Laundry question - First Time Platinum

GeorgiaMomof4

Hi all!  Sailing in mid February on the Sunshine for an 8 day cruise and this will be my first platinum cruise.

I know that some free laundry is a perk of platinum but was just wondering what your experiences were

with Carnival doing your laundry?  I'm worried about colors and shrinkage due to too hot temps in washing

or drying.

Anyone have any experience they care to share?

Thanks in advance!

26 minutes ago, GeorgiaMomof4 said:

Hi all!  Sailing in mid February on the Sunshine for an 8 day cruise and this will be my first platinum cruise.

I know that some free laundry is a perk of platinum but was just wondering what your experiences were

with Carnival doing your laundry?  I'm worried about colors and shrinkage due to too hot temps in washing

or drying.

Anyone have any experience they care to share?

Thanks in advance!

I have used the service when my husband went through more Polo type shirts than he expected.  I would not send anything 'delicate' through this service but for shorts/t-shirts/etc. is fine. 

Congratulations on becoming platinum! I only let the cruise line wash items like socks, underwear, jeans, some t-shirts..not my husband's Del Sol's which he loves..lol..basically older stuff or items I'm not concerned about shrinking or fading. That's just me though. I'm super careful when washing items at home and hang dry most items. When we are on the longer cruises we usually do a few loads of laundry on our own for our nicer stuff. It's great having the free laundry perk though. We used it quite a few times on our 14 day itinerary. Have a wonderful cruise!

I use it every time and no problems. I was told that they put all your stuff in a bag and wash it that way,,in hot water and was told not to put things with colors that run. Not sure how many bags we get free,, just ask but roll your cloths up and cram them in there even if the bag tears a little. you will get them back the same day washed and folded very nice. Dont forget to mark the paper as to how many things in the bag. Any questions just your cabin stewart. Have fun on your cruise

We use it for socks, tshirts, underwear, jeans, gym stuff, etc.  Nothing 'nice'.  It is a great perk and cuts our packing down significantly.  As PP said, roll and pack it into the bag.  We regularly send it out in 1 bag and have it returned in 2 or 3 bags.  

• Like 1

I use the service for durable goods also.  I call it their "Boil & Bake" service.

Don't forget that's THREE bags per Platinum guest. Ask your steward for the bags in advance. Write down what you sent, and take a picture of the "ticket" you send out with the wash.

Enjoy the service!

🛳️

We use the free laundry on all the 7+ day cruises, usually on the second to last day. Normally, it is returned the afternoon of the morning we give the bags to our room steward. I put everything in the bags and have never had an issue with what is returned. It's so nice to go home with most of the cruise clothes all cleaned and ready to put away.

I agree that you only want to send out non delicate clothes. The clothes have a “funky” smell when they are returned. I do request cold water wash and perm press dry. I also send colored clothes together. One bag with whites in the other as I do believe they are all washed together.  I wash anything I need on longer cruises myself because I also do not put them in the dryer. It is a nice service though that we do appreciate especially for husbands play clothes, underwear and jeans.

As others have stated, I only use the free wash for whites and any clothes (like workout clothes) that I don’t care if something happens to them. I have been told/warned by several room stewards that everything is washed in hot water, which others have mentioned in this thread. 

We use it to pack roughly half as much, since we send out laundry around mid-cruise.  As others have said, we don't send anything important or delicate.  Assume it will be  washed/dried hot with others' items.  We carefully inventory and keep pictures of the forms, but have not had a problem.  Have a good cruise! 

Edited by PalmTree601

My husband and I are both Platinum so we are able to do laundry every day with the three bag per person limit. It's so nice to not come home with as much Dirty Laundry. As others have stated, you don't want to send anything you are super concerned with. I do not own a dryer, living in Florida means the sun is my dryer LOL. It's nice when I come home I can tell that something was washed on the cruise because it smells like the dryer and so I think back to the cruise. Yes, I will admit I am a clean laundry sniffer LOL

My steward was not the best on my first platinum cruise, so I had to ask another steward what to do!  The bags (plastic now, not paper) are in the desk drawer.  Have it in the bag on your bed before at 9AM and it will be back, clean and folded the same day.  The plastic bag holds way more than the paper bags, but there is a weird little strip that will pull off the top, making it smaller...not sure why!!  I agree with everyone, don't mix colors and whites...one of my tanks came back more gray than white!!  Don't send delicates, and I'm kicking myself because I only sent out two bags instead of three.  🙂

2 hours ago, cmecruise1962 said:

The plastic bag holds way more than the paper bags, but there is a weird little strip that will pull off the top, making it smaller...not sure why!!

When we're finished stuffing the bag full, we use the pull off strip to tie around the top of the bag so nothing will fall out.  I'm not sure if that's the intended purpose, but it's what we do.

Edited by Happy0810

This is by far my favorite part of being Platinum.  I have never had a problem with "shrinkage" (lol) or color fading - but I would not put anything that you would be heartbroken/angry over if it came back different from when it went in.  I also always put a $5 bill in with the laundry - and literally get it back in a few hours.  I love the way I can put these neatly folded clothes into my suitcase so I don't have to do a wash the minute I get home.