Hotel used in Santiago?

petlover

I'm currently sitting in my 'Club Room' at the Sheraton Santiago (San Cristobal Tower). My transfer to the airport (SCL for USH and the Cloud) leaves at 03:45 (in about 5 hrs)... I don't think I'll sleep tonight.

If you have any questions, I'll try and answer.

thanks Bill B. for confirming what I dreaded. I still think that with such an insane 3:45am transfer,  SS should provide a TWO night hotel stay as they did on our Silver Galapagos cruise.

Enjoy your cruise !

Petlover, I agree that an extra night could ease that transition. But the saving grace might be that once you get to Ushuaia, and board Silver Cloud, there's not much to do for two days while you're sailing the Drake. So hopefully that will be enough recovery time to hit the ground running in Antarctica. 

We have it even better, though. Three sea days for us, before South Georgia. I think it will be ok, though painful for a day.

Considering that Chile is 2h ahead of EST during their summer, it will be a 1:45 AM transfer for us. We probably will just stay up. But we shall see.

Only one sea day until the Falklands (don't call them that in Ushuaia... or anywhere in Argentina). :classic_dry:

Yesterday, I tried on my SS parka immediately upon entering my room, oops - "suite" - after embarkation. It fit... perfectly... but I didn't do up the zipper. After dinner tonight, I did a 'dress rehearsal' for Saunders Island tomorrow morning and found the cheap, Chinese piece of s**t has a broken zipper... after I cut of the tag.  I'm considering throwing it overboard just before we drop the pick in the morning to see how the crew responds :classic_blink: ... but, I don't want to have fly home from Stanley before I see South Georgia. 😉

2.5 hrs. with the ship's IT kid today to get my computer to be able to access the 'log in' page and access the Internet (I finally figured it out... not him). If it ain't a phone, they're 'lost'

Last night, I stacked in the hallway approx. 400 lbs. of extraneous crap from my room - 'furnishings' (chair, stool) and assortedpillows, cushions, useless electronics, 35+ bottles of Bulgari 'girl chemicals' and 150 satin-padded, wooden coat hangers among other things. It was all gone this morning. :classic_biggrin:

This afternoon, I screamed at my steward, oops - "butler" - "GO AWAY!!!" (she knocks on the door exactly 45 seconds after I enter my room, unzip and start using the head... every single time). She won't anymore.

Help!... surrounded by morons and drunks. :classic_rolleyes:

On 3/8/2019 at 11:25 AM, jpalbny said:

Petlover, I agree that an extra night could ease that transition. But the saving grace might be that once you get to Ushuaia, and board Silver Cloud, there's not much to do for two days while you're sailing the Drake. So hopefully that will be enough recovery time to hit the ground running in Antarctica. 

We have it even better, though. Three sea days for us, before South Georgia. I think it will be ok, though painful for a day.

Considering that Chile is 2h ahead of EST during their summer, it will be a 1:45 AM transfer for us. We probably will just stay up. But we shall see.

On 3/8/2019 at 11:25 AM, jpalbny said:

We're the same 3 sea days before South Georgia.  I'm on the West Coast so a 5 hour time difference for us. 🤪

On 3/8/2019 at 12:25 PM, jpalbny said:

But the saving grace might be that once you get to Ushuaia, and board Silver Cloud, there's not much to do for two days while you're sailing the Drake.

Wait.  What?  Not much to do?  Have you ever heard of private meets and mingles, testing bartender concocting skills, trivia, wine tastings, lectures, sampling of duck ragout, etc.?  I don't think we'll catch up on sleep until the Drake crossing heading back to Ushuaia. 🙂

• Haha 1

Good points, Stumblefoot! We always come back from vacation needing a serious rest. It's hard work!

I guess my comment referred to the need to get up early to catch shore excursions, etc. We won't need to do that until South Georgia, so we should have time to recover from the early transfer and flight. The rest is a piece of cake. Chris and I can drink wine half asleep with one eye closed, if necessary. Years of practice...