Y...you and I

E...every Thursday weigh-in

A...around the block you walk

R...rise each day with a plan

2...2 lbs loss a week would be great

0..,zero gains a week is nice

1...1 lb loss a week would be good

9...9 lbs loss in 2 or 3 months would be wonderful

Know we all could have a Good Year..just have to work hard at it!

We ALL have to come in more and say what we're doing. Give

each other tips on what's working for you. We ALL need every bit of help that

we can get.

Edited by Belle
  • Like 1

Good Morning Belle - Really like your post.  

I am down 0.6# which the week before I was up 0.6# ... so I'm where I was on 12/20 .... this is so difficult.  When I don't see a loss for my efforts I get discouraged.  But, I will continue on and hopefully by the end of the month I will have dropped some weight.

Hope everyone had a good week ... It is snowing like crazy here, just a day to stay in and (perhaps) do some after Christmas cleaning !  Jan

Thanks for getting us started, Belle.

Jan, stay safe in the snow.  I've got rain here and lots of after Christmas cleaning too.

I'm up 1# from 12/20.  Not too bad for all the parties, limited cardio, and family food - but also very frustrating to see the gains.  I've gained about 10# in the past year and am within 6# of my starting weight from when I started tracking in Sept. 2013 😞 I am dangerously close to as heavy as my husband, and he is 8" taller than I am😳

My hope is to lose 1-2# per week, with a goal of 25# by June 1st (next cruise) and 50# loss for this year.  My plan is to track all food and increase cardio (get back to running).  I'd like to get 500 miles this year, which would take a lot of work but should be doable. I did good with tracking yesterday and even though I was over calories it still showed a projected loss of about 1#/week.

Another thing I am going to try is increasing fiber and water intake to try to curb hunger.  The past two days have been higher protein breakfasts and that seems to be helping with the hunger too.

Stay strong everyone.

Hello Everyone,

Belle, Thanks for thread and all the great thoughts, we need it.

I stayed same. I'm still needing to lose 5 lbs. from the October cruise. And of course should lose a little more beyond that......

Jan, at least you lost what you gained last week and your total is great. 

Pacruise, that is a big goal you have. I will be sending you positive thoughts. You can do it!

Hope everyone else did well. 

Diana

• Thanks 1

Ack, up here too little over a pound. I did have to go and buy some new clothes though as I have lost 2 inches off of my waist.

Have 86 days till our cruise so there's time to lose some more yet. Though with this weeks announcement from Carnival we are second guessing our decision to go on our first cruise to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Frustrating to have the game changed after one has paid for a trip.

14 minutes ago, FlatlandDave said:

Ack, up here too little over a pound. I did have to go and buy some new clothes though as I have lost 2 inches off of my waist.

Have 86 days till our cruise so there's time to lose some more yet. Though with this weeks announcement from Carnival we are second guessing our decision to go on our first cruise to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Frustrating to have the game changed after one has paid for a trip.

I think having to buy new clothes is wonderful!    So, what was the news from Carnival?   Jan

8 minutes ago, Jan_In_Maine said:

I think having to buy new clothes is wonderful!    So, what was the news from Carnival?   Jan

9 minutes ago, Jan_In_Maine said:

Charges for all room service with the exception of continental breakfast, price increase for the bubbles package. Being newbies it makes me wonder what else may get changed by the time we cruise.  Its not a deal breaker but we are not impressed having things changed after we paid for our cruise, never have had that happen on our land based vacations so at least in the short term it makes me annoyed...

I take it you didn't pre-pay already for the soda package?  That's a bummer that they are upping prices ... Both Royal and Norwegian have been doing the same within the last few years ... and increasing the gratuity amounts.  Its really frustrating, but I guess the cruise lines want to make as much revenue as possible.  Did you pre-pay your gratuities?  Sometimes it is best to pay it before the cruise, just in case they decide to increase that also.  

