Hotel used in Santiago?

petlover

A one night pre-cruise  hotel is provided in Santiago before our Silver Cloud Antarctica cruise. My paperwork gives the name of hotel as  "Simply Hotel" but I can't find a hotel in Santiago with this name. I must be missing something here.

Anyone know what hotel SS uses in Santiago ? Thank you.

Edited by petlover
found my answer, please delete post

We are on the Cloud in Antarctica right now. We were at the Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center in Ushuaia. They hosted an open bar and small bites reception the evening of arrival, also Continental breakfast the wee hours of the next morning so that we could leave for the airport at 3:30 am for the LATAM Charter flight to Ushuaia. When we arrived there, it was a bus ride around town to see the sights, then lunch (lamb) at a local restaurant. We then boarded the ship after lunch.

We are spending tonight at Deception Island inside the caldera, landings again tomorrow morning for more hiking, then leaving at 2pm to arrive back a day early in Ushuaia (more favorable weather in Drake Passage than waiting for a later departure). It was rocking and rolling a bit coming over here.

We were broken into 6 zodiac groups,  each taking turns going first (not always a good thing because the earliest landings started at 7am. 

1 hour ago, cflutist said:

We are on the Cloud in Antarctica right now. We were at the Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center in Ushuaia. They hosted an open bar and small bites reception the evening of arrival, also Continental breakfast the wee hours of the next morning so that we could leave for the airport at 3:30 am for the LATAM Charter flight to Ushuaia. When we arrived there, it was a bus ride around town to see the sights, then lunch (lamb) at a local restaurant. We then boarded the ship after lunch.

We are spending tonight at Deception Island inside the caldera, landings again tomorrow morning for more hiking, then leaving at 2pm to arrive back a day early in Ushuaia (more favorable weather in Drake Passage than waiting for a later departure). It was rocking and rolling a bit coming over here.

We were broken into 6 zodiac groups,  each taking turns going first (not always a good thing because the earliest landings started at 7am. 

Hi Cflutist

I think you meant the hotel is in Santino, Chile. 

Thanks for the heads up. Question. Did the LATAM charter flight check weights on check-in and carry on? Also is there a good selection of boots to borrow? My wife will need to borrow some in three weeks. 

They did not check weights on the Charter flight to Ushaiua. 

We brought our own boots so I can't comment on the onboard boot selection. I did see a young girl in the zodiac who was wearing boots that were too large for her, but she was a child, not an adult.

On 1/1/2019 at 4:02 PM, petlover said:

never mind...trying to delete this post. I found out it's a Hyatt property. Sorry.

I believe it's the same we stayed -- Hyatt in Santiago is beautiful.   You'll be happy.

Thanks dusababy. That's good to hear.

Carefreecruise, did Antarctica before on the Silver Explorer and there were loads of boots so using theirs should not be any problem, it wasn't for us. I think their boot collection continues to grow as some who brought their own, leave them so they don't have to lug them home.

Does anyone know if the charter flight from Quito to Ushaiua. is a non-stop ? I hope so.

Our" once in a lifetime" Antarctica and South Georgia trip a few years ago was so fantastic, we're repeating again January 4, 2020 on the Silver Cloud.

Edited by petlover
left off a question

1 hour ago, petlover said:

Carefreecruise, did Antarctica before on the Silver Explorer and there were loads of boots so using theirs should not be any problem, it wasn't for us. I think their boot collection continues to grow as some who brought their own, leave them so they don't have to lug them home.

Does anyone know if the charter flight from Quito to Ushaiua. is a non-stop ? I hope so.

Our" once in a lifetime" Antarctica and South Georgia trip a few years ago was so fantastic, we're repeating again January 4, 2020 on the Silver Cloud.

Thanks, I see you are a year out. FYI: currently Silversea is using the Santiago Sheraton & Convention Center. I know they call it something else.on the website. We just had to double check with Silversea because we are arriving a few day early to visit some friends.  

2 hours ago, petlover said:

Petlover, we will see you there! Chris's Birthday is the 10th so we will celebrate. Great itinerary! 

With a group of 6 on that voyage. The others aren't on CC. But RachelG and Stumblefoot are on board too. Stop by the roll call and say hi. 

12 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Petlover, we will see you there! Chris's Birthday is the 10th so we will celebrate. Great itinerary! 

With a group of 6 on that voyage. The others aren't on CC. But RachelG and Stumblefoot are on board too. Stop by the roll call and say hi. 

We have cruised with Rachel & George previously so always look forward to having them onboard.(we have same TA).  Chris will certainly have a great birthday on this trip.

Interesting about using Santiago Sheraton & Convention Center now, who knows where they'll stash us a year from now but I'm sure it will be nice.

I'm not finding our roll call...link please.

Edited by petlover
additional comment

When I originally booked (18 months ago) my Silver Cloud, 'Cape to Cape' (March 7, 2019) they told me the Sheraton San Cristobal Tower - i.e. the 'luxury' tower literally adjacent/attached to the 'regular' Santiago Sheraton Hotel & Convention Center.

Now, I can't find that reference in my saved Cruise Confirmation(s); and, 'My Silversea' indicates the "Santiago Sheraton Hotel & Convention Center". I wonder if they've 'cheapened out' and stopped booking us in the 'San Cristobal Tower'?

22 hours ago, cflutist said:

...we could leave for the airport at 3:30 am for the LATAM Charter flight to Ushuaia.

cflutist,

Is it a true charter flight whereby the only passengers on their aircraft are SilverSea customers?  I would have thought they just used scheduled airline service.  Since LATAM doesn't offer a scheduled direct flight (they route Ushuaia through Buenos Aires) I'm hoping your brutally early 3:30a departure means its a true charter flight.

