Lots of questions regarding departing from Barcelona

Help please!

I have talked my daughter and granddaughters into coming on a girls cruise in August. They have never cruised before, as it was my suggestion I have took on all the arrangements. In my panic when I booked (in case they changed their minds) I booked transfers from Barcelona airport to the ship $20 x4 I have just looked into things a little close and now think that a taxi might be cheaper and I am in control of that situation - yes Im a control freak. With that said I have a few question and would be grateful for any advice / insight anyone can offer me.

Ship departs at 10pm does anyone know what time we can board?

I saw a cost of 39 euro for the cab but not sure if that is for the 4 of us or each. I guess being 4 with luggage we will need a mini van?

Whats the port at Barcelona like is it small, large hectic, confusing or fairly straight forward?

Can I cancel to transfers with Princess now I have added them to my booking?

My granddaughters are 12 & 13 so not small kids, they can help with luggage etc.

Thanks for reading and like I said I would appreciate any advice offered.

• Thanks 1

You can cancel the transfers, but you may have problems with the cab. The four of you will fill the seats in the cab. You will have trouble fitting luggage in the trunk. You may need a larger vehicle which will negate any savings. The Princess transfer will probably be less hassle, so I would stick with it.

The port is large and busy. However, with either choice of transfer, they will take you to the ship, so you will not be walking around trying to find where to go.

Have a wonderful cruise.

4 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

You can cancel the transfers, but you may have problems with the cab. The four of you will fill the seats in the cab. You will have trouble fitting luggage in the trunk. You may need a larger vehicle which will negate any savings. The Princess transfer will probably be less hassle, so I would stick with it.

The port is large and busy. However, with either choice of transfer, they will take you to the ship, so you will not be walking around trying to find where to go.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks so much for your reply. I think I may just stick with the transfers I have booked, less hassle by the sounds of it.

Even on cruises we’ve sailed that departed in late evening check-in began by 11:00 AM & onboard by noon.  It was the same time even on other cruises when the ship didn’t sail until the next day.

i embarked in Barcelona in October 2017 which was an efficient process.  Carnival Corporation has built a new cruise ship terminal for all of their brands that opened in May 2018.  We found the cruise ship area of the port to be safe to access & on another cruise during a day in port walked to the Las Ramblas area of Barcelona.

We stayed 2 nights at a hotel prior to embarkation & used their shuttle service to the port so don’t have any transportation experience from the airport to the ship.  You might want to research shuttle services to compare to a taxi.  We used a mini van shuttle in Rome that met us as we exited the airport to take us to our pre-cruise hotel.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Barcelona is very simple for embarkation. While we haven't gone directly from the Airport to the ship, I do know that any transfer or taxi will drive you into the port and let you off where you need to be, minimal walking or figuring out where to go will be needed. If you could arrive a day ahead of time and get a hotel, Barcelona is an awesome city to explore during the day and some great places to eat along Las Ramblas in the evening. 

You will most likely be able to board just after 11am, although it may be less crowded if you waited until 1pm or so.

With two taxis the price will be about the same.  We have had success with cruise line transfers (when the price was reasonable).  Generally, your luggage goes on a truck and is delivered to your room.  You do not have to drag it through the terminal.  We have gone out of Barcelona twice and while a large port the embarkation has gone smoothly.

4 hours ago, mskaufman said:

With two taxis the price will be about the same.  We have had success with cruise line transfers (when the price was reasonable).  Generally, your luggage goes on a truck and is delivered to your room.  You do not have to drag it through the terminal.  We have gone out of Barcelona twice and while a large port the embarkation has gone smoothly.

I like the sounds of handing over the luggage to the drive and not seeing it again until we get to our stateroom. Thanks for the heads up.

Barcelona is very easy......and there are plenty of minivans that will carry all of you....Transfers that run from cruise line sometimes you are waiting for other passengers.......If you have not booked your flights yet, consider flying in day before to avoid flight snafus.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, caripoo said:

Barcelona is very easy......and there are plenty of minivans that will carry all of you....Transfers that run from cruise line sometimes you are waiting for other passengers.......If you have not booked your flights yet, consider flying in day before to avoid flight snafus.

Oh yeah, flight snafus in Barcelona. 🙂 Last time we were there (2016) there was a baggage handlers work action that Air Canada "forgot" to tell us about before we landed.  Luckily we flew in a day before.  However, there were people who had a cruise that afternoon and had to make a call whether to wait for their luggage or go to the port.  After about 90 minutes our luggage showed up (unannounced).

We will be doing the same but our hotel is only 5 minutes walk from the Columbus monument. Last year it cost 3€ or 5€ return for use of the port shuttle bus. We’ll do the return trip as we have time to kill when we disembark for the airport. 

9 hours ago, RickCanada said:

we plan on slumming it. We will take the Metro from our AirB&B and then take the shuttle from Columbus Circle to the ship.