Puerto Chacabuco, Chile independent excursions

highlands1234

I often take public transit or ubers to get to where I want to go on port stops. But Puerto Chacabuco looks like a very small out in the middle of no where kind of port stop. I was just wondering if anyone knew whether taxis, buses or ubers are available at the port? I am leaning towards doing a excursion through the cruise line as I have read post on trip advisor where people got stuck at the port because they thought they could do their own independent excursion. 

Thanks

Definitely no Ubers.  I don't recall any taxis, but there could have been some, although I can't imagine there being enough normal demand in the area to support a taxi service.  Mostly tour buses.   Chacabuco really is about as pathetic a port as you'll find anywhere.  You definitely don't want to plan on exploring the port itself.

If you've taken public transport at other places, then this place is no different.  Look at other threads in the South America forum for specifics on how to do it, but it really is easy to catch what passes for a local bus right at the port and connect to a standard motor coach type bus in Puerto Aysen.  We had zero problems going out on our own to Coyhaique and back.  You'll save a ton of money and see the exact same sights as the tour excursions.  Other than pretty scenery, there isn't much for the excursions to take you to.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just been there - there is little to do other than pick up the local bus to Puerto Aysen.  We did a cruise line excursion (Azamara) where we visited local farms, township, beekeepers and went to  community hall for an amazing spread of food and the locals sold crafts at stupidly low prices.  I therefore would not discount a ships excursion in the port, but in any event, the locals haven't quite cottoned onto making an income out of the tourists.  This means infrastructure is limited but prices and experiences are authentic

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like going to Coyhaique  and have done so, several times,  independently via the 2 available public buses.    In Coyhaique  cruise ship excursion people will be dropped at the square and they usually stay there.  :)

I got a map from the the bus station and made my own walking tour.   I especially found the cemetery very interesting and gave me a look at cultural trends.  Interesting artwork etc.   Was there twice last season.  

Be very mindful  of your times  and be conservative in your plans.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 11:10 PM, roberts2005 said:

Be warned. Just back from here.  There is major construction on the road to Coyhaique and traffic is one way only. Meaning you sit for 15 minutes or more waiting for traffic to change direction.  

Thanks for the heads up Roberts2000, we are calling in on Chacabuco next month.  Our time is quite tight so may have to rethink our plans.