Snorkeling in CALM waters in Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

Hello, everyone!  Happy New Year!

We are sailing on Carnival Paradise in May 2019.  I have a petite 12-year-old daughter who was unhappy with her first attempt at snorkeling.  The water was too rough/choppy.  She really wanted to snorkel, but it was just too much.  It was exhausting and scary to her.  

The only truly calm snorkeling we have found was on a Disney cruise.  THAT water was clear and calm and one could literally just float away.  It was great!  But that was October and this will be May and that was off of Disney's private island.  I realize they are not the same.

So we're headed to Grand Cayman and Cozumel.  I keep reading reviews that the water was "choppy" for snorkeling.  Is there a shore excursion offered that is in a place with calm waters?  Has anyone had an experience they can recommend?

Thank you in advance!

18 minutes ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

So we're headed to Grand Cayman and Cozumel.  I keep reading reviews that the water was "choppy" for snorkeling.  Is there a shore excursion offered that is in a place with calm waters?

We’ve snorkeled both in Cozumel (multiple times) and Grand Cayman at different times of the year. In Cozumel, one time it was blissfully calm and another time it was very choppy. Our snorkeling experience in Grand Cayman (aboard Disney Fantasy) was initially questionable. The morning snorkeling tours were canceled due to stormy weather, but skies cleared by the time we went snorkeling in the afternoon. Still, the seas  were so choppy at the pier that we feared for our safety just getting on the boat. But once on the boat, it was rather calm as we sailed to our snorkeling spot (the Cali) and we had one of the absolute best snorkeling experiences we’ve ever had. 

On that same cruise, snorkeling as well as other water activities at Castaway Cay were canceled due to rough seas and strong winds. So moral of the story is that there’s no clear pattern when it comes to weather, even traveling during the same time of year to the same destination. Sometimes it’s great, sometimes it’s bad enough that excursions need to be canceled. 

As a side note, Grand Cayman is notorious for canceled stops. Since they don’t have an actual pier and you need to tender ashore, visits to this port of call can be canceled with more frequency if it’s determined that conditions are not safe for tendering. We’ve had our stop in Grand Cayman canceled one time (on a beautiful, clear skies day but with strong winds), another time we tendered to a different location (Spot’s Bay), and the third time we finally docked off Georgetown (which ironically was on a rainy and particularly crummy day). 

Edited by Tapi

In Cozumel I would opt for shore snorkeling at Money Bar beach club.  Water is shallow there, and there will be some fish and a little coral. Or do a snorkeling excursion to Chankanaab park where they have a lagoon area for snorkeling.  Shallow and some fish are guaranteed.   Its not the best snorkeling in the world but will probably give her a great experience and get her more comfortable with it. 

If the weather has windy conditions, water will be choppy anywhere.  Keep that in mind...wind = choppy.

Grand Cayman there are lots of snorkel boats that go out, and I would try one of those.  Again, if its windy it will be choppy.  

Both destinations have really clear water, so she should enjoy as long as weather cooperates.

In Grand Cayman , we use Captain Marvin's. He goes out a little bit & we go to a private island & have lunch. The group is great & not tons of people on the excursion like the cruise ships. It is amazing! They even got us our own conch shell, made ceviche out of it & then gave us the conch to take home! They have an amazing tour!

Edited by Ajrhatlady

• 1 month later...

We just got back from snorkeling in Cozumel with our 5 year old last week. We took him last year on a local boat that went to three spots just off the shore, and the snorkeling was great. This time we walked down the road to Tikila bar where you can head out right from the shore, and it was really good. Not as great as off the boat but given it was nearly free (they are happy to let you use their facilities, just buy some food and drinks at the restaurant), it was well worth it. They also rent gear and have guides if you need it. There were small waves coming in at the stairs where you get in, but they calm down once you swim out just a bit. I have heard Money Bar is really great as well, it would just require a taxi. Make sure you figure out which pier you come in to in Cozumel as the snorkeling is walkable from the southern pier, but I don't know of any around the northern (downtown) pier. We've brought snorkels to each port on all five of our cruises and Cozumel is easily the most impressive spot we've been to, so I'd recommend doing it there.

We also snorkeled in Georgetown before we had a kid and found all the water there to be very calm. There are/were some artificial reefs in front of the Mariott (I think) that offered some cool sights. Take a cab or city bus to Seven Mile beach. This is a good option as the water is really calm and if snorkeling isn't working out, the gorgeous beach is there to entertain the family. There is also a shipwreck between where your ship will anchor and the shore that was really cool to see. There is a dive shop to the left of the pier that will let you go out, the wreck is just out maybe 50 feet from their dock. 

The choppiness always depends on the weather. One place that seems to be well protected and always calm on Cozumel is at Chankanaab. The cove there is protected and the currents are minimal. You can take a ship tour there or visit on your own. The snorkeling is the same either way.