for departing passengers where only Limo white taxis are allowed to come in to where the passengers exit the terminal. Quoting S$60 to city hotels.

Walk to left of lineup for these taxis, across the road & straight ahead past the buses to where there is an organised allocation of the usual Singapore taxis.  Cost to hotel in our case S$19.  A S$40 saving for a short mostly undercover walk.

Good information. On our visits to Singapore, we were given information on the ship where to get taxis. I am trying to remember - there were different coloured taxis that charged different rates. I seem to remember that the red taxis were the more expensive ones, but I am not sure. Anyway, the prices are very reasonable. The Destination Lecturer on your ship will be able to advise you if someone here doesn't come up with more information on the different taxi companies.

2 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

The white limos are probably paying a commission to the Port Authority, hence the higher price.

It is not uncommon for a particular taxi company to have exclusivity at airports, railway stations and cruise terminals. We were in Washington DC some years ago and there was an exclusivity agreement for one taxi company into the city. Other taxis could take passengers to the airport but charged the same flat rate

13 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

It is not uncommon for a particular taxi company to have exclusivity at airports, railway stations and cruise terminals. We were in Washington DC some years ago and there was an exclusivity agreement for one taxi company into the city. Other taxis could take passengers to the airport but charged the same flat rate

Correct.  Re Singapore next year, probably use the MTR  for Airport and Marina Cruise Terminal movements, our hotel is right at an MTR Station.

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Ha Les - happy new year - but another seniors moment.

In Singapore it is -  MRT - Mass Rapid Transport.

Just so you don't get comfused in the heat & humidity!

Cheers old son, seniors moment, too much Chardy.  MRT it is.  Have stopped in Singa for a few days a couple of times to and from Europe, but never been on the MRT.  Got plenty of time to do that this time, 10 days between Majestic and Sapphire.:classic_ohmy:

Edited by NSWP

That was pretty dear for a Taxi from Cruise terminal to hotel. I paid $11 & was the other side of Clarkes Quay's. Only paid $24 to get taxi all the way out to the Zoo from hotel. I was there 6 months ago in June..

Rip-off with those Limo's, becareful & Enjoy..

Edited by Hunter69

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, nicksb said:

Use Grab (similar to Uber). Cheap and easy to use.

Thanks for the information. I’ve downloaded the app. Any idea as to how their prices compair to UBER?

With UBER they have my CC on file. How does that work with Grab? When I downloaded the app I didn’t see anyway to enter payment. 

I just found out how to add my CC info on their app. 

Thanks!

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

1 minute ago, nicksb said:

They’re cheaper than Uber is in Australia and you can choose a taxi or private car. To add a payment method click on your profile picture (top left corner) then “Grab Pay”.

Any idea if they are in Hong Kong?

Thanks!

Tom😀

18 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Thanks!

Tom😀

Grab is Singapore based. Last I heard they were considering Hong Kong, but there are regulatory issues there that have also impacted Uber.

38 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Thanks!

Tom😀

Just Southeast Asia:  Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam

10 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Grab is Singapore based. Last I heard they were considering Hong Kong, but there are regulatory issues there that have also impacted Uber.

According to the Uber web site they’re in Hong Kong. I was planning to use them in Hong Kong so will I have any issues?

I’m planning to use them from the Cruise Terminal to my Hotel in Hong Kong so I hope I won’t have any issues. 

Thanks!

Tom😎

Edited by trbarton

8 hours ago, trbarton said:

According to the Uber web site they’re in Hong Kong. I was planning to use them in Hong Kong so will I have any issues?

I’m planning to use them from the Cruise Terminal to my Hotel in Hong Kong so I hope I won’t have any issues. 

Thanks!

Tom😎

Uber is in Hong Kong and has been for some time, but there have been crackdowns and a lot of drivers aren't permitted to operate (but do). It's a fluid situation as to driver availability, as they carry the risk.