Changes to the Pride during dry dock?

LongHill44

40 + of us are trying to book a cruise again with Carnival but some complained the Pride looked tired, old and rusty when we were on it last year.

I know it heads into dry dock for some touch ups soon.

Does anyone know what they plan to do to the Pride, what changes or improvement while dry docked?

Thanks

All that's readily available is:

2019 (Feb 3-16) Fun Ship 2.0

all plus

• Carnival WaterWorks

I'm not sure what that means precisely, as they already had a pretty cool water slide - 

But, many of the ships are getting shore-power hookups (or at least better ones, like US Navy ships have, so they can shut down internal generators when in ports that provide shore power). They might also do some carpet, furnishings, but it doesn't indicate that. 

Several years ago when I was on the Victory, "to my surprise," they were refurbishing half the cabins while underway; going from the old pink/green decor to the Havana-Cabana decor. The smell from the glue used to put up new carpets and wall treatments was horrific. Hopefully that would all be done by the time you sail. 

I have done many cruises on Pride, and the only thing I can say is that she's now got too much topside weight with all the FunShip 2.0 and extra swimming pools additions and 'wiggles' a bit too much. 

Edited by MauiWowie57

From a Cruise Hive article dated today: 

Carnival Pride Dry Dock

Carnival Pride will be the only Spirit class ship getting some attention in 2019. The dry dock will take place from February 3 to February 16.

All the FUN 2.0 features were already added in the 2014 upgrade so for the upcoming one just expect lots of maintenance and a modern touch to public spaces.

From CruiseFever:

When cruise ships go into dry dock, they receive routine hotel maintenance (new beds etc) and cosmetic upgrades in public areas that include lighting, new carpet, tile work, and wall coverings.  Lately, cruise lines have also been adding new restaurants (Guy’s Burger Joint on Carnival), water slides, new staterooms, and giant outdoor TV screens to ships that do not have them.  Also, the dry dock gives cruise lines time to work on parts of the ships that are under the water line (azipods, propellers etc).

We actually just got back from a cruise on the Pride.  I had read some bad reviews and was a little nervous.  Honestly, we had no problems at all with anything.  Yes, you can see rust in some places, but it wasn't something I would have noticed had I not read the reviews and was looking for it.  The roof over the main pool was fixed while we were in the Bahamas and was closed all the way for the trip back.  We had a blast and with even some minor improvements it will be great.  

• Like 1

In a two week dry dock they updates are not likely to be extensive enough to fix whatever the complainers did not like.  Particularly the dated décor in the public areas of Carnival ships tends to stay more or less the same.  The rust may be taken care of but they are not going to fully renovate everything.  None of that would bother me, but probably would not consider taking the same group on the same ship if it was not a good fit for everyone last time.

When are you going?  Sunrise will be completely redone this summer and sailing out of NY, if you prefer to stick with Carnival.  Or you might consider Anthem of the Seas - I like Carnival a lot but have to admit Royal Caribbean seems to keep the ships more updated.  If you need to stick with Baltimore for your departure port, then it's maybe an easy choice - this is the ship that sails from Baltimore, it's been cleaned up a little but still basically the same ship as last time.

7 hours ago, Troopwife1 said:

We actually just got back from a cruise on the Pride.  I had read some bad reviews and was a little nervous.  Honestly, we had no problems at all with anything.  Yes, you can see rust in some places, but it wasn't something I would have noticed had I not read the reviews and was looking for it.  The roof over the main pool was fixed while we were in the Bahamas and was closed all the way for the trip back.  We had a blast and with even some minor improvements it will be great.  

Wow. They just fixed the roof? It was broken when we were on her in October and I have no idea how long it as broken before we boarded. :classic_sad:

Other than cosmetic stuff, the 4K cabins are having the French doors replaced with windows. Hopefully while the ship is out of the water, they will be able to pinpoint the source causing the excessive vibration aft and be able to correct it. :classic_cool:

12 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Hopefully while the ship is out of the water, they will be able to pinpoint the source causing the excessive vibration aft and be able to correct it. :classic_cool:

I wonder if that's something about the Spirit-class in general, The Miracle had excessive aft vibration as well.

