Hotel used in Santiago?

petlover

15 hours ago, SJS-TX said:

Does anyone have recommendations for pre cruise activity in Santiago?

We thoroughly enjoyed the Museo de la Memoria y los Derechos Humanos while in Santiago.  For anyone with a passing interest of the dictatorial period of Pinochet (1973 - 1990), the museum does an excellent job drawing attention to the human rights violations committed by the Chilean state.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:46 PM, cflutist said:

No, the wait in line for AA to open for bad dropoff didn't occur until 1830.

So most of stood in line for two hours waiting for them to open.

Oh, and the LATAM flight landed out on the tarmac, we had to walk down portable stairs to catch buses to the terminal. Baggage claim wasn't ready for us, so we stood outside for about 20 minutes before they would open the door for us. LATAM did not transfer luggage.

Brutal!  Actually, the luggage transfer blame lies at the feet of AA rather than LATAM as AA stopped interlining a couple of years ago.  Just one in a long line of stupid customer decisions made by the merry band of former USAir executives who now run AA.  What is exceptionally frustrating is that LATAM is a OneWorld carrier and one that AA is trying to establish a joint venture with today.

Thanks for letting me know about the AA check-in too.  I think we'll set up a private tour with a guide we've used previously rather than sit on the floor awaiting AA's arrival.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:46 AM, cflutist said:

Also AA decided to check all packs on the jetway (after Security screening)  and made all of us dump our water.

Several pax were upset since they juat purchased water post security.

Oh, and the LATAM flight landed out on the tarmac, we had to walk down portable stairs to catch buses to the terminal. Baggage claim wasn't ready for us, so we stood outside for about 20 minutes before they would open the door for us. LATAM did not transfer luggage.

LATAM entertainment is an app you load on your phone/tablet to watch on your device while onboard.

Those are just a couple of the things airlines do that have led me to want to: torture with red-hot irons, almost drown, flay alive, draw and quarter, burn & bury the remains... and salt the earth of the graves of anyone connected with an airline.

Without a word of explanation or apology (after months of silence and 'no response'), LATAM gave back the $254.32 they stole from me... but, only after I initiated 'Charge Back' procedures through my bank on the VISA card I used to purchase a ticket on LATAM's website (Canada). Bastards!

Edited by Bill B
  • Haha 1

I got my 'ticket' for the March 7, 2019, Silver Cloud, 'Cape to Cape' (Ushuaia to Capetown). It seems they are NOT using the San Cristobal Tower anymore (despite what is says in an earlier 'Confirmation'). A 'Club Room' at the Sheraton is pretty good though (over USD $500/night to book myself)... so I won't complain. I'll be checking-in around 7:00 pm and checking-out around 3:00 am - a whole 8 hrs. - just enough for: a shower, some dinner and a nap.

"HOTEL ARRANGEMENTS

MR Bill B 

PRE-CRUISE HOTEL: SHERATON SANTIAGO HOTEL        ROOM TYPE: CLUB ROOM

CHECK-IN DATE: 06/03/2019                                                CHECK-OUT DATE: 07/03/2019

ADDRESS: AVENIDA SANTA MARIA 1742, SANTIAGO

TELEPHONE: 56 2 2233 5000"

Now, I've written my TA to ask what's happened to my included (in an earlier Confirmation) transfer from SCL to the Sheraton on March. 6 - there's no mention of it. 

I've heard back from my TA ... after writing a second time and attaching the original 'Cruise Confirmation' - save everything - from 18 months ago showing an included transfer from SCL to the Sheraton on Mar. 6). TWO transfers (I only need one :classic_rolleyes:) from SCL to the Sheraton Santiago on Mar. 6 have been added to my Cruise Ticket. There was a cost - $180 :classic_blink: (it must be a solid gold Bentley ) - 'covered' by Silversea. :classic_biggrin:

4 minutes ago, Bill B said:

I've heard back from my TA). TWO transfers (I only need one :classic_rolleyes:) from SCL to the Sheraton Santiago on Mar. 6 have been added to my Cruise Ticket. There was a cost - $180 :classic_blink: (it must be a solid gold Bentley ) - 'covered' by Silversea. :classic_biggrin:

It will most likely be a bus with the others being picked up, no Bentley. We will plan on not using our hotel transfer and just book a car on our own. Good luck... 

23 minutes ago, carefreecruise said:

It will most likely be a bus with the others being picked up, no Bentley. We will plan on not using our hotel transfer and just book a car on our own. Good luck... 

I sincerely doubt anyone else on the cruise will be flying into Santiago (from Lima) on the same flight as me.

There is a spectacular Enthnographic Museum off the main Plaza in Santiago. I remember there being a working relationship with The Getty Museum. The exhibition design makes the museum one of the most beautiful and intriguing museums I have ever visited. My late husband was very knowledgeable about  Precolumbian artifacts and he almost swooned over the collections. You can take a public bus to the Plaza which is worth a visit as well. 

53 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

When I first read this I thought why in the world did SS make Bill's reservation for June?  😄

I want to introduce the death penalty for writing date with all numbers. :classic_dry:

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

The arrangements by SS for travel arrangements to Antarctica cruise do sound unpleasant. I’m thinking of booking our own travel arrangements for the cruise on January 2020. - leaving a few days earlier due to potential bad weather given it’s winter in the USA- perhaps spending night in BA on way down and night in Ushuaia before cruise and home from Ushuaia after cruise. For all the money I am spending on this cruise- I don’t want to be more uncomfortable than necessary- and arriving in Ushuaia early gives the opportunity to look around there prior to cruise. Have others done this without problems?

