SEA PRINCESS - CHILDREN - DECEMBER 2019

Jumping Castle

Hi there

Have booked the PNG Sea Princess cruise for 8th December this year from Brisbane - me and my husband and 14 year old son.  Read some reviews that there don't seem to be many children on Princess cruises at this time of year. Can anyone reassure me that there will be other younger passengers on board!  

Many thanks

Can't speak for Australia - I think you all have a way different vacation schedule than the US but we just got off the Christmas cruise to the Caribbean - there were plenty of kids on board for that one (17 December - 27 December).  All our kids found someone their age.

Hi. I don’t know anything about your itinerary however I’d like to say something about the ship. I’ve been on the Sea Princess and her sister ship, the Sun Princess. They are my favorite ships in the Princess fleet because they are smaller ships.  I am 50+ and enjoy a quieter ship and this one has a some nice deck areas away from the pool. That said- I don’t know if there will be much teen activities on board.  Now- the ship may have had renovations and they’ve put in a zip line, climbing wall and an ice skating rink. Check the website.  Happy Sailing!

27 minutes ago, sunnytag said:

Don't think Sea Princess has rock climbing wall or ice skating and zip lines:classic_huh:...must have been some big dry dock in 2017...….could be wrong.

Don't worry...not everyone who has children needs a rock wall on their cruise ship.

We did the PNG cruise on Sun Princess in November, 2017.  Along with our 6 year old, there were 12 other children on board.  6 teens, and 6 pre-teens.    The teens mostly hung out in the teen area (quite small) playing video games and playing games with the staff.

When not in the clubs, the teens could be seen running down the hallways screaming, breaking things and causing all sorts of mayhem for the older passengers.

Just kidding, they were all well behaved.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, OzCanuck said:

We did the PNG cruise on Sun Princess in November, 2017.  Along with our 6 year old, there were 12 other children on board.  6 teens, and 6 pre-teens.    The teens mostly hung out in the teen area (quite small) playing video games and playing games with the staff.

When not in the clubs, the teens could be seen running down the hallways screaming, breaking things and causing all sorts of mayhem for the older passengers.

Just kidding, they were all well behaved.

You had me for a second...

On December 8th, I think you'll have significantly less teens than you would on a Christmas week cruise but still plenty for your son to hang out with when he's not with you.  My kids actually preferred it when there were fewer kids onboard.  They seemed to have more time with their newfound friends vs. tons of kids coming and going.  Bon voyage!

Thank you for all your replies! I'm happy for there not to be too many kids on board but enough for my son to hang out with.  My

son enjoys all the organised sporting activities too so I'm sure there will be lots to amuse him on board.

Tracie ABD - did you enjoy the cruise and the ports of call in PNG?

We did this cruise in 2017 on the Sun Princess - it was one of the best cruises we have ever done and thoroughly enjoyed the ports we visited.  Lots of World War 2 history -  we had a good historian on board who gave a fascinating insight to the battles that went on in the area.

We did the 2018 Christmas cruise to PNG on the Sea Princess starting 16 December.  There were 144 children aboard.   We were told that on the previous cruise, think it was a 7 night up the Queensland coast, there were 400 children on board so your son should be alright.

Anne

11 minutes ago, Jumping Castle said:

Tracie ABD - did you enjoy the cruise and the ports of call in PNG?

Think you might have meant me?

Well if not I'll tell you anyway.  I thoroughly enjoyed the 15 day trip - in total it was a nice 3 week getaway (from Toronto).  We had my son fund-raise for his birthday and with the money we purchased about $500 in school supplies.  I set up a visit to a severely underfunded primary school about 90 minutes' drive from Alotau.  His dentist also donated 250 toothbrushes (imagine THAT carry-on luggage from YYZ to SYD.)  We donated those in Kirawina.  We also brought some sporting equipment.  It was a pleasure seeing them set aside their stick and mango pit cricket set for the real thing!

I have mixed feelings about the Kitava/Kirawina stops.  Ten years ago these islands had not seen a cruise ship and were quite happily fishing, growing taro and living their simple lives.  Now they seem to have given up a lot of that lifestyle, and don't kid yourself if you think a lot of those carvings they are selling are not mass produced somewhere and crated in.  So I think the cruise industry has done some damage here.  Alotau is much more a commercial centre and obviously it shows.  Still, the Trobriands are fascinating places that most people on this earth will never get a chance to see.   Read Paul Theroux's "Happy Isles of Oceania" for a different perspective on them.

The stop at Rabaul was a dream of mine, having done a minor in Japanese History many years ago and written my thesis on the battles there.  Don't miss the dusty little museum if you go!  What a treasure.  Likewise the Solomon Islands were interesting as well.  I loved seeing the trinkets the kids had dug up around the battlefields and were selling to the tourists.  Definitely authentic.  A bit gruesome, but authentic.

And most importantly, we were able to show our son some perspective - whether he keeps that or not, it can't hurt.

10 hours ago, Eddie4Paws said:

Hi. I don’t know anything about your itinerary however I’d like to say something about the ship. I’ve been on the Sea Princess and her sister ship, the Sun Princess. They are my favorite ships in the Princess fleet because they are smaller ships.  I am 50+ and enjoy a quieter ship and this one has a some nice deck areas away from the pool. That said- I don’t know if there will be much teen activities on board.  Now- the ship may have had renovations and they’ve put in a zip line, climbing wall and an ice skating rink. Check the website.  Happy Sailing!

I can guarantee you that there is no zip line, climbing wall or ice skating rink. You comment that you don't know if there will be much teen activities on board. There should be as it is the start of the summer school holidays.