Edited by schazzy

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

In a two week dry dock they updates are not likely to be extensive enough to fix whatever the complainers did not like.  Particularly the dated décor in the public areas of Carnival ships tends to stay more or less the same.  The rust may be taken care of but they are not going to fully renovate everything.  None of that would bother me, but probably would not consider taking the same group on the same ship if it was not a good fit for everyone last time.

When are you going?  Sunrise will be completely redone this summer and sailing out of NY, if you prefer to stick with Carnival.  Or you might consider Anthem of the Seas - I like Carnival a lot but have to admit Royal Caribbean seems to keep the ships more updated.  If you need to stick with Baltimore for your departure port, then it's maybe an easy choice - this is the ship that sails from Baltimore, it's been cleaned up a little but still basically the same ship as last time.

July 4th week and we can go out of NY, Jersey or Maryland.......

17 minutes ago, schazzy said:

I wonder if that's something about the Spirit-class in general, The Miracle had excessive aft vibration as well.

Agree to a point. Having sailed on the Miracle, Pride, and Legend, it is much more pronounced on the Pride. :classic_cool:

12 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Agree to a point. Having sailed on the Miracle, Pride, and Legend, it is much more pronounced on the Pride. :classic_cool:

Out of those three, the Pride is the oldest, so that may factor into that. When I cruised on her in 2008, I don't remember her vibration being anything like I experienced on the Miracle earlier this year.

8 hours ago, LongHill44 said:

July 4th week and we can go out of NY, Jersey or Maryland.......

So in that case I would definitely run both the Sunrise and Anthem past them and see what they think as either of them should answer the complaints of being dated from your last cruise on Pride. 

The ship currently known as Carnival Triumph is already being renovated - while it sails rooms are being taken out of service and redone.  Then this spring it will go into an extended dry dock for a couple of months, be partially rebuilt, fully renovated, and renamed Carnival Sunrise.   By July it will be just a few weeks out of this complete overhaul and sailing out of NYC. 

Anthem of the Seas sails out of Cape Liberty / Bayonne NJ. It's only going on 4 years old; it's a huge Quantum class ship with a lot of fantastic features.  Some people feel Royal is an upgrade from Carnival, others feel they are comparable. I personally like certain things about both lines, but I would have no interest in bringing people on a cruise that won't meet their expectations.  I would absolutely love to try either of these ships.  Can you price out these options and then put it to a vote?

10 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Other than cosmetic stuff, the 4K cabins are having the French doors replaced with windows. Hopefully while the ship is out of the water, they will be able to pinpoint the source causing the excessive vibration aft and be able to correct it. :classic_cool:

People who have been on the ship recently are reporting exactly this: the 4K windows, refreshing the staterooms, and trying to fix the vibration. 

I am on the first cruise post drydock (I know, I know but it’s the only week we can go and we’ll make the best of it if there are issues) and will report back when we get home.

• Like 1

We have been on the Pride 9 times, the last was this past October.  I asked about the dry dock and was told general maintenance and and TLC.  Our stateroom had new curtains and bed skirt that match the blue colors of the newer ship.  Also, while walking around the ship we noticed that some staterooms had the carpet changed to the new blue color.  I hope the nightstand lights are changed to add USB to the nightstands, as was stated by JH some time ago.  

We love the Pride and the staff.   

We are sailing in a Vista aft suite in July. We love the wrap around balcony for entertaining.  The last time we sailed on the Pride the rooms were looking very worn. The sofa was losing color and the rugs had stains. I hope they give this wonderful ship some TLC 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mntbikejack said:

According to John Heald Pride is getting the new WIFI, udated serenity area, new arcade, and general maintenance.

They will be replacing the chapel and library with the arcade.  A family room next to the upstairs kids club so parents can stay close  to the younger ones.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Any updates? I am looking at one of their sailings and am not yet convinced this ship received "TLC". 

I haven't seen any updates. Carnival posted the following on the ship sheet...

Completed during dry dock: 2/03/19-2/16/19

-Routine hotel maintenance
-Cosmetic enhancements such as new carpeting and tiling, etc. in lounges and public areas
-Relocated and renovated the Arcade (replaced the chapel and the library)
-The Cove (replaced original location of the arcade)

• Like 1