Mr Sanchos

kbg12379

I’m a first time cruiser going with a group of friends to Cozumel and Progreso in April. We were going to book an excursion through Carnival to Isla Pasion but when doing my research, I came across Mr Sanchos which has much better reviews. Since I’m unfamiliar with cruising, I’m nervous about doing a private excursion. First, how difficult is it to get to our destination and then will we have difficulty getting back to the ship?  Also, how much can we expect to spend on a taxi and is it safe?  Thanks for any information. 

Taxis on Cozumel are well regulated (compared to the crooks in Philly), with fares posted on a board near he can line for your pier.

Sanchos is popular and offers a lively atmosphere. Nachi, suggested above, is qieter, less crowded, and relaxing.  Both offer good food, drinks and service.

9 hours ago, kbg12379 said:

I have some friends who love Nachi. I wouldn’t mind the quiet but we will have a group of teenagers with us as well and they will find calm boring and will want to be entertained!

When we cruise with my 20 something daughters we usually wind up at either Sanchos (AI) or Paradise Beach (pay as you go), for the water toys and atmosphere.  Your call - have a great cruise! :classic_smile:

The well established beach clubs in Cozumel (such as Mr. Sancho's) are some of the safest private excursions, in my opinion. They've been there for years. The taxis are very well regulated as others have mentioned. The prices are well publicized and the island isn't that big so it's easy to allow yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship from these beach clubs. The crime rate is lower in Cozumel than in some other Caribbean cruise ports. I always feel safe there and have no qualms about grabbing a taxi and going wherever I want there. In certain other ports, I would not do that either for safety concerns or travel time to the excursion itself.

Just went there last week. Had an awesome time! Really good food, order all you want of anything. Great drinks too. Hubby loves the Dirty Monkey frozen cocktail. Well worth the $, and I don't even drink and still have a ball every time.

On 1/2/2019 at 3:52 PM, kbg12379 said:

I’m a first time cruiser going with a group of friends to Cozumel and Progreso in April. We were going to book an excursion through Carnival to Isla Pasion but when doing my research, I came across Mr Sanchos which has much better reviews. Since I’m unfamiliar with cruising, I’m nervous about doing a private excursion. First, how difficult is it to get to our destination and then will we have difficulty getting back to the ship?  Also, how much can we expect to spend on a taxi and is it safe?  Thanks for any information. 

Hey kbg12379,

When in Progreso go to a place called the Milk Bar for eating and drinking. It's right on the beach and has a cow sitting in a row boat!! Be careful in port, don't drink the water cause you may end up with Montezuma's revenge. Ask for Charlie or Maya, they are husband and wife. Very nice people and very good food!

😎

We had a great time at Mr. Sanchos the last time we were in Cozumel. It is a very popular stop for cruisers and it is very safe. Taxi's are plentiful at the port, so you won't have a problem getting one. I think it was just under $20 for the 5 of us each way. Totally worth the money for what is provided. We actually had made a reservation there for our stop on New Years Day, but at the last minute the cruise director announced that the Catamaran/snorkel/beach excursion had space and we decided to do do that instead. SO FUN!!!

In Progresso, we were warned by the "professional shopper" on the ship that none of the stores are "Carnival Approved" so to be careful with your purchases. He also advised us to use cash instead of cards. We did the Corona Beach party and had a great time there. Our first choice was the Cenote/bike ride but it was sold out. 

Have a great time!

• 3 weeks later...

Where is the best place to catch a taxi to Mr. Sancho's?   The last time we were in Cozumel, we were sent to three different locations for a taxi.  Odd.  In the past we walked off and they were all waiting there.

2 hours ago, tjmaher said:

Where is the best place to catch a taxi to Mr. Sancho's?   The last time we were in Cozumel, we were sent to three different locations for a taxi.  Odd.  In the past we walked off and they were all waiting there.

Which pier?

3 hours ago, tjmaher said:

There is a cab line just outside of each of the three cruise ship piers with a board listing fares to most of the popular tourist spots.  An expediter will help get your group assigned to a cab.  Fare for up to 4 passengers sharing the taxi to Mr. Sanchos should be about $17 each way.  If cabs are not waiting when you are ready to leave one of the Sanchos staff will call for one - wait should be under 5 min.