I Remember when RCL ............

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Nobody ever complains about the many ways cruising has dramatically improved over the years while still providing an incredible vacation value for the dollar!

Who complains about improvements? (or perceived ones?)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Didn't they also changed to a special one buffet a week and it comprised of fresh fruits, cakes, etc.

I know they at some point changed to one late buffet per week, poolside usually, but I honestly can't remember what was offered.

1 minute ago, voyager70 said:

I know they at some point changed to one late buffet per week, poolside usually, but I honestly can't remember what was offered.

I'm struggling to remember when the last pool side midnight buffet I saw was.  It might have been 2012 on Jewel?  That was well attended, not a lot of waste.  Sometime after that, they had one, and the CD said,  if it rains it will be moved into the WJ.  It rained, I went to the WJ, it was closed up tight.

50 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Ps.  Still have some Shipshape t-shirts.:classic_biggrin::classic_rolleyes:

DD still has a gym towel and a water bottle that she got for shipshape dollars on a TA to Brazil on Splendour. 

Also on Splendour, but on our very first cruise, soda was free at dinner in the MDR.

And what were those little bread rolls called? Tasty bites, or something like that? 

Edited by FionaMG
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BillOh said:

I'm struggling to remember when the last pool side midnight buffet I saw was.  It might have been 2012 on Jewel?  That was well attended, not a lot of waste.  Sometime after that, they had one, and the CD said,  if it rains it will be moved into the WJ.  It rained, I went to the WJ, it was closed up tight.

2012 sounds about right.  I also remember more recently having a lunch time/afternoon poolside buffet on a sea day, usually toward the end of the cruise.  That was always well attended.

Actually, maybe not a full buffet but the chefs would prepare a nice barbeque or such with all the "fixings" available.

I remember the streamers off the ship when we departed.  I can't imagine that now.

I remember thinking the Monarch and Majesty were the biggest ship EVER and amazing on the inside.  They were brand new.

I too remember the horse racing bets at the pool deck, though I never paid attention to it.  

I remember the entertainment being boring.  A bunch of ladies in feathers dancing around (I was a teenager; I may have overlooked some of the entertainment).  

I remember smoking in the bar.  (don't miss that)

I remember having to buy drinks individually (no package then) and having them served to me by 20 something year olds (guests, not employees) since I was too young to drink.  

I remember not having a teen room to go to, so I went to the bars instead.  

I remember formal night feeling very fancy.  

I remember thinking it was the coolest thing to have servers sing Hot Hot Hot in the dining room.  I still have pictures of the event.  

I remember loving cruising as a teenager which has led me to stay with RC as an adult cruiser.  There was no question which line I would be taking my kids on once we started cruising.   I am sure there are several other great cruise lines out there, but I do love Royal Caribbean. We had so much fun as teenagers, which is why I have a hard time taking my kids to other places and tend to default to Royal.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

2012 sounds about right.  I also remember more recently having a lunch time/afternoon poolside buffet on a sea day, usually toward the end of the cruise.  That was always well attended.

Actually, maybe not a full buffet but the chefs would prepare a nice barbeque or such with all the "fixings" available.

The pool side lunch buffet was Chef's preparing Paella in a giant pot/wok.  They also had ice carvings by the poolside.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaiseyM said:

I remember having to buy drinks individually (no package then) and having them served to me by 20 something year olds (guests, not employees) since I was too young to drive.

I remember thinking it was the coolest thing to have servers sing Hot Hot Hot in the dining room.  I still have pictures of the event..

Drinks were much cheaper by today's standards.

Not only Hot, Hot, but also Baked Alaska parade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nelblu said:

The pool side lunch buffet was Chef's preparing Paella in a giant pot/wok.  They also had ice carvings by the poolside.

Oh yes the Paella, that was great.  I do remember them doing barbeque/grilling as well.  Haven't seen any of this for a while now and probably won't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, voyager70 said:

Oh yes the Paella, that was great.  I do remember them doing barbeque/grilling as well.  Haven't seen any of this for a while now and probably won't.

Both on the Brilliance OTS 12 nite Mediterranean cruise a couple of years ago.

26 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

THe Midmight buffets were only 7 night or longer cruises I think.  But since you mentioned the afternoon pool side sea day buffets, they had one in 2016 on Majesty and it was wonderful.  That particular one ranked up there as one of my best cruise meals ever!  (disclaimer, I do review under the moniker - Blue Collar Diamond so my tastes are definitely not 5 star 🙂 )

Edited by BillOh
typed too fast trying to hide my posts at work.

Just now, nelblu said:

Beg to differ.  Agree pricing is lesser and getting more especially in entertainment, activities, etc.

True as well.  For me, there are some things better today vs 20 years ago (ships, entertainment, dining options) but some worse (food quality, niclkle and diming, excessive drinking, etc.). But I will continue cruising as long as I am able to.  Still my favorite way to travel.

4 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Not being nickled and dimed to death

BUT a cruise was way more expensive dollar for dollar 30+ yrs ago then is today, not even counting inflation Was almost $4000 base price for my first cruise in a tiny port hole deck 2 cabin. Use to take my kids to Disney for week and was half what cruise was. Now it's the opposite... Get your point but last yr did 80nites on Royal and except for my Gratuities spent nothing on board. Though do miss days when soda pop was free with the meals, I just carry on 12 bottles of Mt Dew

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

BUT a cruise was way more expensive dollar for dollar 30+ yrs ago then is today, not even counting inflation Was almost $4000 for my first cruise in a tiny port hole cabin on deck 2. Use to take my kids to Disney for week and was half what cruise was. Now it's the opposite...

True, it's a trade-off.