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

JP,

It looks like Cruise Critic has removed all Silver Cloud roll calls and Meet & Mingles.  I can still access our Meet & Mingle details and it's showing Wes and Ida are signed up, but know they won't be joining us.  I've sent a note to the Admin seeing if they will reinstate the Cloud for us.

1 hour ago, petlover said:

We have cruised with Rachel & George previously so always look forward to having them onboard.(we have same TA).  Chris will certainly have a great birthday on this trip.

Interesting about using Santiago Sheraton & Convention Center now, who knows where they'll stash us a year from now but I'm sure it will be nice.

I'm not finding our roll call...link please.

Petlover,

We're looking forward to our first voyage with Rachel & George as we've heard such wonderful things about them both, as well as JP & Chris.  It's exciting to think we're only 1-year away from the adventure.

Since you and Rachel share the same TA, do you know if SS requires all passengers to overnight in Santiago?  Or, does SS also provide charter flight options out of Buenos Aires as well?

JP... what have you and Chris heard as to which departure cities we can use to reach Ushuaia?  We're anxious to start planning our early arrival.  I assume all flights are on the actual day of embarkation/disembarkation.

Edited by Stumblefoot

12 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Oops, sorry. It is not an official roll call.

we should start one.

JP,

When I navigate to "Find Your Silversea Cruise Roll Call", Silver Cloud isn't listed in the drop down menu.  So, there isn't an option to start one from what I can tell.

• Like 1

We are on the February 25, 2019 Silver Cloud Antarctica cruise and started a roll call but it does it does not show up.  Our Silversea itinerary shows we are at the Sheraton.  Not sure about the different towers.  We also booked a three night pre cruise stay at the same hotel on the Marriot site.  Hope they let us stay in the same room for the Silversea night.

1 hour ago, SJS-TX said:

Our Silversea itinerary shows we are at the Sheraton.  Not sure about the different towers.  We also booked a three night pre cruise stay at the same hotel on the Marriot site.  Hope they let us stay in the same room for the Silversea night.

How could you stay in the same room at two different hotels?

Sheraton is a Starwood property and now can be booked through Marriott, I'd guess? I know my Sheraton reservation in Mendoza next week shows up under my Marriott account now. Hard to keep the mergers straight these days! 

Edited by jpalbny

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Is it a true charter flight whereby the only passengers on their aircraft are SilverSea customers?

I was on the Cloud a few weeks ago.  Yes, it is a true charter flight, the only people on it will be those going on the cruise (plus one or two reps from the Ground handler Silversea uses).  Non-stop A321, so nearly every seat will be occupied.

5 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Since you and Rachel share the same TA, do you know if SS requires all passengers to overnight in Santiago?  Or, does SS also provide charter flight options out of Buenos Aires as well?

We were only given the option of Santiago.  Reading the fine print it sounds like Explorer sailings leave out of Buenos Aires, but I don't know that for sure.

17 hours ago, BOB999 said:

I was on the Cloud a few weeks ago.  Yes, it is a true charter flight, the only people on it will be those going on the cruise (plus one or two reps from the Ground handler Silversea uses).  Non-stop A321, so nearly every seat will be occupied.

Thanks Bob!  Glad to know it's a true charter.  

Is it true departure times are crazy early like 3:30a?  If so, that is something I don't understand as it seems so unnecessary to depart so early for a 3-1/2 hour flight when the suites aren't available for occupancy until 2:00p.  I know I would much prefer a 9:00a departure time.

Yes it is a true Charter flight with a separate checkin counter at the airport just for SS pax. They weighed our checkin bags, but not our carryons.

We left the hotel at 0330 for a 0650 flight that boarded at 0605 am (looking at our boarding pass right now).

We arrived in Ushaiua,  had a bus tour around the city, then SS fed us lunch at a local restaurant.  Back on the bus to the pier (even though walking distance from the restaurant). Boarded the Cloud at about 1330, suites were ready on deck 7, don't know about decks 4 through 6.

At Ushaiua airport returning to Santiago.

This time LATAM was weighing carryon bags (18 lbs max).

I saw agents putting luggage tags on carryon bags belonging to passengers ahead of us in line.

Off the ship at 0800, checked bags taken from the ship and loaded directly on the plane.

Same seat assignments as when we flew down here. Boarding at 1010.

Checkin A-K on the left, and L-Z on the right.

Fantastic cruise with beautiful weather.

Thank you very much cflutist for the flight / luggage info.  Hope you had a safe flight home.

Since the majority of flights to the U.S. don't depart until late at night, did SS provide a lounge or any activity/tours upon your return to Santiago?  A 6-8 hour layover doesn't sound very enticing.  

No, the wait in line for AA to open for bad dropoff didn't occur until 1830.

So most of stood in line for two hours waiting for them to open.

No SS tours or lounge offered.

Also AA decided to check all packs on the jetway (after Security screening)  and made all of us dump our water.

Several pax were upset since they juat purchased water post security.

Oh, and the LATAM flight landed out on the tarmac, we had to walk down portable stairs to catch buses to the terminal. Baggage claim wasn't ready for us, so we stood outside for about 20 minutes before they would open the door for us. LATAM did not transfer luggage.

LATAM entertainment is an app you load on your phone/tablet to watch on your device while onboard.

Correct Jpalny we booked the Sheraton on the Marriot web site.  Just got our flight info for the February 25th cruise. We were told to book a late flight back to the states and will now have a very long layover.  Oh well we are in business class so we should be able to find a lounge before the flights.  Does anyone have recommendations for pre cruise activity in Santiago?