We went on our first cruise to celebrate our 30th anniversary and have never regretted going ... sometimes not everything is perfect, but it is still an amazing adventure.  In August of 2020 we will be celebrating our 47th anniversary and are planning on doing a vow renewal.  We have invited all the kids (3 and spouses) to go with us (it was their Christmas present for 2018, 2019 & 2020!!!) - We will cruise out of Boston to Bermuda (No plane fare!) - I am excited.    Jan

And away we go... Again... 

Woke up at 219 this morning. 4 years ago I hit an all time low (but mostly unrealistic to maintain) 178.  UUUUGGGGGHHHHHH! 

Plenty of good food on hand, plenty of water and coffee on hand, plenty of gung-ho(edness) on hand, lol. 

Spreadsheet for daily tracking, motivating, and accountability of calories, exercise, etc. Every time I feel like going off track, I go look in the mirror first - jerks the wheel right back onto the road. 

Shooting for 2lbs/week loss and strict on the eating habits. (Super goal is 200 by March 7th, our 10 year anniversary.) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jan_In_Maine said:

I take it you didn't pre-pay already for the soda package?  That's a bummer that they are upping prices ... Both Royal and Norwegian have been doing the same within the last few years ... and increasing the gratuity amounts.  Its really frustrating, but I guess the cruise lines want to make as much revenue as possible.  Did you pre-pay your gratuities?  Sometimes it is best to pay it before the cruise, just in case they decide to increase that also.  

We went on our first cruise to celebrate our 30th anniversary and have never regretted going ... sometimes not everything is perfect, but it is still an amazing adventure.  In August of 2020 we will be celebrating our 47th anniversary and are planning on doing a vow renewal.  We have invited all the kids (3 and spouses) to go with us (it was their Christmas present for 2018, 2019 & 2020!!!) - We will cruise out of Boston to Bermuda (No plane fare!) - I am excited.    Jan

No Jan we haven't paid for the soda package, but the cruise is paid for so hopefully no more curveballs.

Got yet another phone call from Carnival trying to sell me another cruise after I have asked them not to call me as we already have a cruise booked. I work nights and she woke me up so I let her know my concerns( I am on call so have to leave my phone on ).  The answer I got was a "canned" answer about eliminating waste and how they want to be the greenest cruise line in the industry and that they are building a ship that runs on CNG, and they are just doing what the competition has already done.   I said " yes the corporation I work for is doing the same thing about being green". " However you changed the game after I booked my cruise so some of the value we were expecting has been taken away", " I asked "what other changes are you planning to implement as a couple grand to them is small change and to us its a significant expense?"  She then said she understood and no other changes are planned at this time + that the extra charges are minimal. I said, "well minimal charges all add up".  I was assured that we would have a great time and Carnival appreciates our business.    It ended with "I have called you a couple of times and wanted to help in any way we can".  I said "this is the 5th or 6th time you have called!" she ok "you have me there".

On the bright side at least I will burn some calories walking to get our food.

Eek! This week has been so screwy with the Tuesday holiday that I forgot it was Thursday today! 

I am up two pounds from my December 11 weight, which is when my holiday from the scale started. I really thought it would be worse, so I feel okay with the number. So, back to the healthy eating and a resolution to get more exercise. 

Congratulations to everyone who has made it back to the group and renewed their weight loss journey! 

• Like 1

Good afternoon  you six. Great you came in to start the New Year 2019!

It wasn't to bad for everyone this holiday season It could of been worse

if we weren't trying a little bit.  I'm stayed the same but still up the pound

I gained after the cruise at home. (didn't gain on cruise)

I really need to get on the ball and lose some weight. You would think living

alone it would be easy. It's not.  When my husband was alive I made meals

healthy ones but sometimes not but had a schedule. Now I don't cook as much.

I don't eat to much at meals in fact only have 2 meals a day sometimes one

but I pick too much I know plus I like sweets. Try not to have many but need to

give up. I know some will say eat breakfast but I found out if I do, I eat more

during the day. So my first meal of the day is lunch.

OK my confession...Yours now....

What do you find out is your hardest part to lose weight.

