RC Mediterranean beaches excursions advice

Batewolf

I'm booked on the med beaches cruise this summer and could do with some advice about excursions. I've felt ripped off on package holiday excursions before. What excursions are worth the money and what ports could we do ourselves independently?

52 minutes ago, Batewolf said:

I'm booked on the med beaches cruise this summer and could do with some advice about excursions. I've felt ripped off on package holiday excursions before. What excursions are worth the money and what ports could we do ourselves independently?

It would help if you would list the ports you will be visiting.

2 hours ago, Batewolf said:

Gibraltar 

Cartegena

Valencia

Barcelona

Nice

Ajaccio

Malaga

Cadiz

Okay, I'll bite: Why, with the historical, architectural, archeological and/or cultural opportunities that exist in those locations, would you want to waste your time going to "the beach?"

Want beach? Go to Polynesia.

46 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Okay, I'll bite: Why, with the historical, architectural, archeological and/or cultural opportunities that exist in those locations, would you want to waste your time going to "the beach?"

Want beach? Go to Polynesia.

Probably because they are from the cold and rainy UK and want a beach other than Blackpool.  But I do have to agree, the Med. is not about beaches, unless you are traveling with little people.  EM

The UK  has beautiful beaches especially in Cornwall but we don’t always get sunny summers and the water’s freezing. Millions of Brits head to the med for sunny beach holidays. However in this instance, Mediterranean beaches is just the name of the cruise. We picked it because we haven’t been to many of the places it stops at.  What I wanted feedback on was whether it’s better to do the cruise line’s excursions or visit the areas independently. 

Okay, that changes things a little.  It sounded as though you were asking advice about the beaches, but if you are asking about touring the sites in those ports, I suggest some reading on the Ports of Call boards here, as well as joining the ROLL CALL for your cruise, where you can connect with others sailing with you, and see what they are planning.  Cadiz is a very walkable city, you dock right downtown.  The big draw in Malaga is a trip to the Alhambra.  In Barcelona, don't miss Sagrada Familia, and you must go inside.  It is very different from your Norman or Gothic cathedral...EM

• Like 1

A fellow cruiser called at the Travel desk at the dock gate in Cartagena and was advised to take a taxi tour. The driver played a tape in English relevant to the sites he stopped at, such as the Roman theatre. Not a long tour, but the man was pleased with what he saw.

There's a marine museum near the dock- take your passport if you're a senior for a discount.

In Gibraltar, if you walk up the street to the bus station, you will find everyone is eager to help you on to the right bus for the cable car, or beach etc... and it's cheap, and in £££ Even cheaper if you're a senior. It's a great time to chat to the locals as well.

Cadiz has  marked trails round the city; if you go on a tour to the horses in Jerez, you'll probably end up spending half the day in a sherry building... ok for the drinks after, but can be tedious. I'd think of going on a private tour there.

Oh, there's usually HOHO buses near the dock .

• Like 1

In Barcelona, you should have no problems getting around/touring on your own. 

(Lots to see and do, excellent public transportation, and a city used to dealing with visitors.)

Edited by One&Only

You will get differing opinions on cruise ship excursions vs private tours vs Do It Yourself (DIY).  Must depends on your spirit of adventure and other personal preferences.  DW and I fall into the DIY camp, and we have been mostly doing our own thing around the world for many decades.  For us, being stuck on a large tour bus and herded around like cattle is close to torture.  But others love the ease of just booking a ship excursion.  And for the record we have been to all of your ports (some...many times) and DIY in them all.  Lots of options for most of those places although those options are really impacted by the length of your port stay.

Hank

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 10:51 PM, Hlitner said:

You will get differing opinions on cruise ship excursions vs private tours vs Do It Yourself (DIY).  Must depends on your spirit of adventure and other personal preferences.  DW and I fall into the DIY camp, and we have been mostly doing our own thing around the world for many decades.  For us, being stuck on a large tour bus and herded around like cattle is close to torture.  But others love the ease of just booking a ship excursion.  And for the record we have been to all of your ports (some...many times) and DIY in them all.  Lots of options for most of those places although those options are really impacted by the length of your port stay.

Hank

That's reassuring thank you.  I'm looking at hop on hop off buses in Barcelona  and have pre-booked a private taxi tour at gibraltar through the tourist office at a fraction of the cost of the RC price.

On 1/5/2019 at 1:59 PM, Essiesmom said:

Okay, that changes things a little.  It sounded as though you were asking advice about the beaches, but if you are asking about touring the sites in those ports, I suggest some reading on the Ports of Call boards here, as well as joining the ROLL CALL for your cruise, where you can connect with others sailing with you, and see what they are planning.  Cadiz is a very walkable city, you dock right downtown.  The big draw in Malaga is a trip to the Alhambra.  In Barcelona, don't miss Sagrada Familia, and you must go inside.  It is very different from your Norman or Gothic cathedral...EM

Thank you.  Will look at doing them DIY I think.  Am looking at using the hop on hop off bus in Barcelona.  Have you used this?  Some in our party want to go to the nou camp stadium.  I can pre-book our own tour of the stadium and get a taxi I think.  Have you visited nou camp?

On 1/5/2019 at 9:51 PM, jocap said:

A fellow cruiser called at the Travel desk at the dock gate in Cartagena and was advised to take a taxi tour. The driver played a tape in English relevant to the sites he stopped at, such as the Roman theatre. Not a long tour, but the man was pleased with what he saw.

There's a marine museum near the dock- take your passport if you're a senior for a discount.

In Gibraltar, if you walk up the street to the bus station, you will find everyone is eager to help you on to the right bus for the cable car, or beach etc... and it's cheap, and in £££ Even cheaper if you're a senior. It's a great time to chat to the locals as well.

Cadiz has  marked trails round the city; if you go on a tour to the horses in Jerez, you'll probably end up spending half the day in a sherry building... ok for the drinks after, but can be tedious. I'd think of going on a private tour there.

Oh, there's usually HOHO buses near the dock .

Brilliant thank you.  My dad can't walk too far so will use HOHO buses where possible I think.

Gibralter - Taxi tour - we just picked one up at the port and it was great!

Cartegena - Snorkeling is possible here or go to the Roman ruins

Valencia - they have a 17 stop HoHo bus

Barcelona - they also have a HoHo bus.  Recommend: Las Ramblas, Bouqueria Market (on Las Ramblas), La Sagrada Familia, Casa Batlo, Parc Guell, Casa Mila

Nice - Le Petit train de Nice - it's only an hour but will give you an overview of Nice.

Ajaccio - great place for a wine tour!

Malaga - Arrange a private tour to the Alhambra - it is just fabulous or alternatively to Ronda.  Either of these are well worth visiting. 

Cadiz - we went Sherry tasting there - it was really interesting and fun!