Seaside Docked Only in Evening - Things to Do?

abisha

On 1/3/2019 at 10:46 PM, abisha said:

Looking for things to do in the evening in San Juan as our ship is only there in the evening and leaves at 1 AM.

Our ship is in port form 3-10. We just plan on getting off the ship and doing some shopping close to the port. I think the shuttles     stop running at 6pm.                                                                                                                                                                                              

If you're not into eating at restaurants in port (Old San Juan in loaded with them) or bar hopping (lots of great places) or shopping, check out a tour to the Fajardo Bio Bay. It only runs at night since you're taken by kayak or by electric boat (recently back up running) into a bay full off dinophagellates. They are microorganisms that live in the water and glow in the dark when agitated. It's a pretty awesome experience so long there's not a full moon out. It's basically the only off-the-beaten-path tour available in the evenings that comes to mind. If shopping in the old city leaves you wanting more you can catch a cab to Plaza Las Americas mall, about 20 minutes away. The mall closes at 9pm so you'll have plenty of time to get back using either Uber or taxis.

We will be in port from 1pm - 10pm late October and was wondering the same.  The only other port that we've been to in the evening was Bermuda and it was in October also.  Everything closed so early that we were back on the ship by 8pm.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the flamenco show at Triana Restaurant on Recinto Street. No cover - just buy minimum $20 food and drink per person. Family friendly. Starts at 7:30 most nights. Not open on Monday.

The Raices Fountain is a gorgeous site at night. You can take beautiful night photos by walking around Old San Juan.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/6/2019 at 11:01 PM, Stinger-pr said:

If you're not into eating at restaurants in port (Old San Juan in loaded with them) or bar hopping (lots of great places) or shopping, check out a tour to the Fajardo Bio Bay. It only runs at night since you're taken by kayak or by electric boat (recently back up running) into a bay full off dinophagellates. They are microorganisms that live in the water and glow in the dark when agitated. It's a pretty awesome experience so long there's not a full moon out. It's basically the only off-the-beaten-path tour available in the evenings that comes to mind. If shopping in the old city leaves you wanting more you can catch a cab to Plaza Las Americas mall, about 20 minutes away. The mall closes at 9pm so you'll have plenty of time to get back using either Uber or taxis.

Do you happen to know the name of the company that does boat tours to El Fajardo/Bio Bay?

On 7/1/2019 at 1:22 PM, seagunthera said:

Do you happen to know the name of the company that does boat tours to El Fajardo/Bio Bay?

While I'm not supposed to point to a single company since I'm local, try searching for "electric boat fajardo bio bay". It will take some digging but it should give you an idea as to what to look for. You can also call some of the "kayak-only" companies to see if they can point you in the right direction. Sorry I couldn't help more.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gregg00ss said:

So my ship is in port from 3:30-9:30 and I SO wanted to do this tour.  Problem is, the tour begins at 7:15, is roughly an hour and a half long and the site is a 70 minute drive from the port. Further, unless you have a rental car, the lady who  contacted said a RT taxi is about $200 (not sure of the Uber scene there?).

PS_ Thank you Stingr-PR and Greg00ss for giving us the site/info.  Hopefully someone will be able to swing the times:)

• 4 weeks later...

This place offers evening concerts and is close to Ft El Morro.

I did the electric boat in Vieques. It was really  cool because you're higher up so you see more than from a kayak. We saw a sting ray gliding through the water.

I've done the kayak twice. Lots of fun, too, because it's like playing bumper kayaks until you get out of the narrow channel and into the lagoon.

I came a few days early so I could do the tours.

4 hours ago, Ms411 said:

This place offers evening concerts and is close to Ft El Morro.

I did the electric boat in Vieques. It was really  cool because you're higher up so you see more than from a kayak. We saw a sting ray gliding through the water.

I've done the kayak twice. Lots of fun, too, because it's like playing bumper kayaks until you get out of the narrow channel and into the lagoon.

I came a few days early so I could do the tours.

What is the place that offers evening concerts? Or is it called "This place"?

99% of ships visiting San Juan for the day dock at the Old San Juan piers 1-4. Carnival usually uses pier 4 and I have seen the Divina docked at pier 3. This is along the SJ waterfront, across the street from Sr. Frogs and the Old San Juan Sheraton Hotel.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We are visiting on a Tuesday night in March, coming in on the Celebrity Edge.  I think we are going to do dinner/flamenco show at Triana - where would you recommend for fun bars?  Live music? We are in our early 30s and would love to find some authentic lively bars/live music, but also trying to set our expectations realistically as its a Tuesday night.

La Factoria is the bar where some scenes in the video Despacito was filmed. One of top 50 bars in the world. We went on a Friday night, I think, and it was packed but lots of fun. You have to Google to read descriptions and locate it on Google maps. 

There's also a rooftop wine bar but the name escapes me. I'll look it up and post it because I'm going back to OSJ in March and I need to add it to my list of places to go.

The rooftop wine bar is Al Fresco. Description here.

Alfresco Rooftop Wine Bar

Alfresco Rooftop Wine Bar is an intimate terrace that opens as the sun sets. Housed in the same building as St. Germaine Bistro and The Mezzaninecocktail bar, Alfresco is popular for its view of the beautiful colonial buildings of Old San Juan, daily happy hour specials and extensive wine list and hors d'oeuvre menu. The terrace is also available for private events like birthdays and bachelorette parties.