Family meals, too many carbs, your love of sweets or french fries? What

are you doing to help yourself to get weight off this year? What have you

found out about yourself eating wise?

Come on and speak up. We're here to lose weight and this is the place to talk.

We're friends trying to do the same thing. I talk, you talk, we get ideas from each other.

Have a good weekend.

Edited by Belle

1 minute ago, Belle said:

Good afternoon  you six. Great you came in to start the New Year 2019!

It wasn't to bad for everyone this holiday season It could of been worse

if we weren't trying a little bit.  I'm stayed the same but still up the pound

I gained after the cruise at home. (didn't gain on cruise)

I really need to get on the ball and lose some weight. You would think living

alone it would be easy. It's not.  When my husband was alive I made meals

healthy ones but sometimes not but had a schedule. Now I don't cook as much.

I don't eat to much at meals in fact only have 2 meals a day sometimes one

but I pick too much I know plus I like sweets. Try not to have many but need to

give up. I know some will say eat breakfast but I found out if I do, I eat more

during the day. So my first meal of the day is lunch.

OK my confession. What do you find out is your hardest part to lose weight.

We're friends trying to do the same thing. I talk, you talk, we get ideas from each other.

Have a good weekend.

Well, for me its water( lots of it ) and raw vegetables that have helped me get down some pounds. What's tough is avoiding HFCS High fructose corn syrup in foods  it really adds the pounds to a body.  My weakness is ice cream I Love it!  I have an addictive personality so instead of a scoop I would eat half a carton. Been clean and sober for 5 years and a month  so addictive things for me are something I really need to watch.  Sometimes its finding out the whys to change our habits.

Habits are made of 3 things Cues-Routines and Rewards. We do things for the Reward ( perceived in our minds) or actual.

The cues don't change but the routines can and the rewards sure can. Eating all that ice cream was a way for me deal with boredom or stress and the sugar and creamy taste was the reward. That however was a diminishing return as it put 25 lbs on my frame. From my doctors request I started eating better and found more ways to move/exercise and the pounds have started coming off> I look and feel better with more energy and the guy I see in the mirror looks better. By changing my routine that's the reward I got.   That's being said there's much to do as I have hit a plateau.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Belle said:

OK my confession...Yours now....

What do you find out is your hardest part to lose weight.

OK, my confession. I can turn down desserts and candy and get through the day without unplanned snacking but the Kryptonite items are:

1. Fast food. I love those greasy burgers that aren't even very good (looking at you Quarter Pounder). And they are so fatty and salty and calorie laden that one isn't enough. I seriously have to deny myself even thinking about eating burger chain food. It's the main reason for my gain because I didn't plan work lunches to bring from home, so I'd go get the bad stuff. Every day. 60 pounds later...

2. Cooking at home. There are just my husband and me. I always cook too much. 

3. Carbs.  I love bread. I don't do a low- or no-carb diet, but I  know that I can't eat bread at breakfast or lunch and still lose weight. A serving at dinner is okay but that's all. 

• Thanks 1

HI all!

Some good tips & confessions here! I'm down 0.4 lbs so that's good BUT then I think oh I ate that & that so I guess it's okay. My

downfall is salty snacks, chocolate, the odd cookie. I like to cook & bake then somebody has to eat the food!

I'm trying not to eat between meals but that hasn't worked out yet! I still haven't learned not to buy the chips etc.

I hope to get motivated to lose 20 lbs before my next cruise at the end of April. Fingers crossed I can do it!!

I read a funny quip the other day:

"I thought I had lost weight then discovered the tie on my jogging pants was undone"!!

Take care & have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello All...Yes we all have our problem foods. Some of us have the same ones and

some have different.  The best would be if we could not eat them at all but if not we

have to learn to just have a SMALL serving. ONE small serving.  Have a taste and

then NO more.  That's what we have to learn.  That's why we're here, to control our

eating, to eat healthy and be accountable and to be with friends trying to do the same

thing, who understand our struggles.

