Viking Mekong Cruise July-August 2018

Stevie44875

https://www.flickr.com/gp/155676240@N07/Q93Q28

sorry photos go uploaded backwards in order, so start at the very last page 😃

The hubby and I (mid 30's) did the Viking Mekong river cruise at the end of July to August in 2018. We usually cruise ocean with Royal so this was a change of pace for us. 

First off our journey started with land portion. The hotels we stayed at were beautiful! They were either in walking distance or a short taxi ride to places of interest. I will say with this itinerary, you don't have much free time. 

The ship fit right into the area and scenery. We were lucky to be able to book one of the two suites and I would recommend this. For us it was only a few hundred more and well worth it. The suite has a nice open arena with a desk and hutch with plenty of room to spread out in. Also you get to have a couple chairs in the front of your cabin to sit and relax. We had two entrance doors also to our room. The downfall was the bed was very hard. No good night sleeps for me.

Our last hotel in Ho Chi Minh was outstanding! 

Thoughts on cruise:

-Jam packed itinerary (downfall not much time to enjoy the area yourself or the hotel/pool). We ended up skipping a tour and napping in the afternoon cause we were so tired.

-Sometimes the guide talks on and on and for me I would rather explore and hear less talking. You can get good at wearing your headphones and drowning out the guide. Let me say he was very full of information and very informative, just not my style.  

-Meet great people. The average age was 60's I would say so for us it was nice enjoyable cruise. 

-Food was very good. Downside the dining room on the ship is very stuffed and hard to move your chair to get up.

-Saw many great sights and locations.

I would recommend this cruise! Hope my link works above for our pictures...sorry there are soooo many!

Edited by Stevie44875

Recommendations- take plenty of light weight clothing as it is HOT there and we changed clothes twice a day. Lots of bug spray.  I wore good walking sandals a lot and didn't have any problems navigating through temples and such. If a place says no bare shoulders or knees- take this seriously as they will deny you entrance and you can't use a scarf or wrap as a cover up. We had one lady get denied because of this.

• 2 months later...

We are looking at booking 18-21 days in Cambodia, Vietnam for  river cruising for Feb.2020. Considering Vantage, Scenic and  Avalon with Halong Bay extension.  Hoping to hear from someone who has done this trip.  Vantage is currently our choice but we are unsure.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:11 AM, Stevie44875 said:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/155676240@N07/Q93Q28

sorry photos go uploaded backwards in order, so start at the very last page

The hubby and I (mid 30's) did the Viking Mekong river cruise at the end of July to August in 2018.  The hotels we stayed at were beautiful!

Nice posting, pictures and details from your Southeast Asia "adventure".  Great sharing by our "neighbors" in Ohio.  Saw from the pictures that you stayed at the Saigon Reverie, right?  Pretty amazing hotel!!

For the benefit of SPARKYGOLFGIR, below is the link for the summary and visuals from our Avalon Mekong sailing, plus stops in Hong Kong, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, Seim Reap, Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue and Danang.  Happy to answer any added questions.  One of the keys is consider carefully what else you can and will do before and after your Mekong sailing.  It's a long distance to SE Asia and you want to maximize your experience while in this fascinating region. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 44,686 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing photos from your Viking Mekong River cruise last August.  I thoroughly  enjoyed viewing them and am even more excited at booking a tour for early 2020.  Is there any need to exchange some currency prior to our trip or did you find ATMs readily  accessible?

Definitely ATM. You can find them all over. Our guide was more than happy to show or take us to good ATMs along the way. Cambodia we didn't exchange money and take plenty of small bills. Our cruise ship was helpful if we needed large USD broken down. Vietnam you will need to exchange. We used ATMs.

On 3/7/2019 at 11:37 AM, Stevie44875 said:

Definitely ATM. You can find them all over. Our guide was more than happy to show or take us to good ATMs along the way. Cambodia we didn't exchange money and take plenty of small bills. Our cruise ship was helpful if we needed large USD broken down. Vietnam you will need to exchange. We used ATMs.

YES, agree for using an ATM in Vietnam to obtain the Dongs there.  Worked well and easy for us during our many days all over that interesting country.  Also, agree as to not worrying about getting the local currency for Cambodia.  Their currency in Cambodia is not worth much and has high fluctuations, etc.    Between your credit card or dollars, that will be fine in that country, assuming you are not there for a long period of time.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 63,035 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Hello Stevie 44875

Booked with AMA starting from HCM to Siem Reap at the same period as you did.Can you tell me how is the weather in August? I dont care about the heat but much more concerned of havy rain.Thank you

• 7 months later...

We are heading off to Southeast Asia for the Viking Magnificent Mekong Cruise in late November. I see we are scheduled to visit a school in Cambodia. I'd welcome suggestions as to what sort of gifts to bring for the children. Thanks in advance. 

• 3 months later...

Hi Tandempam,

We are doing the Viking Mekong trip in March. There doesn't seem to be many posts about it on CC. I was just wondering how you got on on your trip?

Any tips - good or bad.

What did you do about Cambodia Visa - at the border?

Thanks 

Richard