Hong Kong Airport Connection Time

bleacher04

Hi Cruisers!  I think I know the answer to this already, but I am going to throw this question out anyway:

I will be looking at flights soon from Toronto to Singapore.  The obvious connecting airport is Hong Kong, and I see that Air Canada offers me the choice of a 60-minute layover, or a 4-hour layover.  This is our first trip to Asia, and I would never think of booking a 60-minute international connection through (for example) Frankfurt, but it would be really nice to arrive in Singapore at 8 pm instead of 11 pm.

Any comments from more experienced travellers?  Is Hong Kong "special" in some way that a 60 minute connection (after a 15hr45 flight) is actually do-able?  Or am I better off trusting my instinct and booking the 4-hour connection and just chilling in Hong Kong airport?

Thanks!

Unless get to stay on your plane and continue on to Singapore I'd chill out at HKG for 4 hours.

You'll have to go through security again before going to the departure side.

We had a similar choice both ways and opt'd for the 4 hour layover.   I had lounge privileges so we had some food & drinks.  Some lounges will have showers which might feel great after 15 hrs :classic_smile:, but makes you very sleepy :classic_sleep:.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philob said:

Unless get to stay on your plane and continue on to Singapore I'd chill out at HKG for 4 hours.

You'll have to go through security again before going to the departure side.

We had a similar choice both ways and opt'd for the 4 hour layover.   I had lounge privileges so we had some food & drinks.  Some lounges will have showers which might feel great after 15 hrs :classic_smile:, but makes you very sleepy :classic_sleep:.

We will be changing planes.  And changing airlines, Air Canada to Singapore Airlines (although the SA flight will be a codeshare).

Better to take the safe choice I think.  And I will have lounge privileges, for after we get tired of exploring the terminal.

26 minutes ago, bleacher04 said:

We will be changing planes.  And changing airlines, Air Canada to Singapore Airlines (although the SA flight will be a codeshare).

Better to take the safe choice I think.  And I will have lounge privileges, for after we get tired of exploring the terminal.

To go to the "outside" terminal you'll need to go through HK immigration and again coming back into the "airside".

Instead of wasting an hour going through immigration, best to stay on the airside.  You'll only have to go through security between the Arrival and Departure areas.  There's a small mall in the departure area. 

Have a good trip! :classic_smile:

Edited by Philob
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Philob said:

To go to the "outside" terminal you'll need to go through HK immigration and again coming back into the "airside".

Instead of wasting an hour going through immigration, best to stay on the airside.  You'll only have to go through security between the Arrival and Departure areas.  There's a small mall in the departure area. 

Have a good trip! :classic_smile:

Thanks!  We'll stay put airside...

We fly Air Canada (And Cathay Pacific) to Hong Kong from Toronto all the time and I would never do a one hour layover.  Take your time and go with the 4 hr layover.  The HK airport is wonderful with lots of things to see and do.  (But not as amazing at Changi airport in Singapore).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Betty in Cozumel said:

We fly Air Canada (And Cathay Pacific) to Hong Kong from Toronto all the time and I would never do a one hour layover.  Take your time and go with the 4 hr layover.  The HK airport is wonderful with lots of things to see and do.  (But not as amazing at Changi airport in Singapore).

Thanks!