Hi Kathy16

That was our original plan until we learned the charter flight from Santiago was included with the cruise.  Now we are spending a few days before the cruise in Santiago and using the charter.  Will try to let you know how it all works out.    We were originally told the flight back to the states had to be after 10 pm. Now it appears we could have gotten an earlier flight.  Our cruise is just a few weeks away so hopefully will be able to tell you how it all works out!

Thanks- I would appreciate the info. I did see that SS offers a credit if the “included “ flights apparently don’t work out. I would need to pay a deviation fee of at least $150 pp, if I wanted to change the “included “ flights to a day earlier and/or change from NYC to my home airport 

I did look into making my own flight reservations for my trip next year using examples from this years flight schedule- and it looks like it would be via BA not Santiago with an airport change in BA which would be an excuse for 1 night stay in BA before flying to Ushuaia.

The “free” air, hotel, charter, transfers are apparently being offered as included with the cruise reservations 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 7:51 AM, Bill B said:

I got my 'ticket' for the March 7, 2019, Silver Cloud, 'Cape to Cape' (Ushuaia to Capetown). It seems they are NOT using the San Cristobal Tower anymore (despite what is says in an earlier 'Confirmation'). A 'Club Room' at the Sheraton is pretty good though (over USD $500/night to book myself)... so I won't complain. I'll be checking-in around 7:00 pm and checking-out around 3:00 am - a whole 8 hrs. - just enough for: a shower, some dinner and a nap.

"HOTEL ARRANGEMENTS

MR Bill B 

PRE-CRUISE HOTEL: SHERATON SANTIAGO HOTEL        ROOM TYPE: CLUB ROOM

CHECK-IN DATE: 06/03/2019                                                CHECK-OUT DATE: 07/03/2019

ADDRESS: AVENIDA SANTA MARIA 1742, SANTIAGO

TELEPHONE: 56 2 2233 5000"

I'm going to be interested in reading your thoughts on the Sheraton hotel.  After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor from Silversea guests, I'm not looking forward to staying there. 

We're going to spend the New Year's holiday in Buenos Aires and plan to arrive in Santiago 2-days early in order to introduce Silver Princess to the city.  So, I've booked an additional night at the Sheraton and hope they can keep us in the same room both nights so that we don't have to schlep our bags anymore than we have too.  But, after reading the reviews, I'm tempted to forgo the stay at the Sheraton all together and move to the Renaissance which has always treated me well.  I also wouldn't mind seeing the renovations done to the Ritz in 2017.

I'm catching up on this thread....Am I understanding correctly that on the day we return back to Santiago we'll be dropped off at the airport to hang out for MANY hours waiting for a 10:55pm Lantam return flight (that's the only non-stop to LAX) ?? 

Edited by petlover

I’m so glad that The Ritz was mentioned. We stayed there four different times and LOVED it. One time we arrived at midnight from a delayed flight from Lima. Sandwiches, sweets and a very good bottle of wine, plus an upgrade to the club floor were waiting for us along with a personal note from the manager. It’s a small, intimate hotel, in a great location. We loved it and would never have wanted to stay any place else in Santiago. This was for us a no glitz Ritz...just perfect.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, petlover said:

...Am I understanding correctly that on the day we return back to Santiago we'll be dropped off at the airport to hang out for MANY hours waiting for a 10:55pm Lantam return flight (that's the only non-stop to LAX)?? 

Yes.

The good thing though about flying LATAM to LAX is that you should be able to check your luggage all the way through and not have to reclaim in Santiago like several passengers will have to do and then wait for hours before their airline opens for check-in.

We literally just booked our LATAM flight from SCL to MIA yesterday in order to connect to AA for our return to Colorado.  I didn't even know LATAM flew to LAX, so I'm going to have to check on availability now because we had to redeem about 100% more AA miles than normal in order to fly on the nonstop MIA-DEN.

Just checked on LATAM to LAX as it would be our preferred option, but the only business class seats available for reward miles is the 9:05 am flight.  Obviously, we won't be able to catch that flight.  The following day, only economy seats are available, so we'll stick with our flight to Miami.

Stumblefoot,

We may run into the same problem. We're in Biz Class using SS. We'll pay the $150. deviation due to wanting a non-stop plus we want to arrive a day early to get some rest due to this ridiculous charter flight in the wee hours from SCL to Ushuaia.  Unfortunately, it's too early to request our flight with SS.

I still don't get why a private charter with ALL Cloud passengers has to leave in the middle of the night (my version of middle of the night)  and can't leave more like 9:00am ? 

The flight is a turn around and returns the passengers departing the cruise back to Santiago.  If it left at 9 the returning passengers could not leave until late afternoon making it difficult catching a departing flight in Santiago.

54 minutes ago, petlover said:

I still don't get why a private charter with ALL Cloud passengers has to leave in the middle of the night (my version of middle of the night)  and can't leave more like 9:00am ? 

Petlover,

I'm with you.  I have a feeling that it's primarily due to the fact that while it's a private charter, the flight is operated by a commercial airline.  So, LATAM is able to use the aircraft in the afternoon and evening in their South American route network.

28 minutes ago, SJS-TX said:

The flight is a turn around and returns the passengers departing the cruise back to Santiago.  If it left at 9 the returning passengers could not leave until late afternoon making it difficult catching a departing flight in Santiago.

You very well may be right, but I believe the only passengers who have non-stop afternoon flight options are Europeans and even then, I'm not sure if they can catch those flights as Madrid departs @ 1:35p while Paris is @ 3:45p and London is @ 4:30p.

The reasons given do make sense. Thanks guys.

With that said, considering the very very early departure time of the charter from SLC, I think SS should have included TWO nights hotel pre-cruise. We went to the Galapagos Islands on The Silver Galapagos about 7 weeks ago (January) and SS cruise fare included 2 nights pre-cruise in Quito.  It was very much appreciated.

Edited by petlover
  • Like 1