Have a good week eating right and trying to exercise.🍴🚶‍♀️🚶‍♂️

Good Afternoon this Sunday. Are you all busy? Can't come in and say how

your doing.  I've done pretty well but not as good as I should be. Weight still

the same. No gain  but no loss!

How are you doing this weekend?  How do you count your weekend?

I say my weekend starts Fri. night and ends Sun. night. 

Dave, congrats on having big clothes!

Some losses and gains but nothing too bad. 

Hmmm, my biggest struggle is my husband! He loves fast food and loves to eat out. If he weren't around I would rarely eat fast food and only go out now and then. 

So, I try to eat the lesser of the fast food and restaurant evils and bring home leftovers. 

He's been trying to eat better but loves to snack on chips (another thing I could care less about) and can eat bags of cookies. I give him maybe 3 cookies but when I go to bed he goes to town. Bad boy!

Hope everyone is having a good day. In No. Ca we have quite the storm, high winds, crazy rain coming down in buckets. Glad we're at home.

Diana

On 1/4/2019 at 6:04 PM, FlatlandDave said:

Well, for me its water( lots of it ) and raw vegetables that have helped me get down some pounds. What's tough is avoiding HFCS High fructose corn syrup in foods  it really adds the pounds to a body.  My weakness is ice cream I Love it!  I have an addictive personality so instead of a scoop I would eat half a carton. Been clean and sober for 5 years and a month  so addictive things for me are something I really need to watch.  Sometimes its finding out the whys to change our habits.

Habits are made of 3 things Cues-Routines and Rewards. We do things for the Reward ( perceived in our minds) or actual.

The cues don't change but the routines can and the rewards sure can. Eating all that ice cream was a way for me deal with boredom or stress and the sugar and creamy taste was the reward. That however was a diminishing return as it put 25 lbs on my frame. From my doctors request I started eating better and found more ways to move/exercise and the pounds have started coming off> I look and feel better with more energy and the guy I see in the mirror looks better. By changing my routine that's the reward I got.   That's being said there's much to do as I have hit a plateau.

Congratulations on your sobriety, Dave!  Your statement about perceived rewards really speaks to me.  I need to change how I respond to cues again 😞 

I'm definitely an emotional eater and I think that has been a large part of my gain these past years.  I want that immediate reward of filling the emptiness vs. the long term reward of weight loss.  I also drink too much soft drink - I want the caffeine pick-me-up (which likely doesn't really help) but don't want to take the time to make unsweetened tea (and I don't like coffee).  I drink diet, but also realize that still cues hunger.

We've been doing good this year at tracking food and eating heartier breakfasts, but activity level isn't where it should be.  I think for me the key is diet and fitness, that diet alone will not be sustainable for me.

Jo - have you considered donating your baked goods to your local fire department, hospital, etc?  I like to bake too, but it is usually too much for our family.  Maybe you can bless others with your goodies when the baking mood strikes, still get your baking fix but bless others with the product.

Welcome Bchgrl33!  I haven't done beachbody yet.  My husband and I run several 5K's (and the occasional 10K) throughout the year and try to have running plans between races. We also meet with a personal trainer 2x per week for strength circuit training targeting legs, chest, bi's, tri's, shoulder, and back.

Hi to all, especially to my neighbor Diana in Roseville (I am in Orangevale).

My husband likes to eat out too.  I often bring home leftovers from my restaurant meal, but I wonder if that just makes me eat more food that is fattening.  So I am going to try something new...leaving it on my plate, and eating home-cooked food without added salt, etc. when I am home.  

15 days till  my cruise, but the goal of eating healthy is for each and every day.

Welcome Relaxedfun!

I sometimes bring leftovers home too (don't eat out very often anymore), but stretch/repurpose them so not as heavy/salted.  Some examples would be making fried rice or maybe a frittata with the left over protein (diced veggies if any left over); loaded baked potato if a sauce based dish - split across 2 potatoes if enough; fry onion and potatoes (left over potato or my own raw, adjusting times) with left over protein).