Golf Cart Rental?

walkingfor3days

We have never rented one as we always get tricycles to ride, but I did stop and chat with Sunshine Scooters once to price them for a family trip. Decided that was not the way for us to go. Keep in mind that is is the same as a car, and you follow the same rules including parking on the street and paying for parking.

Be sure you rent an electric one and not a gas powered one.  The gas powered ones are really loud and spew fumes.  Not that nice to enjoy a ride in.

A&M Rentals is the one I’ve always recommended to friends, but Sunshine is fine as well.  I would shop around for the best rate.  All the companies are pretty similar.

I personally think they’re a waste of money given how small the island is and the fact that there is a free circulator bus.  https://www.carfreekeywest.com/duval-loop-bus

i would spend the money on Key West Pink Shrimp and Stone Crab Claws instead. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 2:52 PM, keywester33 said:

I don't eat sea food. :)  I'd spend all my money on key lime pie if I could.  I know we don't need a golf cart to get around, but we enjoy driving them.  It is still up in the air if we're going to rent one.  

• 5 months later...

We're thinking about renting a golf cart for our THanksgiving 2020 cruise... DH has issues walking too far and I'm afraid the HOHO Trolley is too limiting- if we get off at a particular stop I've heard it's very hard to get back on.

So if we rent the electric car, is it that hard to find parking spaces around Key West? We'd like to do the usual touristy things (Southern Most Point, Key Lime, driving around sightseeing and just stopping where the spirit moves us) and we thought this would be the best way to do that... but if we're going to find it hard to get parking, or if it's really expensive, that might not be the best angle. If so, I guess we're back to the HOHO Trolley...

Parking in Key West, especially near the popular areas is challenging.  There are public lots where you could park and then walk a while.  Most charge (maybe all of them, but I've only used a few) 4.00 an hour / 32.00 a day.  If your plan is to, say, drive to Kermit's and get some pie, then drive to the Southermost point,  then drive to somewhere in Duval to shop (for example), I think you'll find it incredibly challenging at each location and even if you park at the nearest lots each time,  I don't know if your parking receipt from one lot will allow you to avoid a ticket at another if your hour isn't up yet.

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2019 at 2:52 PM, keywester33 said:

Be sure you rent an electric one and not a gas powered one.  The gas powered ones are really loud and spew fumes.  Not that nice to enjoy a ride in.

A&M Rentals is the one I’ve always recommended to friends, but Sunshine is fine as well.  I would shop around for the best rate.  All the companies are pretty similar.

I personally think they’re a waste of money given how small the island is and the fact that there is a free circulator bus.  https://www.carfreekeywest.com/duval-loop-bus

Hello,

WoW never knew about this bus that might be great as it’s like a hop on hop off but free.

is it narrated as well and do they give maps of stop or better to print it in advance ?

thanks

Sea ya 

Eric

On 9/8/2019 at 1:54 AM, nimiq said:

Hello,

WoW never knew about this bus that might be great as it’s like a hop on hop off but free.

is it narrated as well and do they give maps of stop or better to print it in advance ?

thanks

Sea ya 

Eric

The link posted above has the route map.  There are also route maps on the bus.  The bus is not narrated and is not a tour, but the drivers are friendly and will answer questions or tell you where to get off for certain attractions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1